2019 RSD pressing quality reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Apr 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

BOTT - like others have stated, a bit of non-fill on Side Two but overall sounds pretty darn good.

a-ha LP also sounds pretty great, so far
    [EDIT, into Side Two and the same applies. Really glad I picked this one up as it's different enough for repeat spins]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  2. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Haven’t gotten to any non-full on BOTT yet - I’m on side two at “Lily...” right now. If I hear non-fill I’ll report back.

3. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

Sort of off topic but how is the sound quality of last year's RSD picture disc of THE ZOMBIES "ODYSSEY & ORACLE"?Please excuse me if I'm intuding.

4. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

So far really enjoying the sound quality of 4-Way Street.

Al Kuenster, chumlie, jlf and 6 others like this.
  5. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

I'm not sure if anyone else here will be interested but the Mumford and Sons picture disc is very noisy - lots of crackles and pops. It's a shame as the performances are really good. The first thirty seconds or so sound like you are beside a roaring log fire, though it does settle down a bit after that.

6. VatiBobo

Have you done a search in last year's RSD vinyl quality thread?

7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Picked up the Garfield Fleming "Don't Send Me Away" 12", the copy I got is probably the worst pressing I've seen this century, more non fill than grooves, unplayable, I assume I was just unlucky and most copies are good, but as there were no replacements left by the time I'd got home and attempted to play it I can't say, the Decca Mod and R'n'B comps are nicely done though.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  8. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

I've often -- though not always! -- had that experience with picture discs. (Someone got mad at me when I said that last year.)

9. oddsbodkins

oddsbodkins Forum Resident

Halfway through BOTT and it's amazingly quiet. Hear some noise here and there on Idiot Wind through headphones but it doesn't negatively impact the experience for me. Very happy!

oldjollymon and SoundDoctor like this.
  10. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Agreed. Playing it now. This was top of my wishlist this year. And it's superb.

Drew769, longdist01 and Gaslight like this.
  11. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

I only bought one, which may not be too popular here but in case anyone is curious:

Robyn Body Talk.

The outside of this pressing said “Made in Chezch Republic” so I expected a GZ pressing, but the deadwax clearly indicates a Record Industry pressing, probably for the best.

Mastering is an in-house job, pretty decent, the top end seems a bit tame / rolled off in regard to the CD master, but it has a healthy dose of low end bass and control. Overall not a bad way to listen to the record but I would have preferred a dedicated master cut by someone experienced in this type of pop music.

Pressing is ruler flat and relatively quiet. I picked up some light noise (likely non-fill) on side D which is mostly acoustic vocals and piano.

12. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

So far...

Stones 'Through The Past Darkly' sounds very good, but there were a couple of clicks. The inner is card which might have contributed.

Stones 'She's A Rainbow' seems boomy - keyboard heavy, vocals good, everyone else in the mud. I guess this the mix though.

Thin Lizzy ' Black Rose' - The demos disc is punchy and fantastic.

Johnny Thunders - another excellent job. If only some of the material was up to the new mix and mastering...

Sly Stone - the vinyl is smudgy looking.

13. VatiBobo

Yeah, I know that picture discs have a bad reputation so I didn't have high expectations, plus M&S vinyl doesn't sound anything better than ok at the best of times. It's frustratingly close to being really good but it's just so noisy - easily the worst record I own for crackles and pops. Some cleaning may help a little, but I think it'll just be the quality of the pressing.

14. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident Thread Starter

Very eager to hear your thoughts on the Herbie; both how it sounds and where it was pressed.

15. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Czarface's Double Dose of Danger sounds pretty much as I had expected

[not for audiophiles] it's a quiet pressing at least

zombiemodernist likes this.
  17. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

I was a little apprehensive on the Bill Evans - Evans in England. I read that this was an audience recording before RSD, glad I picked it up though, despite that fact it sounds pretty good. Remarkable in places, even. Resonance always kills it with their RSD releases.

18. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Agreed, although I've done no comparisons with a zillion other version of these songs I have :)

Curious - mine came with no booklet - did yours?

19. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Finished “BOTT” and it’s exceptional. Listening to mono Albert King “Born Under A Bad Sign” and it’s immaculate for $29. Flat, quiet, and sounds worlds better than the CD.

Twinsfan007, jlf, Defrance and 6 others like this.
  20. dachada

dachada Senior Member

My Yes LP at the beginning of Harold Land song has a nasty scratch in the same direction of the groove. kind of stamper or fill problem. Wondering if there are more copies with the same problem

21. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

This was the only thing on my "Must Buy" list and I'm quite pleased. Dead-quiet vinyl, really nice packaging, and I'm not really hearing any missing top end on my system. (Huge bass though.)
    A bit curious why they didn't just do a straight reissue of the (now $300+) original pressing, but I will say I think they included some better tracks from the EPs with this one (and also excised the weaker tracks on the original album). Only quibble is including the EP version of "Dancing On My Own" as opposed to the original album mix..... I like both but I already have the first EP on vinyl so the other mix would've been nice.

The other RSD release I'm loving is the BOTT test pressing... for those wondering what I'm doing on these boards....

22. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Damn, I couldn't find that anywhere here in Toronto. Couple of stores said they didn't get any copies and that may have been due to a shipping delay...

Defrance and SoundDoctor like this.
  23. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

and great clan flat pressing too.

24. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this what you are referring to? Six page fold out booklet.

25. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Did you check inside the sleeve?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.