2018 RSD Black Friday pressing quality reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Nov 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrianD

BrianD Forum Resident

Maybe using the wrong description but few screeches on side 3, 1st track with one long more pronounced screech....soon as my local store heard it on his setup, no questions asked - provided me a refund. Sucks since I loved the album and also that the store has been told they can't return opened RSD titles to distributors for credit.

2. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

Try Man-Child, Crossings and Sextant.

3. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

The Doors American Prayer is quite nice. Red vinyl with Chris Bellman initials in the deadwax. I've played it twice now. No pressing issues, totally quite and flat. Sounds good too. Numbered on the back of the jacket. Nice overall package I don't regret buying.

Soundslave and monomusic like this.
  4. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

I picked that one up, myself. Ghost Song, man, that sounds great.

5. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Mine was # 1317

6. T-Mac

T-Mac Forum Resident

I got the Dennis Dunaway on the flip side, great pressing and packaging

7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

As I mentioned it is up to the store/retailer to determine if they will accept vinyl returns. The store I shop at takes returns on defective vinyl, RSD included, and he eats the loss regardless.

8. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I missed out on the Rarities Vol. 1 and 2 I would love to have them !

9. searing75

searing75 Forum Resident

The pressing of The Grateful Dead’s 1974, 46 minute take on Playing In The Band is beautiful.

funknik, giantleech and JNTEX like this.
  10. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

Shocker here, the DK 78 stuff has a wonky Eq.and there is also something that sounds like a lot of tape drag in one song. Vinyl is decent enough.

Just in case that was not expected by someone and they thought the sonics would rival anything classic has ever pressed.

11. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

How many screaming solos?

12. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Had a shot at #300 something and left it. Possibly one of the worst decisions I’ve made recently.

13. Or they resell to somebody who might not notice.

I returned a new Leonard Cohen album to a local store a couple years ago. Them hemmed and hawed but gave me a new one. A few days later I saw it in the used section for sale.

14. BWichmann74

BWichmann74 Forum Resident

This isn’t the Grateful Dead though - Garcia, John Kahn, David Nelson, Sandy Rothman. A totally different take on the songs that duplicate on Reckoning and many that don’t exist on that album. I understand your response but this isn’t the Grateful Dead and has a totally different sound.

Thanks for the review on this pressing - I owned the CD back in the day but didn’t treat it with respect so it’s long gone which is a bummer since I dig it. Been waiting for a vinyl release in the US and interested in this.

All this being said, I would take my Analogue Productions Reckoning over any version of JGB Acoustic ten out of ten times.

......but I get the chance for both!!

funknik likes this.
  15. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Ahhh.....I got one of those on side 1 as well as side 3. Neither probably as long as your's.

Shrill is a tonal quality. I didn't hear that. But a bad pressing with a good mastering is particularly frustrating.

16. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

I’m asking WHAT it is exactly

17. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Does the Herbie come with the Japanese booklet from the original release?

18. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

So far played the Cheap trick - The Epic archive Vol. 2 ~ a few clicks while playing , overall very happy with this , as with stuff like this from so many different sources /Periods sound quality varies , but most of it sounds really good & if you like Vol. 1 you'll like this

Ella fitzgerald - Ella at the shrine ~ this is so good , it's short but the performance is so great & for the time the sound is really good , happy to have this one & seems to be plenty floating around :righton:

Rocketdog and pigman like this.
  19. Jimijam

Jimijam Forum Resident

No.. bare bones

20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

No. What did it contain (in English)?

21. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Very happy with the pressing quality on Difford & Tilbrook, Tangerine Dream and Feelin Right Saturday Night.

22. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

I know it’s not the Grateful Dead, but it’s Garcia singing the Garcia songs from Reckoning; at least some of them. Like you, I prefer the Reckoning takes on the songs, even after so many years. I’m sure I’ll be spinning this again and maybe I’ll be more relaxed and able to settle into it. My wife said she liked the music.

23. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I thought and passed as well. I dig the Doors, but did not know if the content would be my thing.

24. My copy of Phish' Slip, Stitch and Pass is excellent. Nice splatter vinyl. Chris Bellman cut. Up to Phish quality.

monomusic likes this.
  25. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

I posted this in the other RSD thread, a couple people have talked about it over there. It has JJ Golden in the deadwax and he is listed as cutting the record in the gatefold jacket notes. It is centered, my copy has the tiniest bit of warp to it but is inaudible to me, again, very tiny. The band is incredible and the sound is great. It's not mind blowing from a sound stage point of view but the playing is phenomenal obviously and the "telecaster blonde" vinyl is cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.