2019 Beatles UK Singles boxed set (Was: "Beatles Mystery Boxed Set")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monasmee, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

The article with that headline also says “remastered from the original tapes” in the text. Jury‘s still out.

DRM likes this.
  2. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

The original poster who I responded to called Fremer’s announcement “official”. But the guy doesn’t work for Apple. To my knowledge.

3. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Exactly. A digital remastering has yet to be clearly ruled out

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What about it?

5. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I guess, though those two things are not mutually exclusive. It can be both remastered and cut form the original tapes. The important thing is the cutting...one can't cut from the original analog tape and add a digital mastering step. The most that can be done would be to have a digital preview, which I suppose makes it not truly AAA.

6. Fremer is one of the main reasons we all got the all analogue mono vinyl box. Not the only one but he pushed hard and was at Abbey Road so he does have his connections. I doubt he’d post anything ambiguous when it comes to analogue cut records.

drum_cas, Jack and vinylbeat like this.
  7. As have I, so, I guess that you don't have a leg to stand on.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What?

The discussion was about what say The Beatles had in matters, what were artistic decisions vs supply and demand, etc:

To which you responded:

Which was both incorrect (Apple most certainly does have say over what gets released) and entirely irrelevant (Sony/ATV owning the publishing rights to the songs has nothing to do with what gets released).

[​IMG]

9. slane

slane Forum Resident

Copyrights of songs and copyrights of sound recordings are two entirely different things.

nikh33, jmxw, zobalob and 1 other person like this.
  10. When Capitol initially released their versions of Beatles recordings, the Beatles were not very happy about it and publicly expressed their opinions. Those Capitol releases were not done with the Beatles' approval.
    Apple was a dormant company for many years and wasn't involved when EMI and Capitol was first re-issuing the 45's, LP's and issuing the first CD's. Again, read the labels.
    The Beatles can create a bump in the road, as they did when the CD releases were delayed due to royalty disputes. Remember when the "Abbey Road" album was issued on CD in Japan back in the early-80's?
    They were given a cease and desist order because all parties associated with the album put the brakes on.
    Then, looking at my copy of the EMI/Odeon CD from Japan, nowhere does it mention Apple or publishing rights. Does yours?
    Looking at my copy of the first authorized CD of "Abbey Road", copyrighted 1987, nowhere does it show Apple, although the original vinyl release did. It's even on the Parlophone label, not Apple.
    Publishing rights have everything to do with what is released. Without Sony/ATV's authorization, the Beatles' songs cannot be reproduced. Ownership of the recordings belonged to EMI and now Universal, through it's wholly-owned Calderstone Productions. Again, read the labels.
    I know people who have been trying to release Beatles recordings on a non-competing format and they have been blocked by Sony/ATV although the Beatles and/or estates are OK with it.

11. Sure they are. The songs are copyrighted by Sony/ATV and the recordings are copyrighted by Calderstone Productions,Limited(a wholly-owned division of Universal). If either rejects a reproduction of one of their properties, it's a no-go.

12. culabula

culabula Unread author.

They say this time and time again. Almost certainly means digital.

In the case of The Beatles, we were specifically advised for the Beatles in Mono set and the recent reissue of 1962-1966 and 1967-1970 in press releases and again on the hype stickers that these releases were AAA.

Why would they change now ?

13. So, vinyl “cut” from “original” “tapes” means digital? I do not follow your logic, unless you mean that the original tapes were digital. They weren’t, of course.

snorker likes this.
  14. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Well, they've never used the term "AAA" (that I've noticed) but the recent Red and Blue reissues have a hype sticker that reads "All Analogue Master from Original Master Tapes." The hype stickers on the 2014 mono reissues also indicate they are "cut from the original master tapes." Just as they are claiming now for this set on their website.

Nevertheless, I'm curious where you've previously seen a claim that something was "cut" from master tapes (as opposed to "remastered" or "sourced" from master tapes) and it was in fact converted to digital first and cut from a file. I don't recall having seen that before. "Cut" from a tape can only mean one thing, so if this thing isn't AAA somebody is really just lying in the ad copy.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The post in question was regarding new reissues, not what Capitol did in the '60s.

Nope. And it didn't need to, nor is it relevant to this discussion.

Besides the fact that, again, none of this has to do with the original topic, what is Sony/ATV blocking that The Beatles are OK with? What they *have* been blocking are releases where the phonographic copyright has fallen into the public domain, but the publishing has not.

Which has nothing to do with:

Easy-E and slane like this.
  16. DJTimE

DJTimE Active Member

17. beatlesblogger

beatlesblogger Forum Resident

I think if you go back to the original post the use of the word "official" meant that Fremer was simply quoting the official Apple/UMe press release (like lots of people here have been doing too), not making some sort of announcement on their behalf which - as you rightly point out - he doesn't have right to do.

The full press release is here by the way: The Beatles Announce New Limited Edition Collection Of Newly Remastered Seven-Inch Vinyl Singles

Another Side likes this.
  18. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

So... you think Sony/ATV and/or Calderstone would block a project which has been approved by Apple Corps [and bound to sell lots and lots of copies to various consumers/collectors]??? :wtf:

Doesn't make any sense, dude. If anything, it would be the other way 'round... [think Rock And Roll Music, Love Songs, Movie Medley, etc...]

lukpac likes this.
  19. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I’m far from home now, so it will be a while before I can give an example.

snorker likes this.
  20. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

While watching the Apple video I was shocked the booklet has 4 pictures of US sleeves. Are they kidding using those US sleeves in the book and not issuing the actual singles. This is wrong like a slap in the face to all US Beatles fans. Again this is a shock for me.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Definitely a crisis. US fans better not buy it.

22. darling

darling Senior Member

Automatic mechanical licences are no longer a thing?

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

24. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Way too much wrong information being bandied around as fact in this thread. I don't even know where to begin.

25. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Perhaps in the book there are many pictures of alternative sleeves from all over the world. Why's so shocking that 4 (or more) are from the US?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.