2019 Beatles UK Singles boxed set (Was: "Beatles Mystery Boxed Set")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monasmee, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I reckon it’s gonna be a Ringo box set of some sort. Or ‘McCartney’ - produced by Rick Rubin.

2. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

1 on vinyl with 27 7" singles packaged in the 1 artwork in it's various variant colour schemes. Plus coloured vinyl.

jlf, Sean Murdock and jamiesjamies like this.
  3. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

The poor get an almost empty box with a note saying "www.spotify.com"

4. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Because of the many speculations on the internet, Paul, Ringo and Giles decided to mix the double album Beatles '71. Beatles solo songs with additional recordings by Paul and Ringo. :D

siveld and saborlord123 like this.
  5. PatrickG

PatrickG Forum Resident

The trend in the past few years has been to release archival material and I'd love to see more of that.

A singles box or a box of Capitol albums strikes me as having limited appeal. The Who's Track and Polydor singles boxes (which were pretty no-frills) both cost well over $100 a pop. And are enough people really clamoring for a vinyl re-release of the Capitol albums? I don't see it.

6. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

I hope they do not go the same way that the Bowie team goes. Release archive material on 7 inch vinyl only. I bought these boxes but it's so inconvenient. Changing the record every 2-3 minutes. In practice they never get played.

ispace likes this.
  7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I better leave this thread. You're obviously one of a few who don't like jokes.

aina and saborlord123 like this.
  8. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Since I found this bit of minutiae at rolling stone dot com:
    Between March of 1962 and May of 1965, the Beatles cut 52 BBC sessions, with the vast majority occurring during 1963, the year of their ascent, when their first two LPs, and a brace of early career-defining singles – “She Loves You” and “I Want to Hold Your Hand” chief among them – marked the band as entrants in a contest that had dated back to 1954, when Elvis released his first Sun sides, to determine the reigning gods of rock & roll.

Ergo... The Beatles: The Complete BBC Sessions.

Go big or go home!

aina, Sean, saborlord123 and 6 others like this.
  9. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Dude, come on. You weren’t kidding. You’ve suggested this as a possibility multiple times, and have repeatedly defended it.

10. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

The 1963 part is the problem with BBC sessions. In most cases the originals tapes are erased as in lost forever (maybe sometimes they even played live in the studio).

BBC sessions were a compromise to the unions. A lot of music on BBC radio was actually played by live orchestras, needle time was only a certain percentage of the day. By inviting modern artists in the studio, they were able to put more pop music in the air. The Beatles had a regular slot in 1963, a contract that was signed even before Beatlemania really exploded.

11. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

We’re finally going to get the Alpha Omega set all spruced up in 5.1.

Lemon Curry, Sean, spindly and 7 others like this.
  12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Me multiple times? You really didn't see other people mentioning that on the Abbey Road box set thread?

saborlord123 likes this.
  13. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

I thought you were among them. Apologies if I’m mistaken.

saborlord123 and Juggsnelson like this.
  14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'd liked the idea at first (because of things like the full film score by George Martin's Orchestra).
    But later I became sceptic as well. Just wanted to throw some fun post in here. I'm sorry, too.

saborlord123 and Juggsnelson like this.
  15. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Is this your guess, or do you know something we don't know? Taking it at face value -- will the 27 #1s be accompanied by their original b-sides? Will all (or any) of the tracks be remixed? If you're speculating, what would you prefer?

Personally, the only way I'd bother with a vinyl box of singles is if they're remixed. I've got the original 1992 singles CD box, and the 2009 mono Past Masters -- I'm good for the original mixes. But I could probably be convinced to spend an indiscreet amount of money to get "Revolution," "You Know My Name" (first time in stereo!) remixed.

16. Mark Fricke

Mark Fricke Forum Resident

Maybe the mystery box set is a complete remix with out takes and 5.1 of "All This And World War Two"!

That would be something.

[​IMG]

kwadguy and MPLRecords like this.
  17. Karl Denver

Karl Denver You’ll get nothing and like it!

I would think if they do singles (which I don’t believe they will) they will do the American singles. The UK have been done in the past both vinyl(box)and cd(box). In fact there were American versions of the UK cd singles that were sold separately(remember they came in those little plastic boxes)! The American singles have never been reissued(with original labels and picture sleeves) to my knowledge, with the exception of that little singles box they released a few years ago(I think it had the ticket to ride single, Eleanor Rigby and two others). As far as audio they would have to entice the fans somehow. Either the original mono AAA or doing stereo AAA, seeing that none of the original stereo have been sourced like that(with the exception of the 62-66/67-70 sets). I don’t think they would offer up remixes because they need those to debut with the deluxe box series. Again I don’t think it’s singles. I think it’s a Yellow Sub box of crap in the spirit of (Ancient)Egypt station!!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  18. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

A singles collection without Please Please Me would be an abomination. :)

Sean, zobalob, jmxw and 1 other person like this.
  19. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

I think these are good guesses and would have posted something similar. Maybe add another soundtrack CD which includes the film version of "It's All Too Much" and George Martin's underscore as heard in the film.

tingly likes this.
  20. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

It’s been done...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Yes and no. This nice box set unfortunately is an unauthorized release.

22. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

I'm not so sure about it. In any case, it should sell more than a singles box set, IMO.

23. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

The mystery box set is obviously a reproduction of Paul's shoebox - the one he left his shoes in.

Exotiki and delmonaco like this.
  24. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

With proper demixing we might remove Pete Best and add new drums by Ringo.

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

That would be great, and maybe Paul can also replace his vocal on the track which he's always considered to be a bit naff.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.