2019 Network Upfronts thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dillydipper, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Sultan Of Snark Thread Starter

I was wondering if this would make a good basis for discussing all the news pending and breaking about television series debuts and cancelations, rather than starting a separate thread on every dang show 10% of us care about, all throughout spring. Vidiot's had pretty good response on the yearly "movie hits and bombs" threads, there should be at least one umbrella thread on networks announcing changes in series.

Upfront Season seems to be the right time and place for that. For those who don't know, every network schedules an "upfront presentation" for the advertising community, usually waiting until most traditional broadcast seasons have just about run their course in Spring. They unveil the changes to their schedules, usually bring in a couple of big stars to do a special segment or two, and essentially schmooze ad buyers prior to commercial-pitching time.

Most of the networks that "really matter" get some press buzz, Hollywood rags regurgitate the headlines and it filters into the media-lite-chat circles so Entertainment Tonite and radio morning shows will have something to ooh-and-ahh about. I had a friend who used to write for a local supermarket-caliber TV magazine years ago, and she used to do a yearly "friends-bet" event (kind of a TV Nerds March Madness) based around it.

I found a site called "spoilertv.com" with a schedule of this years' upfronts, and while we're not into April yet, it looks like two upfronts have already come and gone, those involving the Hallmark channels, and A+E's properties. Obviously the biggies would be going last, because who wants to show their cards before Dick Wolf has had a chance to announce whether he's taking over Wednesday nights with a new "Law & Order: Dog Catchers", or "Chicago Dog Catchers" franchise, right?

Anyway, that's the way I'm thinking of doing it this year.

2. Dillydipper

3. Dillydipper

It appears the Hallmark channels' upfronts were first on the agenda, and that happened within the past week, so if you see your grandma this weekend, be patient and let her have her moment...

4. AKA

AKA You guessed it… Frank Stallone.

She’s still heartbroken over the loss of Lori Loughlin.

5. Dillydipper

Incidentally, if anybody's watching The Good Wife spin-off on CBS All Access The Good Fight with Christine Baranski, they just announced a couple days ago, it's been renewed for Season 4.

6. Dillydipper

Okay, here we go...although I know I started the thread a little early, there were things going on with respect to smaller moguls making announcements and cancellations and renewals and debut announcements, most of which too minor to talk about so far.
    Mostly various flavors of Discovery channels, A&E networks and Viacom wining and dining agencies for nights on end. But we start getting into it this week a bit more agressively. Viacom's bigger event is tonight, as well as Twitter and BBC News. Disney has an Upfront Tuesday, so you'll be seeing industry rags running home breathless, with "scoops" to share by Wednesday from the Mouse House ("Housing Development"?), although their major event with ABC networks and other cable holdings is two weeks away.

Conde Nast may have a little to announce about new streaming products Tuesday as well. Wednesday May 1st will see Hulu, Vice, and WalMart's streaming service try and get some eyeballs before the big guns suck all the oxygen out of the room. Speaking of "oxygen", something called the "Ellen Digital Network" will also have a chance to brag a bit about all the content you often run into online while you're most likely looking for anything but something from anything called an "Ellen Digital Network", but they do have content out there targeted towards that same demographic as Degeneres' daytyme empire.

By the way, many of these smaller providers are beginning to call these events "NewFronts" as opposed to "Upfronts", more in line with their new-media strategizing.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Fosse/Verdon is the only new show this year that I've given a **** about, and everything else is a holdover from previous seasons.

I'm so overloaded with too much crap to watch, I'm literally just now sitting down tonight to watch Game of Thrones for the first time. (Ehhhh, what can I say? I'm busy!)

8. Dillydipper

"NewFronts Week" shows a little glimmer here and there.

Apparently Twitter has entered into an agreement with Univision to produce content.

YouTube is going to be allowing their programming to be seen whether you're using Premium or not. Looks like they will offer some shows with commercials, others without if they were negotiated to be produced for their Premium platform.

Hulu's casting a new Marvel Ghost Rider series, including the actor who played the character on ABC's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. It's going to be a part of three rotating series of Marvel properties, joining the third season of Marvel's Runaways, and the new Marvel's Helstrom. So oddly, Disney+ won't be the only Marvel nexus in the media universe after all.

Hulu also renewed two of their sitcoms, Ramy and Pen15. And David E. Kelly has Nicole Kidman on tap for an adaptation of the Lianne Moriarity book Big Little Lies, entitled Nine Perfect Strangers. And Reese Witherspoon contributes a limited series called, Little Fires Everywhere (also involved: personal favorite Rosmarie DeWitt).

9. Dillydipper

With the major networks upfronts dominating next week, there are already announcements concerning cancelations, pickups and renewals here and there. This doesn't really set absolutely everything in stone, until suits and stunt-stars stand up at a podium in front of the advertising community. Day-to-day changes on final schedules are still being made, and don't take early cancellation notices if indeed even the news of some of these properties nevereless cause last-minute second-guessing, particulary in the wake of the recent practice of showrunners using these early announcements as excuses to get the viewers themselves involved in programming decisions (how many times lately have you heard of fans making a difference by sending network execs baskets and cartons of twizzlers, or canned hams or bolo-bats, depending on items used in the plot-points of some shows).

While they're at it, ABC is apparently looking at their entire sitcom lineup. It's been a major irritation to me the past year, seeing every damn ABC comedy titled as if they're only targeting the most generic traits of the viewers themselves, with titles like, "Family-this", or "Single-that", or "White Guy With Racially-Balanced Supporting Cast". It's cloying, obvious, hypocritical, and makes me wanna sell my Disney stock out of spite.

We already know CBS gets yet more NCIS, and on ABC Grey's Anatomy has apparently decided to make its' series run longer than the book itself (see what I just did there). And HBO's Game Of Thrones will doubtless spawn All-Star Battle Of The Thrones, Throne-vs.-Throne, and probably some cooking show called Throne Fight! (and one with Tyrion, only this time he's a super-spy, and Anya as a New York cabbie, and on and on...cantcha just see George R. R. Martin writing his own vanity cards for the credits, then the series having to shut down until he's finished writing them...?).

But among other breathless media outlets suddenly eager to talk about television for a week, here we have Hollywood Reporter's pages with regular updates to the on-and-off decision-making announcements of the major networks:
    ABC Scorecard: Complete Guide to What's New, Renewed and Canceled (So Far)
    NBC Scorecard: Complete Guide to What's New, Renewed and Canceled (So Far)
    CBS Scorecard: Complete Guide to What's New, Renewed and Canceled (So Far)
    Fox Scorecard: Complete Guide to What's New, Renewed and Canceled (So Far)
    The CW Scorecard: Complete Guide to What's New, Renewed and Canceled

Vidiot likes this.
  10. Dillydipper

NBC ("NBCU") starts the big week off Monday morning. Fox has the afternoon, and Univision has reserved time for the evening.
    Tuesday, Disney/ABC kicks off in the afternoon; another "TBD" slot for Univision that evening.
    Wednesday is for CBS
    Thursday for the CW in the morning, NBC Cable-focused presentations that afternoon.

So, even if you already know some of it, you won't hear most of it from major news outlets until these presentations have gone off as planned.
    These may be for the advertising industry and media buyers, but the networks themselves will be studying how it comes off in the press afterwards, so there may be some other shoes dropping afterwards.

11. Scope J

Scope J Forum Resident

When's the 2020 thread comin'?