2002 UPN Twilight Zone with Forest Whitaker*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by zappa, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Each succeeding iteration of THE TWILIGHT ZONE seems to drop a bit in quality. There's nothing like the original Rod Serling effort in the 60s. Even if one considers NIGHT GALLERY as an extension, that show had a few good ones but not nearly the number of great TWILIGHT ZONES.

In the 80s, the show was brought back as both another series and a movie. The movie was just OK - too many remakes, not enough originality, but it gets kudos for its presentation, I think. It looks and sounds good. The 80s series had some superlative episodes, but not enough of the great ones to elevate the series. It also suffered from the "let's keep it going so we can syndicate it" syndrome. That third season was generally not too good.

The Forest Whitaker update in the 90s was really the first time I found the show totally forgettable. I recall there was a sequel to the Billy Mumy story with his own daughter, and I couldn't even find the time to watch it. The stories up until then had been so bland that I'd lost interest.

I have CBS All Access and have been quite disappointed in the shows I've seen. I think there was one really good one - the last in the first season. Other than that, again the stories have just been too bland.

2. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I have the same set. I was also underwhelmed but managed to watch all of them with "It's Still A Good Life" being the only memorable episode. Skip all of them and go to that and you might find it enjoyable. When I ordered the set it was described as the 1980's reboot so I was a bit disappointed when it was a version I had never heard of. There were quite a few episodes from the 80's series that were excellent. I think the Forest Whitaker version also did Eye Of The Beholder which was lame, you just can't re-do that one.

As for the Jordan Peele series, I watched the few that were free episodes and those were lame and full of language which I couldn't watch with the kids around. Imagine not being able to watch TZ with kids because of language. Maybe some people don't care but I do.

3. And even that isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Oh ! There are many many original -' Twilight Zone ' episodes which are duds.

5. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

Good or bad, Rod Serling's Twilight Zone had a look and a style of its own that none of the revivals have succeeded in recreating. The Eighties version came closest, in a watery, already-more-dated-than-the-original way. The 2002 version was simply a dud, with weak stories and Forest Whittaker looking as if he'd just been pulled in off the street to host it. But the Jordan Peele version is easily the worst.

MikeInFla likes this.
  6. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

I recall likeing it, but gosh I havent seen these ones since it went off the air

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.