2019 Beatles UK Singles boxed set (Was: "Beatles Mystery Boxed Set")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monasmee, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I know She Loves You was changed for the EP set. Perhaps it was for the 1992 singles set as well.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That is the one I know was changed.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  3. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, as far as I know. She Loves You borrowed the EP box master and I'll Get You was a new remaster.

I'm not sure if that's the case. I think at least some might be slightly different, although similar.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Billy Budapest, lukpac and Dinstun like this.
  4. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

I remember very clearly that the mono CD box was declared as being limited at first... and that this fact upset many people at the time, because it soon became clear that it wasn't. In a similar way it became clear after some months that the "mini documentaries" on the stereo CD's were not limited either... ;-)

5. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Looking at the Please Please Me / Ask Me Why single at least, it appears the picture disc was remastered in 1983 for it's 20th anniversary picture disc. The black vinyl released at the same time with matrix -3 was not remastered. I wonder if this practice of remastering for each 20th anniv. picture disc, but not for the black vinyl was followed for all 22 singles.

Ken Wood likes this.
  6. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

This exchange about the 2014 Mono Masters:
    So Magee was at least made aware from this question that the PPM single might be different than the mono album. The questioner got it wrong though, asking about PPM rather than Ask Me Why.

slane and lukpac like this.
  7. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

(Sigh) It was all so much easier back in the Sixties. :)

jlf, Dean R and SunSon like this.
  8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As far as I know, at *first*, there was no mention of it being limited. It's when it started showing up for preorder much closer to the release date that such claims began flying, but it's not clear where Amazon et al. got their information.

9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The black vinyl release was a recut. Perhaps not done in 1983. The 45 in my World Records box has a different matrix number, I think. I’ll have to check.

10. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Ok, APPLE LISTEN UP!! I know things. Get a little busy around here but I’m gonna tell you exactly what you need to do to make this a essential purchase!

1) include the less echo’d version of Ask Me Why

2) master she loves you PROPERLY. Like you did on the 92’ Box: do a new transfer using only the left channel in mono

3) use the mono single masters up to ballad of John and Yoko. Then use the stereo single masters

4) Master these as flat and true to tape as possible

5) whatever plant you’re using for the SDEs. STAY THERE. I haven’t gotten a single problem pressing from there

Best wishes (and please don’t screw this up)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    mikrt17, jamesmaya and drum_cas like this.
  11. Pianoman99

Could be. It's quite long ago - even if it sometimes doesn't feel like that :)

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

A bit late for that.

jmxw, jlf and AnalogJ like this.
  13. Exotiki

It’s worth a shot

14. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I can squealing of the brakes and the beeping of the truck backing up now.

15. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

6) Wouldn’t complain if they make one little “screw up” and give us the stereo mix of “Yes It Is”.

AnalogJ likes this.
  16. Pianoman99

You want them without the correct azimuth?

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Correct azimuth = true to tape.

numer9 and Exotiki like this.
  18. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Double or triple album for 200 dollars. Plus international sleeves!

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  19. Exotiki

No, I meant with as little EQ and compression as possible. Closest sound to the tapes. But of course a great transfer if also mandatory

Billy Budapest likes this.
  20. Pianoman99

Ok. I'd rather prefer them to sound like the original pressings.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

The harmony arrangement on that is spectacular. It's what makes getting the stereo mix of something like The Beach Boys' "In My Room" so worthwhile (the AP of the album it's on is terrific!).

jamesmaya likes this.
  22. Ivan Analogue

Ivan Analogue Well-Known Member

I admit that initially this was a no go for me, however after the latest revelation from Sean Magee, this changes everything. It is not only truly AAA, but also one step above what was made for the MONO PAST MASTERS. This is what Mr.Magee confirmed to Michael Fremer:

Whereas Mono masters LP was a master created for the LP as one didn’t exist , the singles were cut from the masters as there was no need to unpick then to create a 'master." (IN OTHER WORDS, THE PAST MASTERS LP WAS CUT FROM TAPE COPIES [necessary to produce a running master from which to cut lacquers] BUT THESE SINGLES WERE CUT DIRECTLY FROM THE MASTER TAPES).

This alone is a game changer to me

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

From a technical perspective, it’s great news, but from an aural perspective it’s unlikely anyone could tell the difference. The bigger difference is 7”/45 vs 12”/33.

24. Exotiki

But what about 12”/45

:yikes:

soundQman and jmxw like this.
  25. Exotiki

I think I’m gonna take a Beatles break.

I’ve been all Beatles all the time for the past year or so and frankly it’s getting a bit tiresome.

There is SO much great material by bands like the beach boys, the Rolling Stones, pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Who.. etc etc etc. That I haven’t touched due to this almost tunnel vision like state.

I hope that the following days, weeks, or possible months both expand my musical appreciation and palette while also refreshing my love for the Beatles.

I know my BC-13/2014 Mono boxes will be waiting to greet me with open arms when I come out the other side

Mickey2, kevintee and saborlord123 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.