2002 UPN Twilight Zone with Forest Whitaker*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by zappa, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zappa

zappa New Member Thread Starter

........i found it to be a sometimes good, sometimes bad, yet overall entertaining anthology series..............unfortunately, i think what hurt it was using the title "twilight zone"- that ensured that everyone would compare it to the original series........kinda unfair........i dig it though.......

:edthumbs:

2. 905

905 Senior Member

I liked it many of the episodes. Up until 2006 or 07 I would see it aired around here on the weekends.

3. bencasey

bencasey New Member

4. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

I never saw that version but the CBS version in the mid-'80s had some good episodes and I know that that version wasn't exactly well received either.

5. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Considering some of the talent involved it was hugely disappointing. James Crocker is one of my favourite TV writer/producers but even his contributions were sub-par.

And Forest Whitaker as on-screen host was a bizarre choice. Better an off-screen voice like the far superior 80s version used.

6. Yes.

Actually I found the 1980's version better than the 90's version.

It had its moments but they were few and far between.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOVED IT!...after the price dropped so low on the DVD box set it was an immediate purchase. I was thrilled to have the remake episode with Billy Mumy and his daughter playing the part he played in the original!...great stuff.:)

8. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I liked the one where Jason Alexander plays Death and he agrees to let no one die for a single day, with unexpected consequences.

Solitaire1 likes this.
  9. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Well, Rod Serling was on-screen for the original so there's nothing wrong with that technique. So what was so bizarre about using Whitaker?

10. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Just seemed a bad fit to me. I also preferred the originals where Serling was not in front of the camera.

11. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I was somewhat less than thrilled with the 2002 TWILIGHT ZONE. I recall a couple of episodes were in the "okay" category and the rest were somewhat blah, IMHO.

By comparison, the '80s ZONES were superior, with a few approaching the quality of the '60s series.

Forest Whitaker was again, an "okay" choice for host - not the best , but probably not the worst either. His presence was somewhat on the creepy side - and that's appropriate for a series of this nature - but something about his delivery wasn't quite right for the series.

The show still airs, every now and again, on the "MyNetworkTV" network - in full HD, in prime time. Nothing's scheduled for the moment, but they like to use it as filler in the summer.

Harry

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

What do you guys think of the 2002 Twilight Zone series?

The Twilight Zone (2002 TV series) - Wikipedia

Is it good? Are the episodes interesting? I know it probably can't compare to the original series but that's okay, I'm just wondering if it has enough merit on its own to make it worth buying on DVD.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  13. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Not worth it. Some of the episodes are ok. I liked the one of the sequel with Billy Mumy and his daughter. He played the Anthony Fremont character as an adult. Other than that most of it was pretty lame.

I got the boxed set by mistake. I wanted the 1980's Twilight Zone and some goof on eBay had this version listed as the 80's version. Went ahead and kept it anyway because I didn't even know it existed. Inferior to the original and the 80's version of the show.

14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The original is better, hands down for sure.

15. A few episodes are good, particularly for the notable guest actors. The series as a whole lags far behind the original or even the 1980s version. I would only recommend it for superfans.

The anthology series to get from the early 2000s is the Outer Limits. That ran circles around this reboot of the Twilight Zone.

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Agreed! The 90's/2000's Outer Limits is superb. :)

17. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I just love Catherine O'Hara's episode so much.

18. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I never watched this ' modern ' take of the classic ' Twilight Zone ' show when it originally aired.
    All I recall hearing about it was that Forest Whitaker was the host doing the Rod Serling intros to the episodes.
    Well....I picked up the six-disc first season box set at my local thrift shop for a few bucks and settled in to watch some of the episodes.
    Wow...was I underwhelmed.
    There are 43 episodes in the set and I struggled to watch the first six. And it was a struggle let me tell you.
    The ones I watched were plodding and dull. There was no sense of eerieness or any of that Twilight Zone thing.
    As for Forest Whitaker , I like him well enough as an actor but here he looks and acts like he just wants to deliver his lines and get the hell out. Can't say I blame him.

19. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

There is only one Twilight Zone.

'Nuff said.

MikeInFla likes this.
  20. Wildest cat from montana

Watching this one I wish that was true...

21. MKHopkins

MKHopkins Break out the Hats and Hooters

Edit: I must have missed this one originally.

The new Jordan Peele version is is one of those shows that I'd have given a chance if it was on OTA television, I'd set my DVR and watch sometime.

Buying a subscription? Hard pass.

22. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

Nothing beats the original Twilight Zone but the 80's version wasn't that bad for what it is...

The 00's reboot is surprisingly terrible. There may be some later episodes that are "better" (like "It's Still a Good Life" IIRC) but they're few and far between...

23. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

The contemporary Twilight Zone is the British show Black Mirror. Like the original TZ, it plays off of contemporary anxieties related to technology and other issues.

Solaris likes this.
  24. Wildest cat from montana

I've seen several of the ' Black Mirror ' episodes--- very hit and miss. But the ' USS Callister ' one was excellent. Creepy and funny.

MikeInFla likes this.
  25. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I've heard it has gone down in quality. The earlier shows I found pretty consistent. The one with Jon Hamm is excellent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.