2019 Beatles UK Singles boxed set (Was: "Beatles Mystery Boxed Set")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monasmee, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ha! Funny. But no.

2. It probably will be AAA—considering that the Mono Masters comp LP was AAA, the mastering has already been done for most of the tracks. The “original U.K. sleeves” would have been mostly generic sleeves. I think the optimal way to pick the sleeves would be to use the two U.K. sleeves, then the U.S. sleeves for the others. Where the U.S. sleeves were duplicative or missing, then these holes could be plugged by international sleeves. This makes the most sense because the Beatles two biggest markets were the U.K. and the U.S.

vinylbeat and jamiesjamies like this.
  3. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident

I think it’s been mentioned but they could do a UK company inner sleeve and the picture sleeve as an outer one

Man at C&A and soundQman like this.
  4. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Disregarding "Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane" and "Let It Be" they are all generic company sleeves, but there are lots of different company sleeves:

The Beatles U.K. Single Index

MPLRecords likes this.
  5. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yes, and John was about to burn a hole in his pants.

[So Paul could fix it... ;) ]

6. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Erm... wouldn't they all need to be remastered for the 45s, regardless of whether or not they had been mastered on any LP?

Isn't the mastering process required for cutting the parts that press the actual vinyl?

[Unless they have old 45 masters laying around in a warehouse somewhere, which I find doubtful... but I could be wrong :shrug:]

Dean R likes this.
  7. The “old 45 masters” are cataloged and kept at Apple, and were used for the Mono Masters compilation, so doing a box of mono singles would be no problem. Yes, the singles would have to be recut, but the mastering was already done before for the Mono Masters compilation—all decisions made and notes recorded and cutting the 45’s to the previous notes would be all that would be needed. They wouldn’t have to reinvent the wheel as the previous mastering had already been approved by the Beatles committee. The stereo singles would need to be mastered again, however.

mne563, soundQman and jamiesjamies like this.
  8. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Excellent... now it's all falling into place... :cool:

Edit: PS, what do you mean by "kept at Apple"? In the EMI vault? Just curious....

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

[​IMG] ;)

Yayastone, jmxw and Henrik Jutbring like this.
  10. Yeah, not Apple. EMI (now Warner). Brain fart!

jmxw likes this.
  11. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

What are the odds that the singles have catalog numbers that are in the correct sequence..?

:hide:

12. Arnold Grove

Same odds as Lewisohn's Tune In Part 2 coming out this year. ;)

Ricardo Cosinaro likes this.
  13. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Oooooh..... that's not looking good... :shake:

14. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Universal owns The Beatles catalogue, not Warner. EMI was split between the two.

15. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

[​IMG]

16. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Those photos behind them were taken by Linda McCartney on 9 January 1969.
    She took many photos on that day, some of them even appeared on the Anthology book.
    So, the pic of the Threetles must be from Paul's studio.

17. You are not entirely correct. Warner owns Parlophone. Universal owns EMI Records and Capitol. So, Beatles catalog releases would be issued via Parlophone (Warner), but new issues could be Capitol (Universal). To muddy things further, Sony ATV owns the publishing rights but McCartney has a right to them too, governed by a confidential agreement.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  18. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

I thought Parlophone when it pertains to the Beatles nowadays isn't necessarily the existing Parlophone today but rather just used as a label to represent their original releases (i.e. the disc labels of any reissues, be it the 2009 reissues, the 2012 stereo and 2014 mono vinyl reissues, the anniversary editions for Sgt. Pepper, etc.), like the name is on loan to them or something, not necessarily meaning that the Parlophone that exists today owns any part of their output (wouldn't matter if it was all under the same EMI imprint at one time I don't think). I'm probably wrong and/or ignorant but that's what I always assumed.

19. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

According to MPL website, these are the only Beatles related songs Macca has rights to as of now.
    AIN'T SHE SWEET
    ASK ME WHY
    CAYENNE
    DO YOU WANT TO KNOW A SECRET
    EVERYBODY'S TRYING TO BE MY BABY
    FANCY MY CHANCES WITH YOU
    HONEY DON'T
    I CALL YOUR NAME
    I'LL BE ON MY WAY
    I'LL GET YOU
    IN SPITE OF ALL THE DANGER
    LOVE ME DO
    P.S. I LOVE YOU
    PLEASE PLEASE ME
    TILL THERE WAS YOU
    TWIST AND SHOUT
    WORDS OF LOVE
    YOU'LL BE MINE

andrewskyDE and MPLRecords like this.
  20. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

And boy I can only wonder what's in there! I know McCartney's lawyers wouldn't go down without a fight and neither would Sony, but the lawsuit seemed to end so suddenly.

21. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

22. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Hopefully style and looks won't trump sound for this sparkly and colorful exotic Christmas offering.

jamiesjamies likes this.
  23. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Why on earth does he do so many gigs when he could just live off those Fancy Me Chances royalties?

24. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

All of this stuff confuses me.
    I thought the rights that were the point of contention for so long, were publishing and the rights Paul got back, were the publishing rights.
    I must have got it all wrong. Because this list that Paul has the "rights" contain a lot of cover songs that Paul
    can't own publishing on, because he didn't write the songs.
    If it's all explained to me...five minutes later, I'll get it wrong again.

25. Arnold Grove

That list must be songs that MPL has the publishing rights. MPL (not Paul personally) controls the rights for the Carl Perkins tunes and Till There Was You and Words Of Love. He didn't write those songs of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.