2021's David Bowie box set 5 (Speculation Thread)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Slave2chaos, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Would "The Next Day Extra" be part of Re:Call 7 or would it be its own CD?

2. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Yeah of course it wasnt a band, it was just another couple of Bowie solo albums. Just like all the many other Bowie solo albums that have a couple songs written and sung by the drummer....oh, wait...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  3. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

If there are four boxes left, then that actually makes it fairly clear how they'll proceed, as there are also four phases of Bowie’s career left:

Box 5: Tin Machine to Black Tie White Noise

Box 6: Buddha of Suburbia to Earthling

Box 7: Hours... to Reality

Box 8: The Next Day to Blackstar

Disco Biscuits likes this.
  4. Slave2chaos

Slave2chaos Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I don’t think TND & Blackstar, even with additional content from the 2010’s, can fill an entire box set.

5. Disco Biscuits

Disco Biscuits Well-Known Member

I concur that they would have to pad that last box. So either include previously unknown sessions from the 2005-2015 period, or come full circle and include the early 60s material up to Space Oddity. Since Nothing Has Changed includes one song each from the pre-Space Oddity years, perhaps that was an Easter egg of intent. Bowie definitely has taken a renewed interest in that period of his career from 1999 onwards (VH1 Storytellers, Toy album, Nothing Has Changed)

6. Slave2chaos

It’s not impossible, but it’s more likely a final collection will include Reality and DB’s final tour from the Reality era.

Because of this, I’m thinking there will be three more sets instead of four.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Christian Hernandez likes this.
  7. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Bowie/his estate does not own/control any of those early recordings. If they did there likely would have already been a box set in this series taking in all of that pre-Space Oddity stuff. Licensing a song or two each from several different record companies to include on a career spanning compilation, is hardly comparable to licensing EVERYTHING he released pre-Space Oddity that appeared on several different labels. The accumulative licensing costs would most likely be far too high (especially relative to the likely profit potential of such an 'Complete Early Years' box), and good luck even getting every label/rights holder on board to license ALL of their Bowie holdings for release by a different record label.

8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Surely it will include the Tin Machine BBC Sessions EP and Goodbye Mr. Ed 2 disc live in Japan '92.

There are probably lots of TH radio broadcasts for an expanded Oy Vey Baby.

9. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Perhaps not, just saying that’s how the different phases of his career break down past the current set.

Another alternative is box four was included in the statement that four sets were left, so there are just three sets left: one covering late ‘80s into ‘90s (Tin Machine, Tin Machine II, Oy Vey Baby, Black Tie White Noise), another finishing up the ‘90s (Buddha of Suburbia, 1. Outside, Earthling, Hours...) and then the ‘00s (Heathen, Reality, The Next Day, Blackstar). All of those would be easy 13-15 LP sets, even if they’re not the cleanest breaks between Bowie “eras.”

Christian Hernandez likes this.
  10. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

Yes, along with the original "Sue" and "'Tis A Pity..." and the three "No Plan" EP tunes, along with the Heathen and Reality b-sides/bonus tracks

Christian Hernandez and Haristar like this.
  11. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

Sadly Tin Machine will be released as a David Bowie set and not as a separate entity. It's easier for Joe public to identify and view these releases as worthy this way. I personally think that they are great albums but also recall lots of people not getting it. The first Tin Machine album was in the used stores bin under David Bowie 2 days after being released. I know because that's how I got mine.
    I don't care how they represent Tin Machine as long as they don't ignore it. I said sadly because it's a cool diversion for David that should be hilighted but will nat be.

12. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

sure, but enjoying something doesn't put it on par with an artist's best work. i enjoy most of NLMD, but i wouldn't consider it comparable to Bowie's best. far, far from it.
    but the main reason for my post was to wind up someone else, and as predicted it worked :)

[​IMG]

yarbles, e.s. and scobb like this.
  13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

-TND
    -TND bonus tracks/remixes
    -Lazarus OST
    -No Plan + 2 RSD tracks
    -Blackstar
    -unheard Blackstar tracks
    -final 5 demos
    -Blackstar re-recorded with NLMD studio band and Woody Woodmansy

olsen likes this.
  14. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Not anymore you won’t.

mishima's dog likes this.
  15. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

?

16. Rant423

Rant423 Forum Resident

This would be my dream plan, but sadly TND and Blackstar are not from Parlophone, so it's unlikely.
    And also would be too slim. Stretching things out:
    The Next Day (1CD)
    The Next Day Extra EP (1CD - leaving out the two mixes)
    Blackstar (1CD)
    No Plan (1CD)
    Re:Call 8 (the two TNDE mixes, single versions, 1CD)

So 5 CDs top I guess. WAY too thin.

17. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Will they keep the padding white or go for a bold colour?

18. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

:tiphat:

karmaman likes this.
  19. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

I would put the remaining sets together like this.

2019 Tin Machine (1989-1992) with a RSD entry for S&V
    TM, TMII, Oy Vey, various singles, edits, live. I could put together anything from 5 to 12 LP's so I won't guess at content.

2020 Strangers When We Meet (1993-2000)
    BTWN, Buddha, Outside, Leon Suites, Earthling, Hours, a live show from Outside and the 2000 BBC radio theater show and the ReCall

and somewhere Toy needs to fit in. I think a RSD would work better for that. Call it the 2001 box.

2021 Where are We Now (2002-★★★★)
    Heathen, Reality, TND, Blackstar, A Reality Tour, Heathen show, America EP*, ReCall.

*The America EP would be America and Heroes performed at the Concert for New York from 20th October 2001.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Disco Biscuits and johnnyyen like this.
  20. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Leave off the double songs and add BBC sessions and Toy and you have a great box. And we call it "over the wall we go"

gojikranz likes this.
  21. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Nitpicking here, but it annoys me when people use the "00s" as a catch all term for the 21st century decades. There's the '00s, which is 2000 - 2009, and the '10s, which is 2010 - 2019.

Colocally likes this.
  22. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

The next box is the hardest to predict, because we have no idea whether Tin Machine will be included or not. I agree with others when they say Tin Machine should have a separate box, and keep the current boxes as David Bowie only. Therefore, I’d like them to proceed with Black Tie White Noise up to hours.... preferably. I know it’s five albums, but I doubt whether a remix will be included, or is even necessary. Live albums would be covered by Outside and Earthling shows (the Lorelei gig has to get a release, it’s amazing). There is the possibility of a Sound And Vision live album, but it would be better served as an RSD release, although I wonder if another live hits album is necessary, since it’s mostly covered by Serious Moonlight and Glass Spider. And as for the last box, it could include Heathen, Reality, The Next Day, and Blackstar, with the Toy album getting an official release for the first time. I’d expect A Reality Tour to be included as the sole live album, with a Heathen show (the Heathen/Low gig please) as an RSD release. I’m not sure what condition the last five demos he recorded are in, but I believe there are still unreleased tracks from Blackstar. I know the boxes have steered clear of unreleased stuff, but an exception could be made in Blackstar’s case, and would be an ideal way to round up his career.

karmaman, Disco Biscuits and e.s. like this.
  23. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Putting aside our disagreement about Tin Machine (it should be in with the other Bowie releases, imo), I question whether RSD will be Sound and Vision. I think I'm correct in saying, the last two RSD have seen the release of Bowie live albums - the first time was another date from the David Live tour, and the second was another date from the Stage tour.

Assuming there's a pattern there, I'd assume the next RSD live album will be either another Serious Moonlight gig, or a Glass Spider.

johnnyyen and Disco Biscuits like this.
  24. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

On some GS shows he played an incredible amount of NLMD tracks, so with a bit of luck one can be found to compile a complete NLMD album of live versions. And that makes four.

Disco Biscuits and Vaughan like this.
  25. Slave2chaos

Perhaps it’s wishful thinking, but considering how much I love Bowie from the 90’s, 00’s, and 10’s, and considering how much material was produced for these decades, I would plan the future collections like this:

1989-1993
    Tin Machine 1xLP
    Sound+Vision tour 2-3xLP
    Tin Machine II 1xLP
    Oh, Baby 1xLP
    Black Tie White Noise 2xLP
    BTWN Extra 2-3xLP
    Buddha of Suburbia 1xLP
    Re:Call 5 2xLP

1995-1997
    Outside 2xLP
    Outside Outtakes w/Eno 1-2xLP