2021's David Bowie box set 5 (Speculation Thread)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Slave2chaos, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

The announce to release date window really closed the past couple years. Seems like they used to primp us for months, and now it's down to 4 weeks. I prefer less waiting, but it's tough for Bowie.

2. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Exactly. What is gained by secrecy?

3. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

If you're Beyoncé, the announce to release window is 0 days.

bob60, tatesmithee, Jmac1979 and 2 others like this.
  4. aladinmaine

aladinmaine Active Member

storytellers should have been included in the box set with hours. later released as a break out title.
    what is parlophone doing? buying this now and then including it again in the boxset? this is not making any sense...
    unless the boxsets have been cancelled and they release all the remaining titles in the program as standalones.
    in that case they would owe bowiephiles an explanation as to why they promised career-spanning collectons,and then decided to abruptly forget that idea. i hope they come to their senses and finish the job as promised.

Chris Bernhardt and Markyp like this.
  5. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Michael D likes this.
  6. JustMyself13

JustMyself13 Well-Known Member

Here are a few possibilities that I can think of that would still allow a box set to occur:
    - Licensing issues with the VH1 brand itself that could have made it inefficient for profits to make it box-exclusive
    -The box set would have had too many LPs to stay at a reasonable price meaning that the less desirable non-studio releases will be stand-alones
    -Just rereleasing it in the box later on anyway

7. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

Cat People, ubiknik and TonyCzar like this.
  8. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

I don't think we can draw any conclusion about future boxes from the news of the VH1 release. As a release it is pretty standalone with its own feel and style. Keeping it as its own curiosity is spot on I feel.

Dreaddazzman and JustMyself13 like this.
  9. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

VH1 Storytellers is completely seperate from usual contents of the boxes so far. Also, customers would be upset if they bought it, only to have it released in the box, so I highly doubt it would be contained in one.

Colinjpush and Phillip Walch like this.
  10. Phillip Walch

Yep, David telling funny stories about toilets and outfits from bins is as far away from the core discography as possible. If there are more boxes then I am very happy that this release is kept separate, and I love this performance from him.

11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It wouldn't have worked too well as a box exclusive. The CD version has been out there for some time, after all. Yeah there are four extra tracks here (ridiculous given the CD is what, 45 minutes or so long). To be a box exclusive surely they'd want something that was exclusive across both formats?

TheSeldomSeenKid and Azorbz like this.
  12. ShayLaB

ShayLaB Forum Resident

For me this seems to mark the end of the boxes.

It's not that the VH1 set is being released but *when*.

It is a fortnight after the late Sept date normally allocated to the boxsets.

Unless the boxsets are being pushed back to Nov time for Xmas I don't see both happening.

13. Putrifiers II

Putrifiers II Forum Resident

Blimey, Thursday came round again quickly.

14. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I know. Where the @@@@ did Wednesday go?

15. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

A whisper of hope that seemed to fail ...

Doing our best with what we have.

Putrifiers II likes this.
  16. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I agree - as much as I'd enjoy hearing TM and/or the early 90s albums, I can't possibly see it being a big seller in the Xmas market.

17. whatprogress

whatprogress Cowbell Enthusiast

I actually wouldn't mind a Tin Machine Christmas Album.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  18. Phillip Walch

[​IMG]

JINGLE BALLS, JINGLE BALLS, JINGLE ALL THE WAY

19. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

I’m not worried about the proximity.
    The demos sets were all out in quick order.
    Something like April to July there was

Spying through a keyhole
    Clareville Grove
    Mercury demos
    Space oddity singles set
    They weren’t spreading them out that much and that’s for stuff that’s previously unreleased.

Storytellers has been out before but it would have sunk behind news of a big box set, so maybe in a week or two the box will be announced.

20. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Interesting. I doubt the Bowie Facebook mods would have the authorization to speak to the box set but surely do have the go ahead to discuss already released or announced product. I haven't paid close enough attention but who usually announces the boxes first, Bowie Inc or the label?

21. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

The last two box set announcements appeared on the David Bowie Website before the Social Sites /FB,Twitter,Insta)... well and then there is the fact that both appeared on iTunes first

Adam Bosman and blastfurniss like this.
  22. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

And another week is over :shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake:

23. Absolute pitty that "If I'm Dreaming My Life" -- practically the ONLY he ever performed this epic song live -- STILL won't have ever been released specifically on CD (I know it's on the VH1 DVD).

It's one of THE very best songs on all of Hours (an album I'm otherwise not all that excited about), and I would really love to have a good CD issue of it.

Curveboy likes this.
  24. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

What the...? o_O

Hearing stuff like this really pisses me off. I've been trying to find a NM copy of this album for a while now.

25. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

After the announcement of VH1 we couldn't really expect another one this week...

mestreech likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.