2019 Beatles UK Singles boxed set (Was: "Beatles Mystery Boxed Set")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monasmee, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I enjoyed watching this. Lots of good observations and comparisons, but no sampling of the actual music. I thought it odd that there was no mention of the Real Love/Free as a Bird single. Are these exactly the same mixes as the 1995 singles? If so, he might have mentioned this.

3. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

They are.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  4. A well respected man

So basically, what many people were saying over here: the set replicates broadly the sound of the original singles (which was what they set out to do) and that's why many people didn't like it.

Revoxy, billnunan, SunSon and 2 others like this.
  5. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

Interesting video , these do sound pretty similar when comparing to the few originals I have. Sound good to me

6. So, to resurrect this thread from the dead, have these sets been repressed yet and, if so, have the audio and artwork deficiencies been rectified? Wishful thinking, I know.

7. A well respected man

Now that you bring this thread back, I have to say I found another blunder in the covers. The original Argentina Yellow Submarine was actually a drawing (and then dotted) version of the Beatles for Sale cover

[​IMG]

While in the Singles Box they have recreated it simply by creating that dot pattern (which is clearly different too) on the real photograph:

[​IMG]

So I don't understand what the point is: if you don't have the original drawing, don't use the Argentinian cover for this single. It doesn't make any sense.

8. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

As far as drawings go that Argentina sleeve is one of the best I have ever seen. Paul isn't quite right but Paul is hard to draw, at least from all drawings I have seen of him.

NumberEight likes this.
  9. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

It could be the photograph with the features "enhanced" by hand. I've seen that before with photographs reproduced in newspapers in the 1960s or so. An artist will use pencil or ink in order to strengthen or emphasize certain features that otherwise might not reproduce well when reduced to big black dots by the halftone process.

10. A well respected man

This doesn't seem to be the case. Look at Paul's face form. In any case, the image is completely different. If they couldn't reproduce the original faithfully, they should have used another country's cover.

11. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

The best ones I've seen was on the Russian "Antrop" unlicensed version of the White Album.

SunSon likes this.
  12. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this thread and I'm wondering two things: firstly, is this collection truly AAA, and secondly, what is the general concensus here in regards to the overall sound and packaging quality?

Kind regards from NL,

Martijn

saborlord123 likes this.
  13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Other than a few early songs, yes.

Regarding sound, the consensus is there isn't a consensus.

14. I think there are only three “issues” with the set upon which there is wide consensus:

1) “Ask Me Why“ was cut from the wrong tape;
    2) The cover art for “Paperback Writer/We Can Work It Out” is horrendous;
    3) Many sets contain warped discs.

Lewisboogie and DBMartin like this.
  15. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

The discs were cut to sound like they were back in the 60s (with some minor EQ differences). This has a jarring effect on some, especially if you’re using Mono Masters as a baseline.

There are some excellent videos on the subject, one excellent one I just viewed was done by Parlogram Auctions on YouTube. He goes into good detail on the packaging, the set, and the sound.

16. Beyond Mania

Beyond Mania Forum Resident

The sound was better than I was expecting after reading a lot of comments.
    The packaging and sleeves are beautiful except for the one mentioned. Nice thick cardstock sleeves with text on the spine. The center labels all look very nice and are recreations of the international labels.
    My first set had many warped discs that still played through. I got replacements sent to me which were just as warped.

DK Pete and DBMartin like this.
  17. A well respected man

And the two "reunion" tracks from the 90s.

Lewisboogie and Exotiki like this.
  18. I meant Day Tripper/We Can Work It Out.

19. Exotiki

IIRC Love Me Do, She Loves You, Free As A Bird and Real Love were the digital ones.

BeatleJWOL and saborlord123 like this.
  20. AppleCorp3

Since this thread has started up again...what is the story surrounding the Canadian release of Love Me Do? Is that a dupe of the original tape or a needle drop? I listened to my copy today and I swear the fade goes on a hair longer than I’m used to hearing.

Exotiki and saborlord123 like this.
  21. Exotiki

From what I have heard, these are an effective facsimile for the sound of the original 45's in contrast to the more "HIFI" sound of later sets like Past Masters and Mono Masters.
    Beside All You Need Is Love/Baby Your A Rich Man and Day Tripper/We Can Work It Out the sleeves look nice, but beware of warped discs.

DBMartin, AppleCorp3 and saborlord123 like this.
  22. Exotiki

Love Me Do - Wikipedia

"Capitol Records Canada pressed 170 singles which were released on 4 February 1963 with catalog number 72076. This pressing was dubbed from the original UK single and featured Ringo Starr on drums."

saborlord123 and AppleCorp3 like this.
  23. AppleCorp3

So it’s a needle drop?

Vinylsoul 1965 and saborlord123 like this.
  24. Exotiki

It seems so.

AppleCorp3 and saborlord123 like this.
  25. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Is this the one?

Vinylsoul 1965 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.