2019 Beatles UK Singles boxed set (Was: "Beatles Mystery Boxed Set")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monasmee, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jordevi

jordevi Forum Resident

It should be possible to download the 2100x2100 png file from the link I've posted.

2. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

I guess i could do that, i just thought that it would avoid the imgur double compression on the text

3. jordevi

jordevi Forum Resident

It doesn't appear to have any compression at all. The file is exactly the same size as the raw file.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  4. If I open the link in my web browser (mobile Safari) and then save the displayed image, it is compressed. If I open the link in the imgur mobile app, then I am able to save the file at its original resolution. If I blow up the image as large as I can, I can see aliasing at the edges of each letter. However, that is probably a function of how the font is displayed (i.e., text smoothing).

5. Exotiki

I’ll just use some selection *magic*

V2.0 is almost here!

6. Exotiki

Version 2.0 everyone!

(Improved color/contrast, new enhanced text by @jordevi (Thanks again!) , More enhanced odeon text, recreated bars, other fine-tuning things...)

Beatles Singles Collection 2019 Sleeve:

[​IMG]

Brodnation Day Tripper Sleeve 2.0v:

[​IMG]

Everyone make sure to say a big thank you to @jordevi, His contribution was fantastic and just what this piece needed! :righton:

Robur, Johnta7, Yayastone and 7 others like this.
  7. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

8. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

:p
    So when do these go to print?

Yayastone, Billy Budapest and Exotiki like this.
  9. Exotiki

Whenever you want. They are made at 7” 300dpi to print at the perfect size for singles. Just download and print any time you wish!

10. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

11. Exotiki

Your very welcome :righton:

Yayastone and Billy Budapest like this.
  12. I spotted what looks like a bend or rip in the scanned photo that you might want to touch up. It looks sort of like a scratch through the film emulsion. You can see it as an irregular white line starting at the bottom edge and cutting through about the middle of George’s left boot, then disappearing for a little while, and finally re-emerging on George’s left pant leg running at about a 15 degree angle to the edge of the pants, at which point it exits into the grass portion of the picture and becomes invisible.

Exotiki likes this.
  13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes and some of it proves what a bunch of us were saying after Fremer’s review:

1) He overreacted and the new pressings are not as horrible as he made them out to be.

2) Fremer didn’t spend enough comparing the new pressings to older U.K. pressings

3) The intent of the producers of the box was to replicate the sound of the original 45s.

Kudos to @lukpac who absolutely nailed Love Me Do, in spite of attempts by other members to discredit him over his equipment profile.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    389 Tripower, Gila, zobalob and 12 others like this.
  14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Fremer reacted to the singles box in a manner similar to the way most SHF members do to any Giles Martin remix project. However, Fremer has been supportive of Martin’s work in the past, while on the other hand, he was not only quick to dismiss the work of Sean Magee on this box, but questioned Sean’s truthfulness. As we all know Magee is largely responsible for the “crown jewel” of Apple’s reissue campaign - the mono vinyl box set. Magee seems like a good guy. I remember when he was answering questions over here in 2012 regarding the stereo vinyl box. At least go back to the guy for more facts before posting a scathing review.

I wonder if Fremer burned that bridge.

15. Exotiki

Although I can’t really see it, I will remove that and also completely redo the ODEON text for a V3.0, good catch!

16. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I decided to go retro in my initial playing of the box set which I received yesterday from UDiscover.

System used:

Lafayette PK-245 early 60's idler drive turntable OEM by Teac.
    Empire 980 tonearm/Shure M3D cartridge with conical N21D stylus.

Eico HF-81 tube integrated amp which uses similar tubes as in a Vox AC-30 guitar amp as used by The Beatles.

Klipsch Heresey speakers from the 70's. The only non-60's component in the chain, but still a good choice using the Eico amp.

This system would have been considered a pretty decent setup back in the 60's when these singles were originally released. Plus I liked the idea of being "period correct" for my initial listening.

Overall I think these new 2019 singles are a very good recreation of the original 60's singles as was the original intent. They sound a bit less hot than the originals, but not quite as smooth as the 82' pressings that I also own.

Played on this vintage system, these singles were a very enjoyable listening experience......in a nostalgic way. I haven't played all of them yet. Only getting up to "I Feel Fine". But will continue to listen to the rest of them over next couple of days.

I plan to relisten to them on my modern system using a Clearaudio DC turntable with a Sumiko Blackbird cartridge, Primaluna Dialogue HP tube integrated and Sonus Faber speakers in the future. Should be an interesting comparison.

zobalob, JeffreyB, SwintonRed and 2 others like this.
  17. Exotiki

Do you think the edits in She Loves You are less noticeable with the new digital enhancements

18. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

You know that's interesting that you brought that up. I was going to mention in a separate post that on the new 2019 pressing of SLY, the vocals in some sections seem to slightly drop in sound level. Not sure if that's where the digital enhancement was done or not.

Exotiki likes this.
  19. Exotiki

Hmm, I have a list of where all the edits in the SLY master are so why don’t you make a list of time codes of where you hear the level drops and we can cross reference

20. MisterKite

MisterKite Well-Known Member

Good job Brodi. I knew they'd recognize your talent if you put it out there. ;)

Exotiki likes this.
  21. MisterKite

MisterKite Well-Known Member

Did Miles Showell cut these? If so, is there the left channel heavy, again? (or vise versa)

22. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

If I knew how to do it I would....lol! This time of year I have just enough free time to actually listen to the vinyl I purchase, let alone technically analyze it. But I'd be interested in your findings.

Exotiki likes this.
  23. Exotiki

This is a list based on an OOPS'ed Stereo Head She Loves You synced at the start of the 2009 Past Masters Version.

0:12 This appears in the third note of Georges guitar riff after the yeah yeah sequence in the beginning

0:37 This also appears in the third note of George's second guitar riff

1:02 just before the first "wooo"

1:15 Again in the third note of Georges guitar riff

1:22 This the famous "pride can hurt you to" edit

1:31 right before "and you know that can't be bad"

vinylbeat likes this.
  24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Sean Magee.

Exotiki likes this.
  25. If you blow up the picture, the flaw is visible, it’s not a big deal but should be easy to correct.

Exotiki likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.