2019 Beatles UK Singles boxed set (Was: "Beatles Mystery Boxed Set")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monasmee, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I have it also and love it even though about half the discs have some level of warpage; they all play and sound great ("great" meaning, for how they're *meant* to sound). I'm also not crazy about most of the foreign sleeve designs-many of the various EP sets around the world were actually much nicer-but they're historically cool to have. And I love the various Parlophone label configurations.

2. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

What do u mean by breakout part? It's not meant for breaking out but putting in. This is a removable inner for singles. It's always been an adapter over here as are the others in that picture. You can find this type in Bee Gees and Who singles from the early 70s.

I know in Europe and the USA you'd probably remove them but not in the UK or Ireland. I'd love a couple of hundred of these to be honest

3. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

Actually, that black one is an adaptor, not a punched-out center. I've seen that style most often in German 45s. I always remove them - I use a metal cone shaped adaptor on my TT (despite my avatar). I save the adaptors and must have about 100 of them in at least 20 varieties.
    [​IMG]

4. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I have a bunch of those, they're adapters. The one I would call a breakout part is row 2, second from the left.

5. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Yes, that’s the one.

Dean R likes this.
  6. NumberEight

No, it’s definitely an adapter. See my post 6790.

Dean R likes this.
  7. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure that's an adaptor too. Here's a picture of one in action (from Discogs):
    [​IMG]

Most breakout parts (which should never be broken out or dinked unless necessary for a jukebox) are round, with 3 or 4 prongs. Some are triangular ("tri-centre"). My favorites are the Japanese ones:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  8. NumberEight

Minimalism in action!

You could hardly use less plastic if you tried. The Japanese got that one right.

9. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

The first one is the same shape as the breakout parts on a lot of singles from the 1950s. There's a few Elvis ones for instance with the triangular breakout.
    Elvis Presley With The Jordanaires - King Creole Vol.1

sethICE likes this.
  10. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

I can't imagine this being an adapter. An adapter would have to fit universally into a wide hole of a 7", no matter the manufactrurer.
    Were this an adapter, it would depend on every 7" disc having three little half-round cutout holes (where the gold-colored knobs would go into). So I suppose it's a breakaway part as well. Which could still serve as an adapter for this specific disc (one broken out), but not for others.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

How could you imagine it *not* being an adapter? It's gold colored. Vinyl is black.

Pretty sure there aren't any "half-round cutout holes" in the photo above.

sethICE likes this.
  12. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Duh, it's painted gold? Which befits the color of the lettering?

The holes cannot be seen as the breakout part hasn't been, well, broken out.

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No.

Dean R likes this.
  14. NumberEight

All these arguments are full of holes. ;)

Exotiki, Electric Sydney and Dean R like this.
  15. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

Now they know how many holes it takes to fill a forum thread

16. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

It is an adaptor. Yes, it looks like a tri-center breakout piece, but it's not. I've seen these. It has little round plastic tabs that overlap the label.

It should be noted that some types of adaptors are easier than others to install or remove. The yellow ones like my avatar, or the similar red ones, are probably the easiest. The hardest are probably the round metal ones. It's been a while since I dealt with a triangular one, but those are a bit tricky too.

17. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

This is a tri-center, as linked above by Beatlened. Breaking this out would leave 3 notches. But there are no holes or notches in the Coasters record pictured abpve with the gold adaptor.
    [​IMG]

18. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

No kidding. You guys are still on about this! I can't believe what my original post hath wrought!

The Beave likes this.
  19. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Time to rename this thread Those Doo Dads That Go In The Center Hole Of A 45 RPM Single Unless There's A Built-In Breakaway Doo Dad Already There.

20. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

Well, I for one am quite satisfied with my purchase. I got it two weeks ago or so at the price point I was hoping for ($150 CAD).
    The presentation as everyone says is top notch.
    My set has no issues with warps or anything.

I don't have any other singles version for comparison but to my ears and in my system they sound very good (I've listened to the first six so far).
    No, I don't think they are at the level of the Mono Box but I was approaching playing them with some trepidation and expected the worst and was pleasantly surprised that they don't suck (sound wise).

Having said that once I finish playing them all will I ever spin them again? I'm thinking probably not unless I setup some juke box or something?
    I mean come on, by the time I cue up a side and go to my listening chair it's half over! Have to get up again a minute later to flip the side. :)

But it is a nice set at the right price and I'm glad to have it.

sonofjim, drum_cas, Robur and 2 others like this.
  21. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Maybe just dance?

Robur likes this.
  22. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

If the metal triangle tips are just slightly wider than the hole and have three tips that go into the "jukebox hole", one could clamp them on any disc. :)

That said, my Beatles set set is still wrapped - I've been a bit too lazy to change my record player's belt to 45 until now. ;)

23. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Don't you have a switch for speed?

24. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

Me personally, no. My turntable doesn't either. Many good ones don't, actually.

marcb likes this.
  25. Quiverbow

Quiverbow Forum Resident

Many turntables don't have a switch; you have to remove the table itself and move the drive belt. My Rega Planar 2 is about 40 years old and has that system.

aoxomoxoa and Robur like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.