2019 Beatles UK Singles boxed set (Was: "Beatles Mystery Boxed Set")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monasmee, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

All you need is love / baby you’re a rich man - I assume.
    I do agreed with you -on some threads I too find it impossible to work out

peace and love✌Dave

intv7 and Billy Budapest like this.
  2. Thanks.

3. rick harper

rick harper Forum Resident

sorry, not familiar w/ world records releases. i didn't know there was a singles box. thanx for info. yes, i have the 'crate' box. sounds wonderful. the compilers worked hard to find the weird mixes not available in England. I Am The Walrus w/ extra bar, All My Loving w/ Hi hat intro, This Boy in stereo, Love Me Do w/ Ringo, etc.

it's odd, just snapped into my brain, the early 80's Parlophone LP reissues i have, both mono and stereos, were, according to the info i have, pressed from the same mother/stampers as the original pressings! matrix numbers and the stuff written in dead wax etc. I've wondered what the story is. Except for the thinner vinyl, different label design, they sound and even look like the first pressings. I guess EMI kept those mother stampers a long time. Seems a mother can produce dozens [?] of press stampers. Which will work for about 20,000 LPs? I can't remember actual numbers. I believe there are photos in that great U.K. magazine, Record Collector. They might've given an explanation then, I just don't recall right now. You know how it is. Any corrections welcomed. Regards. -Rick Harper

NunoBento likes this.
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

All You Need is love/baby You're A Rich Man :)

5. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Count me as an audiophile who has really been enjoying this set a lot.

I’ve been going through them chronologically and have made it through 1967 while reading the the book while listening and dancing to some tracks with my toddler daughter. She like them too.

So far only one ( can’t remember which right now) had a very slight warp.

FWIW I have the mono box, a stereo blue box, all of the individual 2012 stereo LPs, a smattering of original 45s (mostly US) and various UK pressings of different vintages along with some US original US pressings. I stupidly sold most of my US original LPs after I got the US CD box sets 15 years or so ago.

This set has been a fun way to revisit all of these songs so far. Money well spent.

mne563, paolo, richierichie and 5 others like this.
  6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

That’s great!

longdist01 likes this.
  7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

All things considered and in spite of a few flaws, the singles box was well done. I wish that Apple would haven chosen a more modern “audiophile approach”, but that’s what the mono LP box is all about.

The majority of the records are all analog and the fact that the producers tried to replicate the authentic sound of the original Parlophone 45s is kind of cool. Should they cut the stereo albums in AAA, I hope Apple goes for the best sound possible.

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Had this been the “Capitol Singles Collection” using the original US 45 masters, Fremer would probably have given it a better review than he did for this set.

9. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

For those who didn't purchased the box set when the UDiscover Music Store had its Black Friday/Cyber Monday 30% off sale, today only the store is back with the 30% off discount:

The Beatles Singles Collection – uDiscover Music

The discounted price is $160.99. The product page says that the box set will ship on or around January 10, 2020. Have no idea if you get charged at the time of purchase or when it ships.

Furthermore, the UD20OFF discount code is still valid. There is another discount code for free shipping but you're better off if you use the 20% code.

10. Ha!

Seriously, Fremer has burned his bridges with the Abbey Road Studios team. It’s not his opinion about the sound quality, it was his unwarranted jumping to conclusions that caused the turmoil. All because of an ambiguous “tape transfer” credit.

Dean R, Nightswimmer and Tommyboy like this.
  11. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

I can totally relate. His reasoning made no sense.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  12. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Worst of all, that was after Sean Magee had bothered to write to him explaining the mastering. He was basically calling him a liar.

I understand the approach for this box. We already have the mono box with audiophile mastering, this box is about trying to recreate the sound of the original singles (not quite, but more or less similar to the Capitol CDs boxes).
    The problem is quality control: too many boxes with warped records, some distortion and sibilance here and there, the cover of the Day Tripper...

BeatleJWOL and Dean R like this.
  13. Dodgytc

Dodgytc Forum Resident

It is a great deal, and yes I ordered on Cyber Monday and have been told to expect it in January and my card has been charged.

TC

14. Yep, agree on all points. I haven’t been having any unusual sibilance problems but the number of warped 45’s is making me think about returning it for a replacement box, although there is no guarantee that a replacement would contain enough flat discs for me to piece together a perfect box.

15. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

I just broke down and ordered this. I already have the box set, but I am one of those who got one from Amazon France with many of the discs slightly warped. they were fine to listen to with a record clamp, and I already gave up the chance to return it by getting a partial refund (30 euros) from Amazon (I didn't want to hassle with returning it). But today I noticed that one record was dished rather than warped, and decided to take advantage of this UDiscover offer. When it comes in January, assuming the new one is OK, I will dispose of the original box set by selling it to a record store (with full disclosure of the slight warps of course), or maybe even give it to a thrift shop.

In the meantime I have it to listen to / look at. All I can say is the UDiscover box better not be warped! (If it is, this time I will return it.)

16. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

Went here yesterday (I live nearby). I bought a Singles Collection T-shirt, a Revolution/Hey Jude S. Africa 45 cover tie-dye T-shirt, Corgi Yellow Submarine toy, and an I Feel Fine (Swedish 45) tote bag. Plus a Singles Collection coffee mug as a gift. Impulse purchases.

And played the $8000 pinball machine!

Worth a visit, but better hurry - I think it closes 22 December?

17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Do they sell any music (LPs or CDs) there? Or is it just merchandise?

18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Do you like the 2012 stereo LPs?

19. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I still listen to the 2012 stereo LP's. I have the box set plus most of the Deagostini re-cuts (they are very similar). I regard them as an 'alternative' listen, somewhat akin to a remix, with the changes in EQ.

20. rick harper

rick harper Forum Resident

There was a way to upwarp records. Seems I was told by a guy at a record plant new records don't keep their flatness anyway. Sounds like they didn't let the records cool down long enough. You have to put them in the middle of a tight record collection, or put 'em between thick plexiglas w/ clamps in all corners. It does work. Had a Paul Bley LP that was impossible to play til I used this method. I left it in there for a couple days. Uh...that was circa '75.

21. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

So, wouldn't it cause the same effect to place it between two bulky books?

22. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

To be honest I probably haven’t listened to them since 2012 or 2013. I remember liking them better than the 2009 CDs. In general not as much as the Blue Box. Was it analog vs digital placebo effect? Could have been. I do recall thinking the mastering of the 2012s was pretty good and wondering what could have been if they’d cut from analog instead of digital.

23. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

Well, there was an article in Goldmine many decades ago, that gave instructions on how to put your LP between 2 sheets of glass, with cut out holes for the label area, and warm up this sandwich in the oven at such and such a temperature for an X number of minutes. Then let it cool down, and presto, you now have a flat LP. The intent being to relax the record, not cook it...

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Note a bigger difference than ADA vs AAA was the fact that the 2012 LPs were cut from the same "restorations" as the 2009 CDs. That is, lots of tweaks that weren't on previous releases.

25. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

No music, just merch. But there was music playing in the shop, as well as video....

Arnold Grove likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.