2001 coming back in 70mm, unrestored

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HiFi Guy 008, Mar 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld likes this.
  2. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Playing at Silver theater in Silver Spring MD in 70mm

Wes H and IronWaffle like this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I hardly ever brush my vinyl. I'm with Roy Gandy of Rega -- the hell with crackles and dust! Who cares? I can groove between the pops!

4. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Saw it tonight! I thought it was great and looked beautiful. Yes there are some scratches here and there etc. it was mostly just noticeable for the first few minutes, after which my brain acclimated and was just immersed. While this is one of my favorite movies I have never seen it in the theatre before so I don't have a digital version to compare w in that setting.

The special effects hold up astonishingly well. Even when projected I could scarcely figure out how the sausage was made at all. Ok the monkeys sure but remember- they're not monkeys, they're early man so we really don't know what they really looked like. Take that slate!! Also the sound is amazing and maybe the loudest movie I've ever seen. Open the pod bay doors......

5. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I'm glad some are discovering or rediscovering 2001. Kubrick's removing the expository narration was very courageous: it resulted in the film that demanded more of an audience, from the pot-infused hippies who only came for the light show to the general public who came generally open minded, and was more challenging to effectively promote. Ultimately the minimal dialogue and lack of narrative guidance enhanced its mystery and power.

sunspot42, enro99, Gardo and 2 others like this.
  6. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    The picture will begin once music has finished from live organist at
    Music Box Theatre.​

Mugrug12 and IronWaffle like this.
  7. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Cool pipes man man! - and only 800 seats according to their web site.

Meanwhile...at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood, at 11AM this morning, we had Christopher Nolan show up as a surprise to introduce the film and explain his desire to get the original print back on the screen. At the end everyone was given a copy of the original roadshow glossy program. Theater sold out in an hour when tix went on sale a few weeks ago. Print and experience was awesome. Forgot how great a sound system that place has. At the end, when credits rolled, a cheer went up when "In Cinerama" (not!) was displayed. Solid!

8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Wonderful!
    I’m really looking forward to going.

9. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The colors really "pop" from this print, a few quick scuffs or tears and couple scratches/speckles, but very minor watching the entire feature!

A wonderful experience seeing it projected on the 70mm screen!

chacha likes this.
  10. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

From in70mm.com: Warner Bros. Pictures Celebrates 50 Years of Stanley Kubrick's "2OO1: A Space Odyssey"

11. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

A masterpiece. Seeing it Thursday in NYC.

longdist01 likes this.
  12. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

I saw it Sunday morning at the Music Box in Chicago (no organist :mad:). I've been lucky enough to see this in the theater throughout my life, but I think it's been quite awhile since I watched it anywhere but at home. It seems to go by more quickly with each viewing. The attention to detail in every way is just so amazing. I think of all the things we take for granted from sci-fi space films. From the way that pilots guide the vehicles to landing to the general aesthetics of space ships. It really set the bar very high for films that came after it.

I enjoyed seeing a film print. I don't keep all the details in mind from one viewing to another, so I don't pick out all the differences. I can say that I clearly saw a reflection off the lucite wheel to which the 'floating pen' is attached when the camera first focuses in on it. I could tell that the opening sequences by the water hole were backed by photo realistic landscapes. Someone said earlier these were painted, but the guy I was with at the movie thought they were rear projected.

I usually bring a kind of awe to the watching of this film. It's nice to view it as an 'old film' as well as a not-too dated masterpiece. Some bits of awkward tech stand out like the various cameras. But, I'm more impressed by how much of the action and dialogue stands the test of time. I even think the interactions between Floyd and the Russians on the space station seem perfectly plausible to this day.

enro99, Vidiot and longdist01 like this.
  13. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Close. The landscape backgrounds were shot in Africa on large-format film (stills) and front projected onto a high-gain screen in the studio.

sunspot42 and The Revealer like this.
  14. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Anyone here familiar with the Emagine Willow Creek theater in Plymouth, MN?

Tying to decide if it's worth a 4 hour drive...

15. plynthe

plynthe Forum Resident

There's a couple real monkeys in there!

Vidiot likes this.
  16. plynthe

plynthe Forum Resident

And that's why the cheetah's eyes glow, right? Still, there's a couple moments where they're holding bones or whatever, and it shouldn't work but it does. Maybe something to watch for next time I see it.

17. plynthe

plynthe Forum Resident

I like that scene too, but it was distractingly flicker-y for me. Not sure if it was the print, the brightness of the scene, or the theater, etc, but it was one of the only moments that took me out of it.

I saw this version last night, and it was actually my third time seeing it in a theater.... since last September (the other two were the restored 70mm and a regular old DCP). Ha. Needless to say, it's one of my very favorite films. I'd say, overall, this was probably my favorite viewing of this movie ever. It was definitely not the faded, spotty mess some of the reviews are making it out to be. The blu-ray is great but it's there any time you want. Go see some film.

enro99, longdist01 and The Revealer like this.
  18. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Not only that, but in addition there are few people left actively in the business who know how to handle and project 70mm film. This problem might be less prevalent in LA or NYC, but I remember a friend going to a rather famous theater to watch "The Hateful Eight" and it turns out it was far from a perfect experience because the colors were off and all kinds of other problems.

19. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Yes, when the leopard's eyes catch the light coming off that bright front projector, they give off an eerie white glow. It was unintentional, however.

Kubrick didn't realize it was happening until he saw the "kill" sequence in the daily rushes, but he was ecstatic to find this unintended effect had added to the menacing look of the big cat coming in for the kill.

20. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Saw this today - always great to see 2001 on the big screen as intended but I can't say that this particular version was any better than the previous times I have seen it in 70mm.

It was very pleasing to see plenty of young people in the audience. Sometimes I think the audience for classic cinema is quite literally dying so it was nice to see evidence to the contrary.

longdist01 and Wes H like this.
  21. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

saw it a few days ago in SF very enjoyable. I saw it in 70MM 7-8 years ago hard to really compare but I did notice some scratches etc that kinda bothered me that I don't recall last time but maybe I was more excited then as it was my first tiem seeing it in a theater and this time I was a bit more critical especially given the new print hype.

still great experience highly recommended.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Went to see it last night at The Castro in SF. Saw 2001 three times in its reserved seat roadshow version as a 13 year old kid in 1968. Loved it and it had a profound effect on me.

Was pretty disappointed in the print I saw at Castro last night. Blacks were crushing and much detail was lost especially in the dawn of man sequence. Perhaps there was an issue with the projection but I would tend to doubt it. Took me quite awhile to accept that this was how it was going to be. Thought the second half of the movie looked better but I also had fully surrendered by that point. The print was really clean so absolutely no issues with that.
    I went with friends of mine including one who I saw it with 50 years ago which was treat. It’s such a magnificent creative achievement. Even though it doesn’t look like 68 everyone should go see it. What a remarkable movie.

23. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Everyone is commenting about the picture quality, but how is the sound?

I've never seen it in 70mm. I only saw it at a small local theater circa 1970. I'm looking forward to it at the AFI Theater in Silver Spring, MD in July.

24. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

It sounded nice at Music Box theatre viewing, portions of the orchestration/choral vocal pieces are quite deafening Loud and clear!

Now actually *it minimized tinnitus symptoms i used to experience (*this is not an endorsement!!)

dougotte likes this.
  25. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Is it going to be a faded copy too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.