2016 Paul McCartney compilation album - "Pure McCartney" *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KaptKopter, Mar 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

This is such a technicality, though. Some fans (I'm not saying you) need to lighten up.

2. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

Sorry.

My basic point was that the older collections were made almost obsolete.

The mistakes you're pointing out add even more weight to that argument.

But I am humbled and will accept my "D" grade.

mrjinks likes this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

"D" for Driving Rain... ;)

theMess likes this.
  4. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Just opened the set, full of beautiful pictures, there is a full page pic from the London Town album cover sessions with Paul's hair blown wild from the wind, Paul laughing. A very cool pic. Basic info on each song, who wrote it, what album it's from and the producer. No liner notes except for a short intro from Paul, which is a little bit of a bummer. Was hoping for a nice essay from someone. Not a deal breaker for me though.

theMess and Clanceman like this.
  5. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Yeah I noticed that in the Best Buy and Target Sunday ads they featured the 2 CD set. Luckily I ordered the 4 CD box from Amazon and Best Buy has the 2 CD set I will run and get.

6. Wingsfan2012

Yeah a nice Paul Gambiccini essay like he did for the "Rock Show" blu ray would have been nice!

theMess and ccbarr like this.
  7. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Well, gee, it's only been well over 40 years! Name a still-performing rock singer who sounds exactly the same as he did in 1971.

8. toptentwist

My thought when he made the" this is for the Wings fans..." announcement was I was overjoyed at the song he played. Frankly, Paul could have said almost anything (short of announcing my name and home address and an instruction to come to my home and trample my lawn) and I wouldn't have noticed or cared.

Didn't he play "Too Many People" after the shout out to "all the Wings" fans ???

I was like "wow !!!"

I'm struggling to remember if it was on the "Driving Rain" or the "Chaos and Creation" tour.

The only song at this point I'm amazed he hasn't done on stage (as far as I know) is "Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey"... especially since he's included it on three of the four compilations (I think it's missing only from "All The Best")... unless I have that fact wrong too - LOL

If I were Paul, I would have made a ritual of showing the Frog Song cartoon between a set 1, and set 2... but I don't think he's done set breaks since the days he played "The Mess" on stage...

theMess and supermd like this.
  9. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

I don't know Micky Dolenz and Al Jardine sound awesome on stage and on record. Micky Dolenz #14 on Billboard today.

Tord likes this.
  10. Well they do have 20 left and may be able to order more. But vinyl is never an unlimited supply to quote the Sex Pistols.....

11. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Yes Paul did say that...But Paul can't even remember recording Arrow Through Me..

Jayseph and theMess like this.
  12. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Sure, but re: Early Days it was definitely Paul who insisted on redoing the vocal. I think much of this album was initially recorded when Paul was still having his vocal problems of a few years back. It was the producer in this case who said 'no', the raw vocal suited the song.

But I do wish they'd kept it for perhaps the first verse only.

theMess likes this.
  13. toptentwist

To correct my totals...

The 1978 "Wings Greatest Hits" is now completely obsolete.

The 1987 "All The Best" collection is also obsolete - if you consider that Wingspan isn't .

The 2001 Wingspan collection has 10 songs (out of 40) that complement the new collection.

Of course edits, alternate takes, alternate mixes, etc would alter this analysis.

I am hopeful, but not expecting, that the new collection has that rare version of the song "Press" that I was never able to find.

I am in absolute shock that "We All Stand Together" is now easy to purchase and I no longer have to pull out my old 45, or my video DVD if I want to hear/watch it.

I bought several variations on the "Once Upon a Long Ago" single in 1987... I never hunted down the UK album for the alternate track list. At the time, the Rupert 45 seemed sufficient (to me).

14. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Just received my lp box, will give it a cleaning and spin it tomorrow morning.
    Can't wait !

15. toptentwist

I guess the Best Buy freebie was an option. I do own that... but thinking it might have a voice-over during the intro or outro to the track

https://www.discogs.com/Paul-McCartney-Oobu-Joobu-Widescreen-Radio-Ecology/release/1591026

And I also own this...

https://www.discogs.com/Paul-McCartney-Pipes-Of-Peace/release/1123204

But good luck finding a copy these days.

I needed that for the Ann Margaret / Gene Hackman movie track (Twice In a Lifetime)

I skipped most of the 1993 reissues because I had all of the old stray tracks on vinyl.
    I bought two (maybe three) because they had unique bonus tracks... but skipped the rest.

About two years ago I tried to go back and buy all of the 1993 reissues on CD and found the prices to be way too high for my taste.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    Skywheel likes this.
  16. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Oh yeah, I'm not complaining, just noting a choice that intentionally created a stark contrast.

17. Wingsfan2012

LOL, well leaving work and to get the 2 CD and 4 CD sets, will check back on Monday- enjoy all!

Mazzy likes this.
  18. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

The man does not know his own history.

19. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Remind me, which version is the rare version in the US? The version on Pure McCartney is the Bevans/Forward remix that appeared on the most common UK releases.

20. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Best Buy in my area does not carry this, and according to the store manager i spoke with no plans to now or later. Amazon it is - again.

21. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Shocking

Mazzy likes this.
  22. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

No-he leaves that to the McCartney- scholars.
    In all honesty I must admit there is a lot of things I did 30 or 40 years ago I don t remember today. Nothing stramge with that
    And I did not consume jazz-tobacoe the way our heroe did either.:)

Mr. Explorer and ConnieGuitar like this.
  23. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

Just listening to the first disc of the 4 discs set.
    There are two things I've noticed immediately.

The tracks from "Flaming Pie" sound much clearer and have much more dynamics.

Biggest surprise so far:
    "Big Barn Bed" really rocks in a way I couldn't have imagined before...fantastic!

JDeanB, theMess and cakeordeath like this.
  24. Yeah. I'm sure I'm not the only one who bought a record that I had forgotten I already owned. And I don't mean the multiple pressing thingy.

25. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I think the rare version is a Hugh Padgham mix that was issued on early U.K. singles or something. I've never heard it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.