2021's David Bowie box set 5 (Speculation Thread)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Slave2chaos, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

If anything, they would duplicate Outside with either the "Excerpts from" disc, or longer unedited jam sessions in album sequence (something that Eno has hinted they wanted to do in that open letter posted just after Bowie's death). BTWN isn't substantially different in form, except for the two missing instrumentals, on the truncated vinyl

They could keep the existing Parlophone 12-track CD in its place for the digital version of the box, and just drop those two instrumentals from the digital 'BTWN bonuses' disc so the content remains the same across formats

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Disco Biscuits likes this.
  2. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Tin Machine Box:

The 3 albums:

Tin Machine
    Tin Machine II
    Tin Machine Live: Oy Vey, Baby

Extras:

Studio 1988-1991
    Scott Muni Interview
    Heaven's In Here [Edit]
    Prisoner Of Love [Edit]
    Baby Universal [Single Version]
    Baby Universal [Extended Version]
    One Shot [Edit]
    You Belong In Rock 'N Roll [Edit]
    You Belong In Rock 'N Roll [Extended Version]
    Amlapura [Indonesian Version]
    Betty Wrong [OST Version]
    Hammerhead
    Needles On The Beach

Live 1989-1992
    (Country) Bus Stop [Live Paris '89]
    Maggie's Farm [Live Paris '89]
    I Can't Read [Live Paris '89]
    Baby Can Dance [Live Paris '89]
    Crack City [Live Newport '89]
    Shakin' All Over [Live Paris '89]
    A Big Hurt [BBC Session]
    Baby Universal [BBC Session]
    Stateside [BBC Session]
    If There Is Something [BBC Session]
    Heaven's In Here [BBC Session]
    Baby Can Dance [Live Hamburg '91]
    Go Now [Live Japan '92]

Demos
    It's Tough, But It's Okay
    Exodus [?]
    Blues Tunes [?]
    Untitled Instrumental

DVD

Tin Machine Live: Oy Vey, Baby [Live Hamburg '91] DVD
    Tin Machine Medley Promo Film [1989]

+
    Promo videos for the various singles

Then there's the other demos, known and unknown. Dozens of TV appearances and other professionally recorded live shows...

Maurice, Kiss73, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  3. Slave2chaos

Slave2chaos Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I would buy this.
    It will be a good idea to do a comprehensive Tin Machine collection now to accompany this series of box sets. In the future, no doubt, various Bowie albums will be revisited, but now is the time to do Tin Machine, and do it right while there is so much interest ($$$) in Bowie’s back catalogue.

4. NightGoatToCairo

I already have it all but would still buy it :hide:

aphexj likes this.
  5. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Throw in the complete Paradiso Amsterdam '89 show (as seen in part on Japanese tv), uncensored artwork and extra artwork from Edward Bell and I'm in.

6. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Why are you assuming that Parlophone commissioned the re-recording of NLMD? Wouldn't that have been Bowie's/the estate's call? Even if Parlophone advanced them the money to have it done, Parlophone would have certainly deducted that cost from Bowie's royalties. I'd imagine the estate probably paid those costs themselves, rather that taking (what would essentially be) a loan from the record company to do it, since that would mean little to no record company interference/demands on the final outcome.

Plus why would a licensing record company want to invest extra money into a product they will not own?

aphexj likes this.
  7. NightGoatToCairo

Que?

8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

9. NightGoatToCairo

10. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Hours is when I was back on board, I would lump it in with Heathen and Reality.
    I am a fan since Ziggy but I balked at the drum'n'bass, jungle, Mohican era.
    I have always believed that Bowie spent the 90's trying to undo the damage he did to his career in the 80's. But he was trying way to hard to be hip/radical.
    Hours felt like a proper Bowie record and we hadn't had one of them for a while...

Cat People and e.s. like this.
  11. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

12. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I've got sucked into thinking about how this could be arranged. I like the idea of keeping Tin Machine as its own thing, but I find it very hard to make subsequent boxes add up if you do that (either too much or too little content, or making divisions that seem instinctively wrong, like separating Outside from Earthling). The other main argument against that would be that it creates a break in the continuity of the main box sets (even though there wasn't one in Bowie's actual career).

This division makes sense to me:

1989 - 1992

STUDIO:
    Tin Machine
    Tin Machine II
    Black Tie, White Noise

LIVE:
    Sound + Vision Tour Live
    Oy Vey Baby

BONUS:
    Black Tie, White Noise Remixes Selection - Maybe this can be programmed as an alternative album, since I can't think of another obvious contender among this bunch
    Re:Call

1993-1999

STUDIO
    The Buddha of Suburbia - Maybe this could go into the previous set to up the 'Bowie album ratio', but I think it fits better here
    Outside
    Earthling
    Hours

LIVE:
    Outside Tour
    VH1 Storytellers

BONUS:
    Leon Suites unreleased album
    Outside / Earthling Remixes Selection
    Hours Alternate Mix?
    Re: Call

2000-2016

STUDIO:
    Heathen
    Reality
    The Next Day
    Blackstar

LIVE:
    A Reality Tour
    Heathen Live Album (Do tapes exist from a Low Live / Heathen Live show?)

BONUS:
    Toy - unreleased album
    Re: Call

I understand the licensing arguments for not including the last two albums, but this is a career-spanning project, and those were his best-received albums in decades, so I'm sure the Bowie industry will strive to make it happen. (And by sticking them in the last box, you get a chronological continuity that glosses over his quiet years) If not, bump Hours to the last box set and add more padding. Then maybe the last two albums could form a micro-set of their own:

The Next Day
    The Next Day bonus disc - the special edition bonus disc + Love Is Lost (Hello Steve Reich Mix - Edit)
    Blackstar
    Blackstar bonus disc - No Plan EP + the three tracks from the Sue 10" + the radio edits of Lazarus and I Can't Give Everything Away (which makes for an album-length disc)

and if we're lucky maybe there are demos and outtakes for both albums as well

13. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

There's actually enough strong material already on release to fill this out, even with no additional contribution/curation from Rodgers & Eno (who are both very busy men). The existing Black Tie White Noise Extras CD, with the addition of two non-vinyl instrumental tracks on side one, neatly fills a double LP. Re:Call 5, in this case, would only squeeze into two vinyl discs if the putative 2. Inside consisted of existing edits/B-sides from Outside singles and soundtrack appearances

I also like the idea of the fourth side of VH1 Storytellers being given over to additional live material from the period, like the Outside tour versions of "Man Who Sold the World" and "Moonage Daydream" and/or the TAO Jones Index... maybe more suited to an expanded liveandwell.com

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  14. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

There's a Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross aka NIN remix of I Can't Give Everything Away (known as Farewell Mix), and it could be included on the recall disc of the final box set.

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Getting there - but I want the complete show from Japan in there. I think it was released on VHS in Japan, you can find it on YT.

16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Nice box but I could do without "Oy Vey", it's really weak. Especially compared to other Tin Machine live recordings. If they can delete one track from "Never Let Me Down" surely they can delete a substandard live album altogether? :angel:

Or does anyone here actually like it? Confess!

17. Slave2chaos

Slave2chaos Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Fingers crossed for this mix to make it on a future release.
    I can’t find an official, non-YouTube version of this track anywhere.

18. sore_and_crucified

sore_and_crucified Forum Resident

I’m only assuming because Iman is a fashion model/icon. Not a music producer or music industry leader.

Okay, I agree Bowie mapped out these sets and possibly pre approved the re-recording to NLMD, but I’m stating that Parlophone pulled everything together. I don’t know the full details of the deal (and couldn’t find anything online).

This has definitely been a collaborative effort though and I wonder if Sony would have pulled this much together.

Christian Hernandez likes this.
  19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I love Tin Machine, they're unfairly brushed aside. But Oh Vey is..... really really bad. It pains me to say it. I have no idea what they were thinking with that one. The sound is poor, the concert is hacked to pieces. It's just diabolical.

Neonbeam likes this.
  20. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

One of the Coquettes backing singers (on NLMD) actually has quite a bit of experience in matters such as these.

21. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I'm liking the original posters set but think there will be more live tin machine:

tin machine 2lp (or 1lp if they put Sacrifice Yourself and Run onto Recall 5)
    Sound + Vision Live (2/3lp)
    tin machine ii
    tin machine Live: oy vey baby
    tin machine Live: use your wallet (or maybe a 2lp set of the live in Hamburg docks VHS/Laserdisc instead of both these live discs)
    Black Tie White Noise 2lp (or 1lp if the put The Wedding and and Looking For Lester on Recall 5)
    Black Tie White Noise extra 2lp
    Buddha of Suburbia
    Racall: 5 2/3lp

So Sound + Vision and use your wallet would be new and exclusive releases to this set and Black Tie White Noise extra will be exclusive (maybe Sound + Vision will get an official release?). This should easily fit on 13/14 lps and leave room for a live RSD tin machine live show... Hamburg docks or Chicago if it's the second tour/Paris or Bradford would be good for the first tour. Thinking about it though, Sound + Vision would be a much better RSD release than anything tin machine so maybe a 2lp tin machine live show from the first tour in the box instead of Sound + Vision?

Christian Hernandez likes this.
  22. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

It was shortly available for download in 320kbps mp3 right after NIN performed it live for the first time, confirming that they were the ones who did the remix.
    The 'official' download link was removed after a week or so.

23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Yet it still has one of my very favorite Bowie performances...on Amazing.

24. NightGoatToCairo

Corrected in red

25. NightGoatToCairo

I like most of the album but not so much the video version.

Neonbeam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.