Audio-Technica launches new entry-level VM95 cartridge series

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by daytona600, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Based on the specs, the 540ML looks to be the successor of the 440. The 95ML appears to have slightly lesser channel separation and balance.

Umm, is it? The MicroLine profile is generally considered "better" than Shibata because it's a closer match to the cutting stylus and has a greater contact area with smaller minor radius. What do you mean by "it's better"?

2. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

It's a good question. There's also the shibata variant. I think the answer is in regards to how the new one sounds as compared to the old 95. Compliance and separation are different now, so who knows if the sound is similar.

Dellarigg likes this.
  3. Dellarigg

Dellarigg Forum Resident

Is it better on IGD, surface noise, and sibilance than a microline?

4. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

I was under the impression Shibata was the holy grail?

5. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

On quadraphonic records, yes. On the average pressing or even a good one, there's not that much difference. With either, it very well could be a matter of how well aligned it is.

McLover and Dellarigg like this.
  6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Nope. Shibata is more forgiving and some people may prefer it for other reasons or perceived sound.

But in terms of the cut itself, microline is more advanced and came after the Shibata design AFAIK. All of the major advanced styli are patented designs, if you want to see drawings of the different types like Fritz Gieger, Van Den Hul, Shibata, etc. you can look them up.

From interviews, Van Den Hul claims that the microline was actually based on one of his designs and that the Japanese should've paid him royalties. I don't know if that is true or not.

Heckto35, Robert C and Dellarigg like this.
  7. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Potentially better, for those who set it up optimally. I stick with a microline because on my modest table/arm I think a shibata may not show it's superiority.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  8. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

... Shibata isn't superior to Micro Line though.

9. Chris Schoen

Why are they more expensive?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  10. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

That was basically my original question. I think it's to do with the shibata patent.

Heckto35 and Chris Schoen like this.
  11. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Too bright for my taste.

Chris Schoen likes this.
  12. Chris Schoen

The price of "detail" perhaps. I can always roll off a little brightness with my Loki equalizer.
    But the worst for me is a dull cart. If a cart can't pick up detail, there is no way to "make it up".
    Rather have a cart that is a little "bright"...

13. Dellarigg

Dellarigg Forum Resident

I would like a cart that retrieves every detail, but with no surface noise, no sibilance, no IGD, for no more than £120. I want it here and I want it now.

(I have had a sorely disappointing experience with a Nagaoka MP-110, so don't recommend that, thanks. So disappointing I'm wondering if it's faulty. I'm keeping it, as I might put the MP-300 stylus on it one of these fine days, see if that makes some sonic amends.)

LitHum05 and csgreene like this.
  14. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

The MP-110 is the best budget cart I've heard, and I've had a few, how it achieves almost no IGD is amazing with that "big" stylus. It's not the last word in detail but it's certainly not dull.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  15. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Would I be right in saying the Rega Exact is a microline? I'm thinking of putting that on my 1210GR even though it will be "tail up".

16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Not a microline.

According to Rega it's as follows: Vital. Complex fine line micro-ground from a rectangular diamond billet.

Vital Polyhedron is a shape that Goldring also uses in some of their carts. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what the exact has. IIRC, another name for the Vital PH shape is the Ogura. This is a very different shape than the ML/MR types and lacks the extended peak cut those have.

US4105212A - Reproducing stylus for phonograph records - Google Patents

Heckto35 likes this.
  17. Dellarigg

Dellarigg Forum Resident

I found it performed really poorly as regards surface noise - which was the main reason I got it, and the main thing everyone praises it for. Overall, it was worse than the 440 for crackles, while offering none of the detail of the 440. I don't think it's an alignment problem, since I had the shop do it. But I'll hang on to it, try a different stylus.

18. FulhamTarheel

FulhamTarheel Forum Resident

So, anyone listened to the one with the Shibata yet? Reviews are slow going right now.

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Shibata styli excel at one thing, CD4 Quadraphonic LP playback. Which is what they were designed for.

marcfeld69 and patient_ot like this.
  20. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Only the basic 95e/c are made in China. Rest are made in Japan.

Big Blue and patient_ot like this.
  21. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

ive been using a AT95e that came stock with an Audio Technica LP-120 turntable. its been pretty good, what the best bang for buck in regards to going up the foodchain in this series... im thinking the ML version...?

patient_ot likes this.
  22. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I had the AT95E on the recently sold Marantz 6100 for a couple years. I was pretty pleased with just how good it sounded. I recall mine was MiJ.

23. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

You can get a Shibata or Vivid Line for your cart that you have. They are improvements, but not cheap.

theron d likes this.
  24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Are these carts for sale in the USA? :)

25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You can buy direct from AT or some 3rd party sellers on Amazon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.