2021's David Bowie box set 5 (Speculation Thread)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Slave2chaos, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roxy6

Roxy6 Forum Resident

I wonder when the third live stream will be announced?

And shortly after the real stuff ~(5th box~) All signs through this years posts and choices are pointing towards a nineties-box which will be highly appreciated.

I presume that after Nile Rodgers did his job on BTWN, Also Eno and Plati have to do there's on 1.Outside and Earthling ( as I understood all Bowie's work for the box sets were giving special attention from the formerly produces with use of the original masters).

Also I think the delay of announcement can be caused by covid-19, but I'm still convinced the career-spanning box-sets left in the series will eventually see the light of day.

Cat People and scenescof like this.
  2. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

Some posts were deleted, don't ask me which and why cause I don't know.

3. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

It looks like a self promoting blogger's posts were removed. To be honest they were getting increasingly annoying.
    You have to be of impeccable reputation to get away with it. Like being the owner of Intervention Records, then you can announce future products, link to new releases, do product suggestion queries, link to sales pages, handle complaints here and after sales, liquidation sales, announce a rebirth and so on ...

bob60, ShockOfDaylight and Django216 like this.
  4. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

I think the guy who kept posting the Steve Pafford links (who obviously was him) either deleted their profile or just all their comments, so all the replies to those were removed as well.

5. ShockOfDaylight

It looks like we may not get leaked info about the release of the next box set, that happens to be the same day as the official announcement, like on Conversation Piece:doh:

6. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

I think we should put this topic to rest now.
    Ashes To Ashes Pafford To Pafford we know nothing about a boxset

7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I agree, Slow Burn is a fantastic single.
    I can't remember why it wasn't a big hit, I remember Bowie performing it on TOTP TV show

Cat People and Roxy6 like this.
  8. Roxy6

Roxy6 Forum Resident

Help! Don't stop.....
    I prefer to continue..... remember there could be several reasons why there isn't an announcement until now. (if only the horrible covid-19)
    But all the arguments pointing out there must be something in the pipeline are still standing (NR > BTWN) all the nineties material brought into the centre of attention....

I'm pretty sure The fifth box will see the light of day eventually.

The highly admired diva Marlene Dietrich used to say: the longer they wait, the better they like it....

DTK and scenescof like this.
  9. Roxy6

Roxy6 Forum Resident

unfortunately I didn't see Bowie perform Slow burn on TOTP

10. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

Don't worry, I didn't mean to end the boxset topic but the Steve Pafford topic.

Roxy6 likes this.
  11. Roxy6

Roxy6 Forum Resident

you make my day...Django 216

On the moment this topic should close without a 5th box set, we all suffer a sad and disappointed mood I suppose :agree:
    So in between it is good to read all the messages, thoughts and wishfull lines of all the contributors.
    In a way it fills the gap between the box-sets.

Cat People, Markyp and Django216 like this.
  12. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

Good news is that even when the fifth boxset doesn't appear any time soon, there will always be a new David Bowie Release to look forward to.
    And I will probably always speculate what could or should happen next. I kind of really liked imagine possibly future releases and make up wild speculations when I get bored at work.
    I came up with another one today that ties up afew loose ends we currently have.
    Here it comes:

Even if I don't care much for this series but I think that is quite strange that there won't be a 7-inch Picture disc on the 4oth anniversary of Ashes To Ashes.
    This is one of the most important songs of Bowies career and it really is strange that this is not released on time.
    So its either Covid-19 that made impossible to press them (Which I don't think since many, many other releases are currently announced) but maybe there is a strange tie-in with another thing that should happen this year.
    (So here comes the wild speculation) I am of talking about an official release of the Sound+Vision Tour.

Aslong as Parlophone don't think that there are too many bootlegs and semiofficial releases floating the market, this one has to happen and it very well could happen this year since its the 30th anniversary of the tour AND there is already an established focus on Bowies Tour between 1990 to 2000.

So my call: They will announce the Ashes to Ashes Picture Disc this week aswell as a Sound + Vision Live Album for streaming because the B-Side of the ATA Pic-Disc will be a live version from the 1990 Tour.
    (Personell Side-Note: I love the song but the only live version of it that really works for me is surprisingly from the S + V Tour)
    PLUS: They could rerelease a remastered music video for Ashes To Ashes.

Then shortly later, they will announce the next Bowie box with all three live releases and the live single of Ashes To Ashes will serve as a teaser.

This will not likely not happen but this weird plan could answer afew questions we currently have.

Also I thought about what my perfect release of the S +V Tour would look like.
    Many shows from that tour were recorded but overall this one is really not one of Bowies interested tours (You could easily call it quite boring)
    Still: I think there are afew good performances (Like Ashes to Ashes) and the early shows had some rarer tracks on the setlist.

So I would actually prefer if we don't get one perticular show but a live album with material from many shows. Best example would be PULSE from Pink Floyd where one song could contain recordings of serveral performances.
    I know a lot of people prefer one consistent show but I think that this approch, which shows all the highlights of the recorded shows and includes some of the rarer tracks could be the best possible release of this tour.

Kuffdam, croquetlawns and Roxy6 like this.
  13. Caruso65

Caruso65 Forum Resident

I would like a mix of shows for S&V Tour also with every song performed

Cat People and Django216 like this.
  14. ShockOfDaylight

[​IMG] [​IMG] While it appears that next box set may be even further delayed, happy to have these 2 disc sets to fall back on. Also, looking forward to what the next 90s streaming release will be.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  15. Roxy6

Roxy6 Forum Resident

Again I totally agree Django 216!

In the nineties I saw Bowie performing the Sound & Vision concert in Rotterdam Ahoy.
    It was not comparable with for example The Serious Moonlight or the Glass Spider tour, more Bowie performing his hits and famous songs.
    So the idea of making a kind of compilation of the best performences of different shows, give us the best in one!

When is the 40th birthday of Ashes to Ashes ? .......(great clip with Steve Strange and Bowie)

Django216 likes this.
  16. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

I wonder if Nile Rodgers remastered BTWN just to have the vinyl edition or will unreleased songs come out of the album recordings too

17. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

8th of August so this saturday.

croquetlawns and Roxy6 like this.
  18. Roxy6

Roxy6 Forum Resident

Thanks!

Another remarkable day ...

19. Bandersson

Bandersson Slightly worn, but dignified

I just wish they'd come out and bloody tell us what's going on, why this has stopped, and if it means that it's the end of it.

This cloak and dagger stuff is getting ludicrous. Corporate Bowie are eager enough to chat at length about all their other products, and boy are there loads of them. Meanwhile, this is The Box Set Series That Must Not Be Mentioned. I remember a debate here on whether we're even entitled to a straight answer on this, and I'd maintain that yeah, we are, having invested quite a sum in the first four, reasonably expecting them to span his career. Not least as there's just no reason not to give one.

Anyway. I'm sure most here follow Bowie Official on some social media or other. Let's keep pushing for answers every time some new picture disc/wall calendar/keychain is launched, though it feels like punching smoke. If for nothing else, then to give a sign that the interest is still there.

Demiurge88, Hush, CBackley and 5 others like this.
  20. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

I think we will get a 90s box set, like many have said, the signs are in the cards. Probably a Sept announcement with a November release. No TM in the box, I think.

This would also mean we don't get a 1970 set. If they want to copyright protect anything in the vaults, there may be a very limited and very expensive vinyl release towards the end of the year. Those tracks could then be included in a 1970-71 set next year.

All speculation and just my 2 cents and all that of course.

Cat People, scenescof and gamuzajoe like this.
  21. Rant423

Rant423 Forum Resident

A discussion on the official FB might be a good place to start asking

Bandersson likes this.
  22. Bandersson

Indeed! Well done, my man. Here's hoping.

Colocally likes this.
  23. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

They won't answer. I started a similar conversation a week ago and even with more then 80 comments and more than one requesting an official statement: Zero response from anyone who knows more than we do

Rant423 and Bandersson like this.
  24. Bandersson

Seems to be the way, but still – as long as it signals that there are still people out there who want this, it may not be a complete waste of time in the end. I hope :p

croquetlawns likes this.
  25. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

As a non Facebooker, this isn't a place for content even for me; wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.