2019 Grammy Nominees: Complete List

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HeyBullfrog, Dec 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

I've only ever heard Kacey sing on TV shows such as the CMA awards, and wasn't overly impressed with what I heard. So I never bothered to listen to any of her recorded music. But after she won Best Album, I went ahead listened to the Golden Hour album. Dang if you are not 100% correct! That is a beautiful sounding album, extremely well recorded and very enjoyable.

Brendan K likes this.
  2. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I don't disagree that the Grammy's have a "problem " with hip-hop, but I think it's a lot more to do with the music than with race . (And if you ever read the thread on Altamont, I'm not a person who is afraid to discuss racial issues).

For what it's worth, I don't think Led Zeppelin, The Who, or Jimi Hendrix ever won any competitive Grammys either

Osato likes this.
  3. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Yeah, race or not, it’s obvious the Grammys have “gotten” Hip Hop wrong over the years, it’s not about Drake or Kacey in particular.

I’m not a Grammy expert, but as far as I’m concerned the Grammys didn’t like rock back then, if I’m correct, The Beatles only won in 1968 and Jimi Hendrix was nominated for his live performance of USA National Anthem, not even his studio work! Also I may be wrong but the Grammys didn’t have the same reputation as they do now (because in the 60s it was still a “new” or “recent” ceremony, as it only in 1958).

4. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

That's my point- Grammy voters like certain types of music, and ignores others. It's all about their tastes, which has been pretty mainstream from the beginning. That is more a factor than race.

And the Grammys have been a big deal since I was a kid- especially in the 70s and 80s when there was barely any cable and most people watched the 3 big TV networks

Osato and Black Magic Woman like this.
  5. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Laugh all you want but the truth hurts, my friend.

6. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

This post is edgier than the entirety of Paul McCartney's solo discography.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  7. Apologies if this NPR article/editorial has been posted, but I found it to be an interesting perspective...

The Grammys Don't Have A Hip-Hop Problem. The Grammys Have A Grammy Problem

NPR: The Grammys Don't Have A Hip-Hop Problem. The Grammys Have A Grammy Problem

A key passage...
    • "The thing that connects these two responses — Gambino's no-show and Drake's show-out — is that both are inspired by the same dominant will, something few black artists have had the freedom to express without recoiling from industry backlash over the past century. For most of its existence, the Grammys has occupied the prejudicial throne of determining what art and culture and music best sounds like. Artists on the margins had to learn to code switch to get in where they fit. Now that hip-hop artists — and other historically marginalized voices — have flipped the script on all that hegemony, it's past time for the Academy to learn a new language."

8. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

the rock album winner was a joke, but truthfully it was a horrible year for rock albums

9. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Shallow brings home an Oscar!!!!

10. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

If a mainstream 2018 hip hop album should have won, it should have been Astroworld rather than Scorpion. The popularity of that one is also more organic in my opinion, and it wasn't 30 songs long (a modern form of stad padding with the way streaming stats work).

You're right that Drake is massively popular in hip hop, though I don't think that means his album should have won. I have to agree with what J Mac said that he's that Nickelback of rap music. I also think that 2018 was likely the apex of his popularity, he's not particularly young anymore and hardly anyone in hip hop remains superstar past the age Drake is now.

Kacey is younger than Drake, lol!

It is true that country music hasn't really made its way to Latin America, but most regional genres of music do not gain worldwide popularity. Pop is the exception because it's pop, it is easily digestible.

Even people like Anuel AA and Karol G who are massively popular in Latin America, is not popular at all in the US except among Latinos. Crossover hits like Despacito and Mi Gente are the exception rather than the rule.

(for anyone who wants to know why I bumped a 6 month old thread, I searched for a Janelle Monae song in the search engine and this came up. I saw some interesting discussions and decided to reply!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.