2020 Yamaha Integrated Amps A-S1200/2200/3200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Deadly_Icy_Calm, Mar 27, 2020.

1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I'm actually thinking of going integrated

2. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

My first integrated was an HH Scott 222c which I bought in 1990 at a church bazaar for a dollar. I wandered in there at the end of a Saterday and walked by a lady who was putting $1 stickers on everything and there was the amp in a walnut case. I didn't think to much of it because it had tubes but I bought it anyway considering the price. For my saving grace I immediately took it to the local Hi fi shop (The Music Box) to have them check it out. The tech who received it plugged and the red pilot light lit up which was a good sign. Needless to say I left it there a week only to find out after inquiring about it that it was in perfect working order. I used that amp of and on for the next 20 years and I've had at least one integrated to listen too ever since.

siebrand likes this.
  3. John Murray

John Murray Forum Resident

I just pulled the trigger on the 1200. Purchased it through Amazon as it was almost 500.00 off the retail price. Can't wait to hear it after reading all your reviews on the other models. Wanted the 3000 but it was way above my price point. Will keep you posted on my thoughts once it arrives. I'm giving my Sansui AU 9500 a break. Curious how a modern amp will sound to my ears.

Shawn, jwoverho, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  4. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

I've emailed the Yamaha customer service inquiring about the MM phono stage capacitance of A-S1200. Their answer:

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
    For MM, capacitance would be 320pF.

Sincerely yours,
    Yamaha Corporation
    Customer Support Team

Too bad, as I was thinking of using it with VM540ML.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. didnelps

didnelps Well-Known Member

I had my a-s2200 for a month, very happy. Solid quality. Paired with Harbeth SHL5+ 40th and RME ADI-2 FS dac.
    I finally reached my end game, after 20 years of different systems. The sound is clean, very balanced and a bit organic. Can play everything I throw at it in a nice way.
    Everything is so nice controlled by the amp, the punch, clean bass and no harshness. The soundstage is wide and detailed. Cant`t stop listning.

6. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Didnelps

Your system is an outstanding example of spending wisely on long term sound and build quality rather than the “latest and greatest”. Enjoy

7. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

The Harbeth SHL5+ is on my long-term wish list to pair with my Yamaha. Do you find that you need a subwoofer to pair with those speakers when using the Yamaha?

8. didnelps

Thanks for the nice reply. It is a jungle out there when it comes to hi-fi. Did a lot of research and reviews, tested several amps, speakers, etc.

9. CortoL

CortoL Well-Known Member

Let's see if Yamaha will update also their CD/SACD line. Any rumours?

RiRiIII likes this.
  10. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Was there any reason you went for the 2200 rather than the 3200? I ask as I always think a good rule of thumb is about the same money on Source/Amplification/Speakers (promise I'm not trying to open a can of worms here).

lonelysea likes this.
  11. didnelps

Everything is relative, but for my personal taste I dont need a subwoofer. Sonically the SHL5+ 40th`s can deliver deep and clean bass when needed, it depends on the track you listen too.
    And off course placement of the speakers is another factor. But overall the warmth is there and I am not missing anything.

OC Zed and scobb like this.
  12. didnelps

Between a-s1200, a-s2200 and a-s3200, I found the a-s2200 to be the sweet-spot, because of the features (better headphone amp and xlr inputs, when comparing to a-s1200). I didnt find the sound improvement and other small factors like 10 watt more output and larger vu-meter on a-s3200 worth the price difference.

Regarding you rule of thumb, in my case, the speakers are around double the price of the amp. The dac+transporter wich combine my source is half of the price of the amp.
    But I will add a record player and cd player in future.

13. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I don't know the differences and haven't heard the amps but did you listen to each of them? I'm not really sure of the differences and I'm not sure it's even known if the 3200 and 2200 share the same phono stage etc.?

I totally agree with your subwoofer comment!

14. didnelps

I had the a-s1200 in my house and I can hear some more openness and wider soundstage on a-s2200. A-s3200 I have only heard trough youtube videos, not in real life.

I guess they share the same phone stage.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    scobb likes this.
  15. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Just because of my rule of thumb I think I would have wanted to try the 3200 as I think your speakers would have revealed what benefits the 3200 would bring over the 2200 but as long as you are happy, I’m happy too!

16. didnelps

Most probably I will have small improvement, but the question is if it is worth the price. It can also turn around, perhaps it will brighter and then I would be not so fully happy anymore.
    The thing is, there is no ultimate rule in Hi-Fi, everything is relative, thats why we are all audiophiles :)

17. John Murray

Got my a s1200 today and am impressed. I wasn't sure what to expect as I've gotten so used to my vintage Sansui 9500. Only an hour in but female vocals really stand out. More detail than the Sansui. I've got them hooked up to Wharfdale Linton Heritage speakers. Will hook up the phono and cd later to see how those will sound with the amp.

18. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Glad you are enjoying it. Many people will tell you otherwise, but almost anyone who has owned one of the Yamaha higher end AS series of amps will tell you that it breaks in and sounds better over the course of about 50 - 100 hours or so and it does. Glad you are enjoying it straight out of the box, as they do sound wonderful right off that back. Im speaking from the perspective of an A-S1100.

John Murray and George P like this.
  19. John Murray

I'm streaming from the BlueSound Node 2i to break the amp in a bit. I imagine it'll sound better and better as you mentioned.

20. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

I sold my Sansui AU-9900 a couple of weeks after I got my Yamaha A-S1100. Never regretted it.

21. George P

George P Notable Member

My A-S801 needed at least 100 hours to burn in.

John Murray likes this.
  22. John Murray

I’ll never get rid of my Sansui. It’s become part of the family by now. I've got some Klipsch Quartet's sitting in the basement that would probably pair well with the 9500.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  23. qqbbbpp

qqbbbpp Member

I got the A-S1200. Does anybody observe that sound quality and sound stage gets better after 30 minutes of playback from power on?

24. didnelps

It is normal for the amps in this series to warm up to sound right.

Ivand, George P and qqbbbpp like this.
  25. didnelps

I would recommend to test some other dac/streamer, Node 2i colours the sound to much for my taste and soundstage sound a bit narrow, even with external dac.

Otherwise the Yamaha will settle a bit after 100 hours or so.

John Murray likes this.