2018 Nominees for Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I look at the list

First thing that comes to mind

Really?

Can it get any weaker?

I think not

The only nominee on the list that I would cast a single vote for

The Cars

Fullbug and psychtrailmix like this.
  2. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident

They all have something to do with RnR!

3. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident

Fingers crossed for Kate Bush ❤️

4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I'm glad that you brought up Herb Alpert, who during a week or two in the '60's when his albums were in the TOP 10 charts more than The Beatles, which was not only a great accomplishment, but let's face it, who's family didn't have at least one Herb Alpert & The TJB album in their household growing up? The man and his music are legendary, let alone Herb being the "A", in one of the greatest independent record labels ever, "A&M Records"!

keyXVII likes this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Glad to see some actual rock and roll in the form of Motorhead and Priest included on the list. They won't make it, of course. They're too busy making room for LL Cool J. He's the Grammy host, he gets a free pass.

After Motorhead how about some Iron Maiden? Still going strong and yet no love from the hall.

Does Don Van Vliet need to rise from the dead before Jan will give him the time of day?

It would be nice for The Zombies to finally get in.

I like Radiohead but maybe it's too early for them to be embalmed.

Is Beck in? Why Radiohead but not Beck?

Overall, it's a decent list. There are some deserving artists here. But you know the wrong ones are the ones who'll get chosen.

6. Which list are you seeing that has Motorhead on it? If they were nominated, they'd get my vote for sure. Even if just to see if Lemmy would show up for the ceremony. Sure, he's dead, but that hasn't stopped Keith Richards from touring.

dlokazip likes this.
  7. sean monaghan

sean monaghan Forum Resident

My choices:
    The Cars
    The Cars
    The Cars
    The Cars
    Oh and incase I forgot to mention them THE CARS.
    Though I suppose Dire Straits, Judas Priest, Kate Bush and The Moody Blues all deserve a place in there to.

Oh and see the list is missing Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Blue Oyster Cult, Boston, Foreigner, ELP and King Crimson but what would I know if the R&RHOF committee view Bon Jovi as being more worthy.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    MonkeysCantSwing, SKean and ampmods like this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

OK, assuming that Kate wins, what would happen? First off, she's not going to bother to come and and perform. Remember, this is someone who blew off the 2012 London Olympics! They had a whole huge production number for Running Up That Hill, and she couldn't be bothered to show up and sing it.

So, given that she's not going to perform, who is going to sing her songs at the show? If Eurythmics gets in, I suppose Annie could do it. I'd pay good money to hear her take on Sat In Your Lap.

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Holy ****, you're right. I must have been hallucinating. I should have known it was too good to be true.

Madness likes this.
  10. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Top 10 artists I'd love to see and have NEVER EVER BEEN NOMINATED (no particular order)

- Def Leppard
    - Bryan Adams
    - Emerson, Lake & Palmer
    - King Crimson
    - Iron Maiden
    - Scorpions
    - Jethro Tull
    - The Guess Who
    - Motorhead
    - Motley Crue

And a lot more!

11. Chris DeVoe

Todd Rundgren not nominated yet again. But he's also gone out of his way to dis the HoF, most notably in his 2017 Berklee Commencement speech, quoting LBJ "If nominated I will not run, if elected I will not serve":

12. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

NOW you're talking!!! Why hasn't this band been nominated yet?

Matthew Tate and keyXVII like this.
  13. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Yes!! The Guess Who definitely

ponkine likes this.
  14. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Not that I give a crap about the RRHOF, but why The Zombies are still waiting their turn is a mystery to me.

keyXVII, psychtrailmix and wino14 like this.
  15. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

<eye roll>

oh brother.

if you're going to try and quote me, at least do it properly so it actually says what I said.

"Radiohead is probably a shoe-in because nerd critics love them." thats what I said.

that does NOT say they ONLY appeal to nerd critics.

I dont know if you're trolling on purpose or simply obtuse.

either way, go sod yourself.

wino14 likes this.
  16. sddoug

sddoug Music Aficionado

Putting CSNY in seems kind of redundant. CSN is in. And Neil Young is in twice for Buffalo Springfield and solo. Same argument for the rest of them. Crosby is in twice for the Byrds and CSN. Nash is in twice for the Hollies and CSN. Stills is in twice for Buffalo Springfield and CSN. As the rest of your list shows, lots of other deserving artists.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

18. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

another year with no todd rundgren. good to see the moodys finally get a chance though. heres my 5 I guess.

Kate Bush
    MC5
    Moody Blues
    Link Wray
    The Zombies

19. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I mean I just am surprised people take it that seriously to begin with lol, to me the Hall of Fame is just a money grabbing institution with at least the mildly positive after-effect of getting some cool performances in the ceremonies every now and then

20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Bette Midler. Don't laugh too hard. She and Jaan have been buds for a long time.

21. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is all about who Jann Wenner/Rolling Stone wants in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. If you've ever been there, you realize that pretty quickly, not that you can't notice by these nominations. It's an American corporate sham.which is why you have someone like Bon Jovi nominated so over many far more deserving artists.

There is a tremendous bias against British acts which is why you have no Moody Blues, Smiths, T Rex, Zombies, the Cure, Dire Straits, Joy Division. Great for critical darlings Radiohead, but that just obscures the bands that preceded them that continue to be overlooked. The Hall had to be shamed for years to put Deep Purple in. The guess here is that this year they can't keep the Moody Blues out any longer. But believe it, Jann Wenner doesn't want them in.

Of course, if you're from Canada, like the Guess Who and Gordon Lightfoot, you might as well form your own Hall of Fame. They've already got the Band and Neil Young and that's enough. You're not getting in this one.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  22. patel kismet

patel kismet Forum Resident

There's too much confusion around the term "R'nR". We should have called it POF for Pop Hall Of Fame. ;)

Kevin55 likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

Malina likes this.
  24. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

Nice list. I'm coming to your Hall of Fame.

Henryflowr and LandHorses like this.
  25. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The chairman of the nominating committee is Jon Landau. Jann Wenner is not even on it. Let's make this the year where everybody bitches about Little Steven or Dave Grohl instead.

Tristero likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.