2019 RSD pressing quality reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Apr 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitchcortes

mitchcortes Forum Resident

How is Robert Plant Fate of Nations disappointing? Just the fact that it's on 1 disc or are there other issues? I ask because my local record shop didn't receive this lp but could try to obtain it in the following weeks. But if the pressing is lacking...

2. DrD77

DrD77 Forum Resident

Elvis Live sounds great so far too.

3. Robertjames123

Robertjames123 Well-Known Member

Beefheart “Trout Mask” suffers from significant non-fill (loud tearing sounds from left speaker) on side 3 track one (hair pie bake 2)...

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  4. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

5. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident

Elton John Live from Moscow on 2 clear lp's. Vinyl is very quiet. Record 2 has a slight warp but does not affect the playing. The source sounds a little bit muffled to me but is very listenable.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  6. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I’m listening to Side 1 of the Dylan test pressing and have run into a fairly healthy amount of nonfill.

fortherecord likes this.
  7. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Giving the My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade is Dead! live album a listen now.

Clean, clear copy with no surface noise or crackle. Some sibilance the further in the needle goes, but quiet passages sound great. The only issue I have with it is the same issue I have with the original CD/DVD - the crowd noise can be overbearing at times. Still completely satisfied, though!

mikeyt and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  8. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

My pressing of Alternate Fleetwood Mac sounds better than my copy of the original LP. Whether the stripped down earlier versions are that different from, or ever better than, the tracks that were originally released is another story...

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’m glad I passed on it.

Double glad I passed on it because I got almost everything I wanted and spent plenty already.

Christopher B likes this.
  10. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Having heard prior reports, I am actually pleasantly surprised at my copy of BOTT. It is not a deluxe package by any means. Paper sleeve, thin vinyl and plain Jane cover. The pressing is not especially well done either. My vinyl is thin but flat. It doesn’t have that sheen that nice vinyl should and my copy has quite a few scuff marks which luckily are superficial and largely inaudible.

Then there is the sound. Really quite good. I also enjoy this take on the songs. It is, however, punctuated by spots of non fill (just occasionally on my copy luckily). It’s sad they didn’t do this at least a bit better. The content is worthy and this was one of the most anticipated releases this RSD. It’s deserving of better implementation. I guess that’s putting it lightly.

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

MPO is wildly inconsistent. I’ve had my fair share of bad pressings from them.

They pressed the LPs for the Stones box last year. There were lots of problems with the records including Goats Head Soup.

sennj likes this.
  12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

How can this be? I’ve read so many times here that colored vinyl is inferior to black vinyl...

13. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

If non fill sounds like a lintball just went by, my BOTT has a lot of it on side one especially the latter half.
    I have to say that its really distracting on Idiot Wind.
    Side 2 is fine. I'm wondering if its worth it taking it back for a new one.

fortherecord likes this.
  14. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Side 2 seems to be mostly nonfill-free.

I will say that that pressing doesn’t sound awful by any means. Aside from the occasional nonfill and some warping (soon to be remedied), it really is a pretty quiet pressing.

15. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Japan, 'Quiet Life' / 'Life In Tokyo'.

Awful. Nicely pressed but the music gets distorted during all the choruses. Is this something to do with the files the pressing plant were given?

englishbob and Derek Slazenger like this.
  16. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I'll listen to it next and report back!

So far I've listened to the main LP of the Procol Harum mono S/T which sounded good but was very bassy, had to turn that down a fair bit. Just finished up Pink Floyd's A Saucerful of Secrets. No issues, but not as exciting sounding as last year's Piper at the Gates of Dawn.
    Nearing the end of Side 1 of the Plant LP. Flat quiet background and sounds excellent.

17. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I agree. Side two is cleaner. I would describe the sound quality as top notch or close to it. Overall, I’m not sorry I picked this up and would not attempt a return, even if my local would take a return (they won’t).

18. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

Dylan BOTT Test Pressing is warped with more than a dozen spots of Non-Fill across the two side. Other than that it's not bad.
    Alternate Fleetwood Mac is a very nice pressing. Centered, flat and quiet with very nice sonics.

19. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

Elton John Live From Moscow has a lot of noise during the last 2 minutes of Rocket Man on Side 1. Side 2 is perfect.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  20. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

I listened to BOTT on headphone and there were a few klicks (to expected) and one clear non-fill sound, but other than that it is amazing.

Gaslight and sonofjim like this.
  21. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

I have to agree with you! Compared it to the digital after I posted that and I think I was just misremembering the top end as being crispier than it was. TBH, accurate or not I actually prefer the top end to be natural like it is here vs the exaggerated V eq if most pop stuff. Anyhow this sounds pretty close with some killer bottom end.

I’m very happy with the tracklisting despite being hesitant. My favorite tracklist is the Swedish CD that was also on the OG LP, but this is a strong second option. I like that the acoustic tracks are on their own side too so they don’t interrupt the flow, but serve as a nice coda. Apparently Robyn curated this list herself, which is cool.

22. dee

dee Senior Member

Thx for the report on that!

deege3000 likes this.
  23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I have checked some of it out and it sounds really good, just about to listen all the way through now. I am so glad I got this! I had to sample after I cleaned it, which I normally wait to play in it's entirety, but I just could not wait. I would not hesitate with this one, only 1000 pressed.

mitchcortes likes this.
  24. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I just finished listening to the RSD release of Ecstasy and it sounds phenomenal. Aside from realizing how brilliant this album is overall--and so late in Lou's career!--what really struck me was the bass playing by Fernando Saunders. Just wonderful, particularly on the song Tatters. Right after I finished the album, I got out my CD copy because I couldn't figure out why my reaction today felt so different from prior listens. In comparison to the new vinyl reissue, the CD is rather loud and flat-sounding.

Absolutely no surface noise on my copy as well.

25. Emergency Whiskey

Emergency Whiskey Forum Resident

From what I've listened to so far:

The Charlatans' Us and Only Us sounds fine, but nothing special. If you already have a decent version in any format, probably not worth another copy.

The Gob Iron, Tindersticks, and David J 7-inches all sound good.

The Minus 5's Stroke Manor sounds great, and easily takes the best packaging award of the day.

Defrance likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.