2021's David Bowie box set 5 (Speculation Thread)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Slave2chaos, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

I don't really remember this period as I was slightly too young for it totally sink (born in '81) but I was already a fan of Bowie after watching Labyrinth. At the same time I became engrossed in Tolkien too so it was a hugely influential time for me. By the time I was 13 I was completely hooked on the TM stuff. I must have driven my parents crazy with Tin Machine and Joy Division on constant repeat from 1992 onward.

2. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Now, Joy Division and the "Labyrinth" soundtrack...

3. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

In some ways it’s become more relevant.

Colocally, scobb and TonyCzar like this.
  4. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

It is on Youtube too, officially.

Cat People likes this.
  5. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

It was in post #765

6. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

This is Not a compilation. It's a friggin masterpiece. Very well sequenced and the transitions are so cool. I always liked this promo video. I remember when MTV first aired it. It's still fresh after all these years! Right wing dicks in their boiler suits, UNDER THE GOD!!!

footprintsinthesand and TonyCzar like this.
  7. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Is that just 13 minutes of highlights, or is that it?
    Nevermind, I see that is it. Sort of a Russell Mulcahy homage I guess.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  8. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

That's how it played on MTV in 1989. If there are unedited, full-length films of any of the songs, I don't think they've ever been leaked.

9. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

I'm one of those fans. I'd be way more excited by a Tin Machine box than anything else for that exact reason - no desire for a t-shirt though, save the fabric :)

Django216 likes this.
  10. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

I think we have to wait till September. If it was a Tin Machine only box, one would expect a release about...... now. They are clearly building up momentum for later this year.

11. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

Reeves Gabrels
    I think so too...

Its the same situation like last year. Articles were published in a couple of magazines about Let's Dance and Bowies 83 to 88 years, the official website started to post things about that time and then BOOM (not) a big surprise the box-set covered those years...

Now we have the first long article about Tin Machine, suddenly a Tin Machine Twitter Account and Reeves Gabrels is getting active (He actually told me personally on Facebook about the YT-Video of the Tin Machine Video).
    PLUS: Mister Gabrels was already involved in the last box-set.

12. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

And than there is the last line in the booklet of LTA: I've been putting out the fire with gasoline. Seems to connect more with Tin Machine than Black Tie White Noise

croquetlawns likes this.
  13. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

Yeah that gasoline-line also stuck in my head.

We can really assume that the next box-set will be containing Tin Machine-Stuff.
    But I still doubt a bit that it will be TM only. Atleast the Sound + Vision Tour will get an release since this was 1990 and the boxsets follow Bowies career strictly chronological. This will also push some TM-Haters but Bowie-Lovers to purchase the Box (If they make the album exclusive, which will probably happen again for the Vinyl-Version)

So we have

Tin Machine 1 - 100% Safe but will they make this a two LP Album for the Vinyl Version to put the CD exclusive tracks on it?
    Sound + Vision - I am pretty sure about that
    Tin Machine 2 - More or less safe, if Reeve Gabrels is already involved, the rest of Tin Machine will probably have nothing against this.
    Oy Vey baby - Same as above...

So more Tin machine Stuff? Maybe the follow up Live album Use Your Wallet that never happened? Or Tin Machine at the The Docks, Hamburg? That one was released officially on video and they could easily make this a live-album.
    Also Reeve Gabrels mentioned some unreleased songs he wants to put out but has been told to wait until the right time, which would be about now...

There are also a couple of Live B-Sides (Maggies Farm, Country Bus stop and more) from the first album which will make ReCall 5 almost a live album itself - Plus the full version of Hammerhead, the Indonesian Amlapura and shorter versions of Prisoner of Love and Heaven's In Here. The only thing left is the 12 minute Band Interview, which I don't think they will include.

Soooo what else? One of the very few constant rules in the series of boxsets is the Remix-Album... But what can you actually remix? Tin Machine 1 was more or less performed live in the studio. So there is not much mixing you can do... Tin Machine 2 would make a bit more sense but still: Not that much you can do and it's kind of unnecessary...

So are they doing a "reversed Never Let Me Down 2018" and try to add more production to one of the albums to make it "more Bowie?"(Please NO)

Last but not least: There is still a chance that they put more Bowie Albums into the next box...

Cat People, scobb and croquetlawns like this.
  14. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

This can also be the box that includes the Ryko bonus material.... or All Saints

Django216 likes this.
  15. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Now that would be interesting... It might finally make my Ryko's redundant!

16. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

They are now contemporary releases so should really be included! Not sure it will happen?

17. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

It would make the box more exciting and connect with the Sound and Vision tour

18. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

GOOD Point! Put this exclusively in the Box and even the most dedicated Tin Machine Haters will buy it!

Markyp likes this.
  19. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Something like:
    Tin Machine 1 cd
    Sound and Vision live 2 cd
    Tin Machine II 1 cd
    Oy Vey Baby 1 cd
    BTWN 1 cd
    Buhdda 1 cd
    All Saints (original) 2 cd
    Dance 2 1 or 2 cd
    ReCall 5 (incl Ryko left overs) 2 cd

Curveboy, Dbstay and croquetlawns like this.
  20. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

I am not so sure about All Saints in its complete form. I think it is more likely that they will put the exclusive Tracks (Some Are, All Saints, Abdulmajid) on ReCAll 5 or make this a RSD Release.

Otherwise we would get some of the exact same songs twice in the box.

21. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

True, but it won't be the first time they did that. How about the two versions of David Live in the second box. But otherwise it would be an excellent RSD item

22. footprintsinthesand

Why do people keep saying that in this thread? The entire box set campaign is focused on getting previously released albums (studio & live) and single edits back on the shelves. Apart from some box bait cheating.
    Was there ever an audio, video or promo release of the Sound And Vision tour ? IIRC not, so it'll have to wait till RSD or later.

23. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

And what about serious moonlight? Wasn't this a first official CD release?

24. footprintsinthesand

So far previously released vhs/dvd was released as live audio. Not shows that weren't previously released in any format.

25. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

It won't.

Aside from the fact that it would break the precedent set by previous boxes (collecting period recordings that were also released within the period of recording - not released between a decade or two after the fact) but with so much in the way of CD single tracks to collect on the ReCall discs going forward, there's just no space available to included any Ryko stuff - unless they bump off a whole bunch of stuff that actually belongs on the next box in order to include the anachronistic Ryko stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.