2013 MFSL Listings (2013 MusicDirect Catalog)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by evad, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

If we read the same hread here, I wouldn't call Steve's comments a recommendation, as so much as just a statement that this version is a flat transfer of the master tapes. If you want to hear what the master tapes sound like get this version.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

3. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

If that ain't a recommendation I don't know what is! The thread I'm remembering (perhaps even misremembering!) was one about "mastering" vs. a "flat transfer." In which, Steve posted the original JWH CD as an example of a flat transfer (again my memory is the only citation I have right now). Thanks for sharing this link. And FWIW, those Sony SACDs are very disappointing. I bought them when I noticed a huge price drop, but literally later that week I read that MoFi was releasing a chunk of the Dylan catalog on SACD. You can't win 'em all.

4. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

I have been enjoying MFSL's mono Miles Davis SACDs and was hoping they would continue to release more along that line- particulary some of the 2nd great quintet. Disappointed that they haven't listed any titles beyond what we were told about last year. "Miles Smiles" or "E.S.P." would've been interesting as mono releases.

art likes this.
  5. triple

triple Senior Member

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

7. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Not a good choice... Mofi released nearly everything from Billy Joel. Why a Greatest Hits on SACD?

9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Agreed. They are milking that discography.

10. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Seems like an odd choice doesn't it. But I guess we get to see something from Streetlife Serenade see the light of day.

11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

It's okay... when Mofi will release a lot of Pop (Gold/SACD) in 2013... Billy Joel, Chicago, Barry Manilow, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Los Lobos.

But where is the mix??? I mean... only Rock from Allman Bros, Doobies and Lynyrd Skynyrd. I think Audio Fidelity has a better release philosophy... a great mix of Pop, Rock and Metal.

12. Myke

Eye of the beholder...where you see "only," I'm excited as hell !!!! :shrug:

13. KeithH

We get it. You don't like MFSL, and in your eyes, Audio Fidelity can do no wrong.

I notice that you didn't acknowledge that MFSL also releases jazz titles, while Audio Fidelity does not.

2trackmind and DRJOEL65 like this.
  14. KeithH

I'm O.K. with the compilation. Sometimes, I just want to hear the hits.

riff2112 likes this.
  15. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

So is it confirmed that Santana III and the Judas Priest titles will be available on SACD? I really want them on SACD.

16. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Those titles are part of the Silver Series which has been nothing but vinyl so far. I would assume that will continue.

17. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

Ah man those original CBS vinyl records sound good, they're better served in the digital realm.

18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Probably are "One-Thing" Deal. I doubt Mofi will continue with Jazz after they have released the Miles Davis titles.

19. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

??

Miles, Coleman Hawkins, Art Pepper, McCoy Tyner, Michael Brecker, Milt Jackson....
    Not to mention what counts as jazz to some: Frank Sinatra, Patricia Barber, Priscilla Ahn...

20. BeeJayDeeJay

BeeJayDeeJay Disque Jockey

I'm up for all three Hall & Oats SACDs.

21. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

22. KeithH

Exactly. As much as I like Audio Fidelity, MFSL has provided a broader offering.

23. Myke

I really do appreciate you dropping this news on me last week. I honestly never expected this album to get the attention it deserves, which to me is crazy. Even Phil Walden himself has said on camera, how in 1969, they knew not a LOT of people were going to buy it, but there were ENOUGH of the "right people" that did "get it," that the sales numbers wouldn't be a disaster. From beginning to end, front to back, every track a strong Blues number, not a stinker in the bunch.

24. jjay

jjay Forum Resident

Why be negative about either MFSL or Audio Fidelity. I'll take a couple of the Dylan SACD, a couple of Mile Davis SACD. From Audio Fidelity I will take Yes - Close to the Edge, CSN boat cd when it comes out. Everyone has different tastes in music, buy what interests you. All is good. JMHO

riff2112 and rxcory like this.
  25. KeithH

That's my take.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.