2021's David Bowie box set 5 (Speculation Thread)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Slave2chaos, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

This is not related to Box 5 but was discussed upthread sooo... has anyone gotten the Storytellers vinyl? Amazon has been giving me the runaround and I'm getting nervous.

2. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Mine was delivered Friday (UK).
    Sounds good to me; listened to 3/4 this morning.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  3. VinchVolt123

VinchVolt123 I took a look at those hands.

Considering that redone stereo mixes has been a growing trend for a few years now (the Sgt. Pepper example from 2017 is the earliest one I know of, discounting the 1987 mixes of Help! and Rubber Soul), I'm starting to wonder whether or not the hypothetical Box 5 will conform to that trend and simply include a spruced-up stereo mix of one of the included albums rather than a full-on overhaul. Lodger and Never Let Me Down only got altered to such a significant degree because said revamps were loose ends that Tony Visconti and David Bowie respectively wanted to see tied up, and boxes 1 and 2 already included more minor stereo remixes with Ziggy Stardust and Station to Station. Given that, I'm inclined to believe that when Box 5 does come out, the obligatory album remix will likely be nothing more than a "modernized" stereo mix like what we saw on the first two boxes and in the recent Beatles reissues. Worst-case scenario, it'll probably be comparable to the 25th anniversary remix of Monster by R.E.M.

Demiurge88 and ejluther like this.
  4. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  5. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

jimhb, TonyCzar and croquetlawns like this.
  6. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

The CD page is showing the Japan set (presumably), but this is the real CD page, the one that it says I bought mine from when it came out: https://www.amazon.com/Loving-Alien...R/ref=tmm_acd_title_1?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Still about $120, which is I think is how much I paid for it then. Don't think it ever fluctuated much since but then again I don't check prices on things after I've already bought them and recieved them. I pay how much I pay for things and try not to kick myself if I later find out I could've bought it cheaper. More money towards the artists I guess, deservedly so, but that's just me lol.

Probably talked about, but I find it odd that on the YouTube channel how much they pushed this set with the Bowie TV minute-long episode deals or whatever and didn't do much for the others. I wonder when and if this next set comes out they'll do the same. I thought they really upped the promotional game on the last set (as well as the Glastonbury set), but who knows what they'll do for the next one.

7. VinchVolt123

I'm guessing the Bowie TV segments were only necessary as a means of convincing fans to buy the boxset covering Bowie's most controversial and critically maligned period of his career; Parlophone and ISO just happened to realize that it could also work for Glastonbury 2000 and promptly forgot about it after that, as record companies tend to do with promotional campaigns.

Colinjpush likes this.
  8. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’ve had two copies of the VH-1 Storytellers vinyl from Amazon now. On both copies, record #1 is so warped with a bowl shape that one side of the record doesn’t even touch the platter on the edges. It’s crazy. I’m using a Clearaudio Clever Clamp or whatever too. Doesn’t help.

9. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

It's fun to read how Hunt Sales becomes a bigger crook for every page. He is made for a role in Pirates of the Carribean.

10. Isn’t the hold up for Tin Machine having to do with one of the Sales brothers? I would love to see expanded editions of each album as well as I always felt that Rin Machine was Bowie’s next musical morph at the time.

11. I think we have a winner.

MGW likes this.
  12. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

That is too bad, as this Title would have interested me. I did not realize the CD/DVD was first released in 2009, as thought it was earlier that decade(I did buy it), but guess that was the actual time of when the VH1 Storytellers was performed a lot earlier than the CD/DVD Release.
    *Edit-just saw it was performed for VH1 in 1999.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  13. VinchVolt123

It's been mentioned several times on this thread, but there is a theory that rights issues with Hunt is currently an obstacle, often tied in with the theory that Tin Machine II was deliberately kept OOP for over 25 years to keep him from getting potential drug money (as he's reportedly been coping with addiction for ages, but has recently cleaned up from what I can tell).

wayneklein likes this.
  14. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

tin machine box in 2020

15. That's rather sad if that's the case. I'm glad that Hunt is on the mend (and I remember reading an interview with him on the subject of his addiction, etc.)BUT he looks really really awful. He looks like he just got out of prison as well.

Azorbz likes this.
  16. VinchVolt123

If I recall correctly, he only managed to clean up fairly recently, so his somewhat shabby appearance today seems to make sense from that perspective. If that is the case, hopefully that means that the issues regarding Tin Machine II can be resolved soon enough.

croquetlawns likes this.
  17. VinchVolt123

Nihilmatters likes this.
  18. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

It's limited, it's coloured, it's got one side completely etched and has absolutely zilch new material ... what more could we possibly wish for ?!

[​IMG]

19. VinchVolt123

In all fairness, it could be of interest to fans of Ralph Bakshi's filmography, but that's about it.

20. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Yeah, it’s not a Bowie release. There are a lot of people out there who buy soundtracks... that’s who will buy this record.

21. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

I had the S/T back in the day and it’s pretty enjoyable, IIRC...

ad180 likes this.
  22. VinchVolt123

I'm well aware, I'm just mentioning it because the inclusion of "Real Cool World" makes it the closest thing we have to a reissue of post-1987 Bowie material in 2019.

Really, the lack of major updates on the future of the David Bowie back-catalog beyond SDE's "more 'era' boxes are coming, but that's all we know" assurance can get irritating at times.

Azorbz and croquetlawns like this.
  23. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

archives boxes

24. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Vot izz point ?

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  25. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

Hunt Sales rocks. He looked like a poser on the inner sleeve of Tin Machine II but was obviously more than that. I look forward to the box set. Tin Machine deserves a second chance. It's time for a re-evaluation.

akmonday and Mother like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.