2021's David Bowie box set 5 (Speculation Thread)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Slave2chaos, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Sure, if one were illiterate in French!

2. APhillyKid

APhillyKid Forum Resident

I agree about the cover art
    also had someone else posted this, i would have had to go back and listen again
    to comment intelligently so i hope that is why few responses rather than lack of
    interest.
    Like i said, had a very specific reason for doing this
    about the reprise... as i said, i definitely like the opening version better as a track,
    but because of the places the album travels, think the reprise is a good closer,
    even if not the better version

Steve Carroll likes this.
  3. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

I just realized, if Parlophone sticks with the time scheduele of the previous carrer spanning box sets, they could announce the fifth one this or next week! :eek::eek::eek:
    Since all their recently release-related annoucement happend on a thursday I would go with this day of the week again.

(Still if a fifth boxet actually happens, I can imagine that they will wait until the third live album hits the streaming services, which probably still will take another month or so)

Steve Carroll and Curveboy like this.
  4. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

The Quietus | Features | Anniversary | 25 Years On: Revisiting David Bowie's Buddha Of Suburbia

A nice retrospective article for Buddha’s 25th anniversary written a couple years ago.

A couple things I took of note of:

Anyone else ever hear the rumor of a proposed tour of select dates playing Buddha/Lodger in full? This was the first I had heard of this.

There is also a mention of a Strangers When We Meet demo out there from the Black Tie White Noise sessions, though I think they just may be referring to the early mix that appeared on the Buddha promo cassette.

5. Steve Carroll

Steve Carroll Forum Resident

. Gotta' love local news ...

cmcintyre and stepeanut like this.
  6. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Nice to see Chas Pearson and Charlie Brookes in there. We still keep in touch and see each other when we can.

Dave looks like he’s challenging for Joe Denly’s place in England’s starting XI.

Totti is god, cmcintyre and johnnyyen like this.
  7. Steve Carroll

I figured you might know some of these faces. And I hope that is a Yorkshire Cricket Sweater David has on. I don't know how Bowie could remain so graceful in the face of such predictable and laming questioning. No doubt the head of news asked the reporter to have Bowie sign his copy of Let's Dance for good measure.

stepeanut likes this.
  8. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Don't forget that he was also a huge Pixies fan and their anthem 'Debaser' could have re-reminded him of the film.

9. stepeanut

The Vic Reeves-style stage kicks made me smile. Speaking of smiles, I missed his old teeth once he had them fixed.

Rob Byrne and Steve Carroll like this.
  10. Steve Carroll

The original sleeve is awful - two minutes to knock that up.

APhillyKid likes this.
  11. Steve Carroll

Nice analysis. I always got the impression that the album was not fully formed, or that Bowie got tired of the project, or changed focus. It just doesn't gel as an album to my ears. Maybe that is because it is a soundtrack project and therefore isn't meant to track like a 'conventional' long player. I am very fond of the version of 'Strangers When We Meet'. I also read somewhere that Dead Against It was worked up for Outside but don't know if that it true or not.

12. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Dead Against It was pencilled in for Earthling.

13. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

And the place he would probably have seen them is the ICA, which was why he was keen to do a benefit for them at the Intruders at the Palace gig at the Dominion Theatre in London in 1988.

14. Steve Carroll

As someone who also has 'new teeth' I wonder if Bowie missed his old chompers - cos I miss my old set! Sure, my new ones look better, but for 40 years I had the original set which not perfect, seemed to suit my mug better. I feel the same about Bowie's newer nashers - they seem sort of ... I dunno ... too big and perfect for his rather beautiful face.

15. Steve Carroll

Hmmm. The could have been very interesting, the original wall of synths played against a 'drum and bass' backing and more up front vocals.

16. APhillyKid

APhillyKid Forum Resident

i agree might have made the tune a little more adventurous to listen to.

17. Roxy6

Roxy6 Forum Resident

I wonder if there will be a third '90 show to stream after the Ouvrez Le Chien stream...???

This question came up, by looking back when the announcements were made...
    On the 7th of may Bowie.News came with the message: three 90s shows being made available to stream soon...

in the same message:
    DAVID BOWIE ‘LIVEANDWELL.COM’ 1997 LIVE ALBUM AVAILABLE TO STREAM FROM 15th MAY

LITTLE WONDER (LIVE IN NEW YORK) AVAILABLE TO STREAM FROM 8th MAY

On 25th June Bowie.News announced the Ouvrez le Chien stream, available from 26 th June.

Nothing more is said about the Little wonder stream, but `I presume this is the first one...
    If this is all right, nothing stands in the way to announce the 5th box set, which I hope will follow soon :)

18. Roxy6

Roxy6 Forum Resident

By the way... I don't stream, instead wait for the real stuff to hold in my hands :)

19. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

They meant the pre-release of Little Wonder from the Liveandwell.com as a single.

And yes a third live album is coming.

Roxy6, Curveboy and Justin Brooks like this.
  20. Roxy6

Roxy6 Forum Resident

thanks Django216 !

Django216 likes this.
  21. Caruso65

Caruso65 Forum Resident

Sound and Vision for the third?

22. ShockOfDaylight

I think it will be another release from the 95-97 era (which I’m totally cool with), as the original press release video only showed footage from those tours.
    I have a feeling Sound and Vision will be getting a physical 2cd/dvd (Tokyo ‘90?) in the near future, though.

23. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

I guess it either that or a 1996 performance, which (according to wkipedia) could be seen as a new tour called the "Outside Summer Festivals Tour".
    With Nine Inch Nails Gone, the setlist is quite different from the shows before, so I would definitly like that!

A few songs from the upcoming Earthling Album (I think Little Wonders and Telling Lies) were also performed on that part og the Outside-Tour for the very first time.
    So maybe we get one of those concerts that sort of links both albums?
    (And this time please as a CD/LP aswell)

24. stepeanut

I think of the summer 1996 dates as another leg on the larger Outside Tour, rather than a discrete tour in its own right. There were indoor dates as well as festivals, and the shows were definitely marketed as being part of the Outside Tour, with a tour programme available in Japan as well as other Outside merch throughout the summer dates.

“Telling Lies” was debuted in Nagoya, Japan, in June, but “Little Wonder” was not added until the September ballroom shows in the United States.

Personally, I consider the ballroom shows to be the final Outside Tour dates, but not everyone agrees on that. The stage setlist for the 1996-09-14 show at Roseland, NYC had the words, “One year later,” at the top — a reference to the Hartford, CT show 12 months earlier to the day.

25. ShockOfDaylight

Checked out the setlist for Roseland and it looks like there was an early version of Seven Years in Tibet performed as well, I think they’d just finished recording Earthling around this time.
    I’ve alway liked that song but never cared for the first few lines, even though I know the context, it’s one of the few times I felt he was too exact in the picture in he was painting, to the detriment of the song imo. I actually find myself playing the mandarin version more because of this.

Adam Bosman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.