2021's David Bowie box set 5 (Speculation Thread)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Slave2chaos, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Perhaps there's no one to write a new story?
    Q Magazine to close after 34 years

croquetlawns likes this.
  2. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

scobb likes this.
  3. Demiurge88

Demiurge88 Forum Resident

I don't have high hopes for further music video collections, but I'd love if it we got one. A sort of improved Best of Bowie; remastered, up to date and complete.

More concert videos shouldn't be impossible at all, though.

croquetlawns, Runicen and CBackley like this.
  4. Rant423

Rant423 Forum Resident

Here if you're curious

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  5. Tyler Chastain

Tyler Chastain Forum Resident

Honestly it surprises me that we're in 2020 and there are still no Bowie Blu-ray releases. Hell I remember thinking that like 10 years ago! We're definitely overdue for something like this.

If I was dreaming, they would be releasing the Bowie catalog a la XTC or Yes as CD+Blu-ray sets with all relevant video content and hi-res/surround versions of the album and demos and extra material.

6. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I can feel my hopes for an Autumn 2020 Bowie box starting to dim a bit. :(

Nicode70 likes this.
  7. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Pennebaker's Ziggy Stardust film being upgraded to Blu-ray would be a slam-dunk. Parlophone already control the rights for digital releases, the remastered print surely exists in HD quality already, why wait to pull the trigger?

8. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I am guessing that if it will happen it will be on the 50th anniversary.

Let's hope they restore the full concert with the Jeff Beck section.

fishyboots and paulybauls like this.
  9. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I think there will be a release of a Deluxe Box Set for ‘TMWSTW’ and possibly combined with ‘HD’ similar in design and quality to the ‘CP’ Deluxe Box Set that was released last year.

I am hoping for a BluRay release of the 3 BBC Documentaries eventually, as I only saw the first one(Five Years) on PBS, and would like to own all of them.

fishyboots, Rob Hughes and Bink like this.
  10. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I read an interview with the director of those BBC documentaries a while back and he indicated that he might work on a feature length version.

Personally I think if that happens they should do one that goes up to Let's Dance. Then a follow up that documents the rest of his career.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  11. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

That should be the case, it was shown in movie theatres. Should get at least 4K scan quality.

12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

It (the Ziggy movie) was restored to HD already by Pennebaker Films. It's been shown again recently in movie theatres from an HD digital print

Would be interesting if they included the 2002 surround mix, the 1983 mix (with additional audience overdubs added by Pennebaker taken from an Edinburgh screening where the audience sang along) and the vintage '73 mix pre-overdubs, as well as the Beck footage as bonuses

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    markreed likes this.
  13. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

I’ve been hoping for career long doc like Beatles Anthology. A fifty year career such as his begs for a 10+ Hour film.

14. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

So, it’s the last Thursday in July. Surely we can expect an announcement today. Believe hard enough and it just might happen.

scenescof and Nicode70 like this.
  15. Nicode70

Nicode70 Overspending completist

Figers crossed, hopes up.

Etienne Hanratty likes this.
  16. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

To be honest, I doubt it.
    I think that before there is even the slightest chance of a boxset announcement, they need to announce the third streaming live album, which I don't think will happen today since next week is the anniversary of Ashes to Ashes which they probably use to release a remastered music video of the song (And maybe a picture disc).
    The last two streaming concerts were announced on a thursday so they can drop a single from it the next day because nowadays for some reasons all singles have to be released on a friday.

17. scenescof

scenescof Forum Resident

Fingers crossed! They better announce the box eventually as I've gone ahead and sold my 90s era Bowie vinyl and CDs in anticipation of a price drop if they do make an announcement...

Nicode70 likes this.
  18. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

You pray till the break of dawn
    (Believing the strangest things)

[​IMG]

TM II, BTWN, 1. Outside, hours ... ?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    CBackley likes this.
  19. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

That may not end up being the best decision... But most of the CDs at least are cheap to re-buy if necessary!

CBackley likes this.
  20. scenescof

scenescof Forum Resident

I regretted it as soon as I left the post office!

It was Earthling plus some BTWN 12" singles I never listened to anyway... the copy of Toy I sold went for a lot of money - definitely enough to buy the next box when/if it's ever released :laugh:

croquetlawns likes this.
  21. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

That surprises me when it’s sourced from the download available on the net!

croquetlawns, scenescof and Colocally like this.
  22. Rant423

Rant423 Forum Resident

I never ever listened to Toy. No real reason why, it's probably the only major stuff by Bowie I never heard.

Do you recommend it? What's the album it sounds most like?
    (is the last question even in correct english? sorry)

23. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Go on YouTube and hear for yourself. There’s some Heathen era songs so it ties there a little.

24. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

It’s worth a listen. But I find it kind of all blends together and gets to be a slog.

scenescof likes this.
  25. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

If it had been released it probably would've been regarded very low in his canon, kinda like an updated PinUps where he covers himself. It sounds like a bunch of "Heathen" b-sides to me, which is where about half of them ended up anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.