2018 Nominees for Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Bon Jovi was inducted first, because Howard asked the Hall to place them first, from what I understand.

I don't think all the energy was gone by the time the Moodies played. The crowd who was there was into it, including the people who unfurled the "Finally" banner. But, there was definitely a fair amount of the crowd that had left because 1) I think a lot of people were there explicitly for Bon Jovi and they had already been inducted and 2) what can be expected after 4 hours?

Nina Simone's brother definitely ground things to a halt, especially at that point in the show and people were tired. I suspect the Moodies could sense that and kept their speeches relatively short.

Having been fortunate enough to attend all the induction ceremonies that have taken place in Cleveland, they're always too long. I blame that on the Rock Hall not managing the flow correctly. C'est La Vie. It was still a good show.

longdist01 likes this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

she doesn't like flying apparently.... soooo

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Cool, thanks.

That’s fantastic. I only attended last year’s ceremony. It ran nearly five hours, but I can’t say I ever felt bored. I guess that’s because it was primarily acts I loved, and the only act I was unfamiliar with (Tupac) received an interesting and entertaining induction by Snoop and an upbeat tribute by Alicia Keys.

4. sami

sami Mono still rules

I'm not remotely disagreeing about her worthiness for induction into a "rock and roll" hall, if this actually was one. Not at all.

I just don't believe her sexual orientation should have the slightest damned thing to do with it, and making it about that actually diminishes the actual reason she should be included in any HOF that claims to be about rock and roll. What would be ridiculous as well as insulting to her talent would be to induct her almost as a token because, as you claim (I have no idea nor do I care), there are few gay black women in the hall. Put her in for her talent and originality, not as a trophy for political reasons.

Is there nowhere that politics can be left the hell out of any more? That, of course, is rhetorical.

Zeki likes this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Why do I care?

Because I work with kids and teens who play music.

Some of these kids are Black.
    Some of these kids are female.
    Some of these kids are gay.

And every aspiring musician deserves to have someone they can look up to, and yeah - they deserve to have someone to look up to who is like themselves.

Yes, I believe Sister Rosetta was unjustly ignored in most Rock history. I'm 57, and have been an avid reader of Rock magazines and books since I was a pre-teen, and I didn't learn about her until my wife started hosting a radio show devoted to female singers and musicians and we discovered her while crate digging. And it wasn't until YouTube that we learned that she came up with half the moves that the Rock guitarists of the Seventies later used.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  6. sami

sami Mono still rules

I think we're having separate conversations. You keep selling her qualifications, and I've already clearly stated how big a fan I've been for many years of her music and performances, and amazingly enough before I ever knew if she was gay or straight. Imagine that!

I just don't care if she's black, white, green, straight, gay, or whatever. She's a rock 'n' roll pioneer who should absolutely be recognized and looked up to for that, not as some token of this or that racial or sexual orientation group. Isn't there enough division and polarization in this country already, and isn't music a place to bring people together rather than divide them?

As a kid who is an aspiring musician, is it really necessary to be of the same sexual orientation or skin color to be inspired and influenced by a great artist? If so, I'm very sorry to hear that.

Listen, we disagree. Music is about music to me - it's an escape from politics and world issues, and I couldn't care less about an artist's race or sexual orientation. To you it's just another place where social grievances and polarization exist and need to be addressed. C'est la vie.

Zeki and Actuarybrad like this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

In a perfect world a musician's race, gender and sexual orientation would not matter. But I have literally thousands of videos on YouTube, and see dozens of comments every day, and I can't count the number of times I have seen extraordinary skill praised as "good for a girl." I had people who subscribed to my channel unsubscribe and go to the trouble of telling me that they were unsubscribing when the Oak Park School of Rock did a "Pride" show celebrating music by LGBTQ artists.

These things matter.

8. sami

sami Mono still rules

Not to me or anybody I listen to or talk about music with, I'm very happy to say.

My questions: why not just celebrate music, period? Why create divisions and political issues when it isn't necessary? Why marginalize talented artists by tying them to something having nothing to do with their musical talent?

Again, these are rhetorical, since you obviously see music as just another place to continue the endless polarization of every facet of life. I'd sell to these kids to be the best they can be, skin color and sexual orientation be damned. They might actually find the world to be a far more accepting place that way.

Anyway, have a nice night.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I didn't say the Moodies were obscure - I said a number of their charting hits are now obscure.

You're obviously a big fan - most people aren't going to recognize those songs, though...

WilliamWes likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

They should be in the Light 'n' Breezy HOF?

11. Chris DeVoe

For most of Rosetta's life, two of the things she was - Black and non-straight - could have gotten her killed if she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Those divisions were omnipresent throughout her life. She performed in mixed-race groups, which was illegal in many of the states during most of her life.

The polarization exists whether it's pointed out or not.

Take a moment and try to realize who wrote and originally performed 90% of the music these kids perform. What is the harm in letting them know that marginalized groups also wrote and performed rock music?

These kids are more accepting than anyone I know. If you get a chance, click on the link I posted to the "Pride" show, and see their joy in accepting both the things that make us different and those that we share.

You as well.

12. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

music evolved all over the world not just by one group or race of people

so ALL races should be seen as influential and contributing to music

13. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.