2020 News from the Estate of Kevin Gilbert (More Releases and Vinyl coming)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rosskolnikov, Jun 20, 2020.

1. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Sounds promising.

2. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

Yes, I brought this up on their official FB page that both the cover and disc say 2012 and asked the same question, and got a reply that they are definitely remastered and it was an oversight not to update the date on the cover and disc. There is a sticker on the box's shrinkwrap of the set that does say it's a 2020 remaster.

3. zen

zen Senior Member

I haven't heard the 2020 remaster myself, however, my brother complained about the mastering. By the end of the album, he mentioned his ears were tired. When he mentioned that...I know the mastering must be over-the-top. What do you think of the SQ/compression? Just curious.

4. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

I can't really say because I can't immediately locate the 2012 versions, as they — like the new ones — are in these cardboard single pocket sleeves with no title spine. So ... they're in one of about twenty boxes I have of non-alphabetized CDs, presumably down in between two jewelcases! However, the new versions sound good to me on my system, but everyone's tastes are different and you can always adjust the treble, bass and so on to your preferences. I'm not a tech-savvy soundwaves graph guy so can't help you there. Sorry!

5. Rosskolnikov

Rosskolnikov Designated Cloud Yeller Thread Starter

First pressing of the Giraffe box set has sold out. But . . .

ytserush and Juggsnelson like this.
  6. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Got mine and am digging it. Can't wait for the other releases!

7. Rosskolnikov

8. Rosskolnikov

Kevin Gilbert's "Thud" available again on vinyl although apparently for a pretty limited time:

Thud Vinyl Only

Juggsnelson likes this.
  9. Juggsnelson

Wow gone already!

10. Rosskolnikov

I knew they would go fast as they indicated it was something like 40 of them left. I posted so late last night just in case someone could take advantage. From PMs, it looks like 3-4 forum members were able to get one. I have on already from the earlier sales, and this an outstanding-sounding edition.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  11. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Awesome! I waited too long and missed out on the first pressing so I'm glad to get a another crack at this.

12. Rosskolnikov

And just today . . . another. "Call Me Kai" is a box set of pre-Giraffe but post-NRG recordings with music that pretty much straddles the two. Some is quite "prog" (Walking In My Shoes) and other a bit pop (many tunes). I like a lot of this material and figured this is a good spot to make people aware.

Kevin Gilbert - Call Me Kai

[​IMG]

13. Juggsnelson

Thanks for the heads up! I just placed my order!

bobloblaw likes this.
  14. magister345

magister345 Forum Resident

A must have! I just ordered.
    The shipping for me is more expensive than the product itself (which at $25.- is a steal anyway for 4 discs of material!)!

Rosskolnikov likes this.
  15. Helmuth

Helmuth Forum Resident

Yay!! ^ I also got killed again for the 1st class postage to UK, but I've been checking farcebook pretty much daily for Kai updates, so it's a must any price. This is the era I know about least as I never obtained a full collection of these outtakes.

"Dana-Rae" is just soooo good, in some parallel uiverse it could easily have been a Certifiable Number 1 pop Smash (IMO) and 80s catchiness abounds. Stan Cotey has claimed a big hand in its writing and arrangement.

There's also another video on youtube today filling information: previewing and running through the background of the songs recordings, worth a look / listen.

16. Rosskolnikov

danmartin73 likes this.
  17. Rosskolnikov

This picture is perhaps tailor-made for the SH Forums:

[​IMG]

ytserush, Juggsnelson and danmartin73 like this.
  18. Helmuth

Helmuth Forum Resident

My 'Kai' just came today. It took the same time frame to deliver to UK as the Giraffe set, 7 days first class.

Should be a great weekend, the sun is out, The who's Sell Out reissue dropping and 4 CDs worth of vintage KG brilliance to appreciate both this week and for many years to come.

PhR, Rosskolnikov, ytserush and 2 others like this.
  19. PhR

PhR Forum Resident

I just realized N.R.G. album is on Spotify. It's an extended version which had also gone unnoticed by me (I have the 2012 cd). Interesting bonus tracks, some from the "Call Me Kai" set perhaps?

ytserush likes this.
  20. InHiding

InHiding Well-Known Member

I think Kevin is the most underrated musician I can name. It's really sad but I'm glad I've found him. He is one of my favourite musicians at the moment. Recently I've loved this track (guy was young as hell when NRG was written I think).

ytserush, Juggsnelson and PhR like this.
  21. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

He was one hell of a talent. Still very much missed.

Instant Dharma and sentinel90125 like this.
  22. Rosskolnikov

Looks like some more previously-unheard outtakes coming in 2022 (check out this one!)

ytserush, PhR and bobloblaw like this.
  23. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Interesting scratch vocal. I'm glad he didn't pursue that version, though. Sounds like Go West. The sad part is one day the well will be totally dry.

I'd love to see a 5.1 Shaming instead of what, the 4th or 5th mastering of the stereo? I know it's an expensive and labor-intensive project, but I can just imagine how some of those tracks might be mixed.

Dan

ytserush and bobloblaw like this.
  24. Rosskolnikov

Vinyl is coming this year. Like a lot of vinyl projects, it was delayed last year, but it's well along the way.

25. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

That's good. I'm not as excited about that as I was the THUD vinyl. Toy Matinee might be nice, but who owns the rights to that one? The 2001 issue was Rounder, I think.

Dan

bobloblaw likes this.