2019 RSD pressing quality reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Apr 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident Thread Starter

Vinyl extravaganza expected tomorrow - its 2019 RSD! Let's use this thread to post reviews of the pressing quality of albums released tomorrow morning.

Defrance likes this.
  2. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

Got the Weezer Teal album and the 1st track on each side has a nasty noise.
    Rush Hemisphere is excellent.

3. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

The Fall - Imperial Wax Solvent....my copy slightly warped. Bit noisy in places. Mono Saucerful perfectly flat, bit crackly in places. Charlatans singles box ok..

4. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Will contribute as I listen to the stuff.

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks alternate, flawless, good pressing, though nothing compares to the original.

Bingo Hand Job - Borderline. The pressing seems fine, I just expected much better sound quality. This sounds like a bootleg.

5. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

Interested in mastering info or thoughts on the Lennon Raw and Woodstock mono (which could be gimmicky or sound quite good) depending on the source and mastering job.

Christopher B likes this.
  6. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

I have that original Bingo Hand Job and it is an audience recording I don't know how or why they released it. I tried to tell people on here before

7. Nightswimmer

I must have missed it, but I would have bought it anyways. I just assmued that it was professionally recorded. Hard to believe that it was not.

J_D__ and challenge like this.
  8. Nightswimmer

Sigur Ros - 22° Lunar Halo is not perfect, but good enough for the frequently very quiet music.

9. heavysoul

heavysoul Forum Resident

Lou Reed's Ecstasy sounds great.

I've had the now-rare original German LP for several years, but my copy was pretty beat up, with lots of surface noise. This RSD release will now be my reference copy of my favorite Lou album!

10. Canoli

Canoli Forum Resident

How’s the Alternate Fleetwood Mac? Are the early takes that much different?

Vinyl_Blues and gov like this.
  11. gov

gov Forum Resident

Dylan BOTT sounds great, slight warp but doesn’t affect play.

Evans is great except a small piece of vinyl got in one of the inner sleeves and left an imprint that ticks a few times. Otherwise great.

Hancock up next but might be tonight. Gorgeous day here.

Mugrug12, bomp, oldjollymon and 2 others like this.
  12. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

Just got back home and inspected my purchases. I managed to get everything I was looking for--Lou Reed Ecstacy and Jerry Garcia Band Electric On The Eel: August 10th, 1991.

I looked everything over closely under direct light from an led bulb and was pleased not to see any non-fill. Both discs of the Lou Reed Ecstasy reissue look flawless. The discs in the Jerry Garcia band box set seem to be slightly lighter weight vinyl and are free from obvious flaws or pressing defects. Look out for vinyl shreds on the JGB discs, though. My copy had a few loose strands on the edges of two of the discs.

I have a lot of listening to do this morning and afternoon.

13. AFA

AFA Forum Resident

10 years after - cap ferrat sessions sounds awesome!

Dennis Metz likes this.
  14. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Keep us updated on the sound of the JGB

15. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

*Remember kids - Clean your records before you play em*

(The stylus you save just might be your own)

16. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I agree - I have the CDs. Interesting curio... terrible sound. rip off releasing that on vinyl.

RubenH likes this.
  17. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

How is the Lou Reed? my one targeted buy....

18. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Prince Pop Life- both records warped, first one skips . It probably won't be easy to replace . WEA product , any suggestions?

19. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I thought this was the industry’s/hobby’s premier event showcasing the best in physical media in order to bring music lovers back into the shops.

I don’t understand why there would be any quality issues. I can’t imagine the record labels would ever try to take advantage of people!

JohnCarter17 and Jarra Lad like this.
  20. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Dylan BOTT with slight warp (as expected from MPO) but quiet (also expected from MPO). Truly amazing.

I’ll report on the less important albums later.

I didn’t find the R.E.M. but grateful now that I know it’s an audience recording.

J_D__ likes this.
  21. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

The Stones - Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass) - lovely flat, quiet pressing. Sounds great in mono. Really full sound and nice and crankable. Filling my room a treat as I type this. Very pleased indeed. You know something sounds good when you find yourself belting it along with Mick :pineapple:

mikedifr0923, Sean, Scope J and 8 others like this.
  22. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

Glad I passed on REM! It was the only thing I really wanted, but felt that I would probably never listen to it because of the sound ...

J_D__ likes this.
  23. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

subscribed

24. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

RSD a bust in my neck of the woods.

We have three record stores, two independents and a fairly major distributor with a retail operation. In our area of 100,000+ population, the grand total of Saucer of Secrets was 3...among all three stores. Two of the copies were taken by the store's staff, leaving one copy.

What I did get (Dylan and The Allmans) are warped and incredibly dirty. Rough edges on all three records and two are pressed off center. All have that smeared look in the vinyl.

Overall, crap. A bust.

25. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I just checked mine and both discs are perfectly flat and play great.

groovelocked and johnnyb1964 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.