2016's best albums - according to Mojo magazine

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Twenty teens looking an awful lot like the mid 90s. I love vintage Bowie, but Blackstar's meteoric popularity is a confluence of nostalgia and tragedy rather than artistic merit..."a brilliant return to form" is perhaps the most perplexing remark I've yet seen on this forum outside of any routine Beatles' thread. Now y'all are making me sound old./p,k

2. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Blackstar. No question in my mind.

3. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Oh no votes for the Mercury Prize winner? Oh what a shame...:evil:

4. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

PJ Harvey - The Hope Six Demolition Project

5. Lemon Twigs. Not best but top 25.

6. Skibum00

Skibum00 Forum Resident

I voted for Radiohead as it was my #2 album this year. My choice for best album would be Andrew Bird - Are You Serious

7. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I agree. Radiohead pips Bon Iver and Nick Cave. Dinosaur Jr was great - but not as good as their last 2, or Mascis's solo's - and they hardly charted.

Some I have never heard off - which is very unusual for me - Car headrest? huh? But the number of 65+ year old artists is just a shocker. Talk about a declining magazine. Saved me 1 minutes flicking through this in WH Smith though.

Anybody seen Uncut's - normally a little more post 1950s birthdates

8. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Really? Maybe track 1

9. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Out of what's on that list, I've heard half. Another quarter, I've never heard anything by those artists that I've liked so I didn't bother checking out. I only own one on the list, Radiohead, so that's what I voted for.

10. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I'm sticking with

Bowie -Blackstar
    Radiohead -A Moon Shaped Pool
    Ryley Walker -Golden Sings...

11. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

ABC's The Lexicon of Love II...... :love:

12. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

On that list, Lemonade. Actually that tops my personal list of albums of the year anyway.... a really focused, mature, inward looking, musically varied album of profound emotional depth that just dominated the musical year, and a troubled marriage album on par with the likes of Here My Dear and Blood on the Tracks. Great album I expect I'll be listening to for a long time.

My second favorite album of the year is Mary Halvorson's Away with You, which obviously is not on the list.

I'm not familiar with most of the rock albums on the list, don't much keep up with rock that closely anymore. The Solange album is good too, but I think in the end not as great as it's ambition. Great grooves, great concepts, great material, but she does doesn't have the voice or kind of presence and personality to really put the whole thing over.

13. zen

zen Senior Member

No good times here.

14. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

What is it with Mojo and Lambchop? I swear, I've tried on numerous occasions to listen to that band, but I find it hard to stay awake. It's some of the most inert music I've ever heard, but Mojo pimps them like they're the Beatles.

ScramMan2, DTK and Beamish13 like this.
  15. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

From that list, Car Seat Headrest is undoubtedly the most overrated

rob68 likes this.
  16. thegoldenyear

thegoldenyear Forum Resident

I have nine of the 25 in this list. And I concur with Mojo's pick.

17. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Glaring omission

18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I've only heard 2 of these,
    but voted anyway.

Blackstar

19. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle

Rough Trade has it on their list, but Mojo and Uncut did both give it a good 4/5 review. I think any of us that like much modern music could point out glaring omissions from our own viewpoint in any of these lists. The big Best New Album of 2016 thread is littered with picks that won't be on any of these year end lists, I'm pretty sure most of mine won't be :)

Albums of the Year – Rough Trade »

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  20. Catch22

Catch22 Forum Resident

Tedeschi Trucks Band ~ Let Me Get By
    The Monkees ~ Good Times!

Those two got the played the most whether it was at home, work or in the car

linclink likes this.
  21. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

I've stated this elsewhere, but I think 2016 was an extraordinary year for music with so much great output across the board.

No Angel Olsen here, so Lambchop's new one is the pick for me.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  22. Tensilversaxes

Tensilversaxes Well-Known Member

Love Car Seat Headrest. Amazing musician. Still I like Teens of Style more thank Teens of Denial so I voted for Lambchop FLOTUS.

23. MisterH

MisterH Forum Resident

Green Day - Revolution Radio. For me the best album of 2016 by far but then again I'm a huge Green Day fan.

24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Well I like Pixies' Head Carrier quite a lot. Got good grades in Mojo too, though it's not on the list..

25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's hard to escape the feeling that part of its reputation is down to Bowie's demise. Which of course is the case, that's how it works.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.