2021's David Bowie box set 5 (Speculation Thread)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Slave2chaos, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank Irons

Frank Irons Forum Resident

Oof, the stuff that'd really have a chance of exciting me would be Station to Station up to Scary Monsters. I hope they wouldn't just stop at Diamond Dogs.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Bink and muzzer like this.
  2. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I would certainly welcome that but is there much in the vaults from those albums that would justify it?

Yes we know about the proposed soundtrack for The Man Who Fell to Earth which could fit in a set with either Station to Station or Low. But what else?

There have already been 2 albums from the'78 tour and there wasn't even much variation in that setlist.

These sets seem to work for the earlier years because there are radio sessions, various live recordings and outtakes to choose from.

Maybe I am wrong. I am sure they will always find a new way to re-release those albums.

3. Frank Irons

Frank Irons Forum Resident

I'm not quite sure myself, but I'd be satisfied with just alternate mixes personally. I have heard that "What in the World" was originally for Iggy Pop's The Idiot (and wasn't placed on Pop's very new box set), and besides that I know there's an alternate mix of "Crystal Japan" that was used in Bowie's ad, and they could perhaps use the "It's No Game" backing track used for both versions. Maybe there isn't so much for a big box set for each album, but at least something on par with Is It Any Wonder? would be fine by me. Really, my wish comes down only to the fact that the albums are more experimental, more obscure (musically speaking, not in terms of popularity), and that I think that leaves more to uncover than Bowie's more conventional work. Well, that and also that those are my favorite albums of his.

Bink likes this.
  4. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Actually as I mentioned in a previous post in this thread they could start adding a dvd component to these sets. So the Station to Station set could include something from the 1976 tour even if it's just the rehearsal footage (if that's all that exists).

And there is certainly plenty of footage from the 1978 tour for the Low / Heroes set.

Maybe the Scary Monsters set could even include the Elephant Man Broadway performance.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  5. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

If we project that forward it's quite possible we may actually end up getting all the different takes it took for DB to immortalize his cameo on the Yellowbeard movie on a future dvd :winkgrin::unhunh:

6. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

If the sets are a success and there's money to be made, I'm sure they'll keep going!

Bink likes this.
  7. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Until they discover that there is another Ziggy Anniversary coming up, then they reboot the reissue series AGAIN.

sortvinyl and croquetlawns like this.
  8. footprintsinthesand

There will come a day when Nigel Reeve will call Ken Scott for another remix of TRAFOZSATSFM and he'll go: Ziggy what ?!

OldSoul likes this.
  9. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

Yeah I saw Steve Pafford's blog about it. Doesn't necessarily mean it will happen exactly as he says, it is just the plan. And you are right, we are just basing it on what's out there now. I'll buy whatever does come next though, whether it be another album, the next box set of albums, something entirely different, whatever. As long as there's some brand new, unreleased, or hard to find content, I'm in. I care too much for Bowie and his work lol

Badlands and Bink like this.
  10. vlad676

vlad676 Forum Resident

ad180 likes this.
  11. vlad676

vlad676 Forum Resident

...I’ll be so strong, again and again...
    David Bowie, It's Gonna Be Me @ 5min:09sec

12. gamuzajoe

gamuzajoe Forum Resident

After the Tin Machine omission last year I was expecting the 2020 box to be 1993–199x, but what if they eventually start it right after LTA (i.e. 1989–199x) just to include Sound+Vision live and Fame '90 in Re:Call 5?

If they do so, I still would prefer them to stick to releases under «David Bowie» name and omit the first Tin Machine, just to keep some hopes on an eventual TM box. However, I cannot think of an alternative to justify the “1989” in the title...

RrobynneUK and croquetlawns like this.
  13. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Dear Mr Zysblat, all this idle speculation isn’t going to make it any more likely I buy this next box, whatever’s in it. Thanks for everything anyway, looking forward to that TMWFTE soundtrack ;)

14. croquetlawns

I wonder if Pretty Pink Rose and Gunman will be included on Re:call 5 - are there any rights issues with Belew or the record company?

15. footprintsinthesand

Probably not, unless they want Bowie to be a featured player.

16. croquetlawns

That would be a shame, as he sings lead or co-lead on both. I'm thinking that it's not that different to being a guest vocalist for Tina Turner on the two live tracks on Re:call 4.

Runicen and gamuzajoe like this.
  17. aladinmaine

aladinmaine Active Member

it`s too late to be hateful...

18. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Is Liveandwell.com for actual sale (even download) anywhere in the US? Or just available for streaming?

19. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Streaming only.

CBackley likes this.
  20. Rant423

Rant423 Forum Resident

21. CBackley

22. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

Now that is really cool!
    ... even if this release means that the chances for a Tin Machine box set are now at about zero.

croquetlawns likes this.
  23. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

That is an independent label. This would rule out that Parlophone can release it in a David Bowie Box. Would that mean that the next box looks a bit like this:

Tin Machine
    S&V live
    Black Tie White Noise
    The Buddha of Suburbia
    Outside
    Earthling
    Is it any wonder
    Liveandwell.com
    Dance 2
    ReCall 5

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  24. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

Awesome! Now I can replace my copy of suspect provenance that's missing "Stateside" (though some might call that an improvement ;)).

croquetlawns and CBackley like this.
  25. CBackley

That sounds ideal.

vlad676, croquetlawns and DBMethos like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.