2020 Yamaha Integrated Amps A-S1200/2200/3200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Deadly_Icy_Calm, Mar 27, 2020.

1. didnelps

didnelps Well-Known Member

How do the Lintons sound with the Yamaha?

2. sailingsinkingships

sailingsinkingships Forum Resident

I also find this to be the case. When I power it on and play that first record it seems a little underwhelming. This happened last night when I played the T.rex Electric Warrior Rhino Rocktober reissue from a few years ago. It sounded a little muffled at first with no dimension and narrow soundstage. Then by the end of side 2 the sound had started to bloom and the soundstage expanded. I am not sure if it still needs breaking in or this is going to be the case going forward.

Rick58 likes this.
  3. John Murray

John Murray Forum Resident

They drive the Linton's with ease. I don't have much to compare it to, I'm coming from the Sansui 9500. So far the Yamaha is faster, precise and has a more 3 dimensional in your room feel. Instruments and vocals really shine with the the combination. There is still magic in those older Sansui models as it also sounded very good with the Linton's

4. qqbbbpp

qqbbbpp Member

I think this is going to be always the case. It always happens on my unit every power on. I think it really needs a 30 - 40 minutes warm up every start of playback after power on. So I guess, I am not going to be paranoid now if my unit is faulty. :)

Razakoz and sailingsinkingships like this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, that is one reason why I leave my amp on 24/7.

Vibrolux_Reverb likes this.
  6. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Same. I turn my amp off when I am going to be gone for a couple days or more, but that is the only time it shuts off.

George P likes this.
  7. John Murray

Does anyone here stack on top of their Yamaha amps? I plan on getting the Yamaha CD 2100 to match with the A S-1200. I'm playing a Marantz CD 6006 with it and it sounds very good. Had a gold Hoffman cd McCartney disc spinning. I'm assuming you'd place most of your equipment on the bottom to let the amps breathe. Mine got a little warm from stacking the Marantz this morning.

8. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

If possible, definitely avoid stacking on top of any amp - especially one with vents on top.

Even with class D, best to give some extra clearance - some wooden risers aren't perfect but better than nothing.

John Murray and Big Blue like this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member

Never.

ASIMO7, Eigenvector and John Murray like this.
  10. John Murray

Thanks for the feedback! I’ve seen images online with them stacked but I’m sure it’s solely for photo ops. I’ve stacked my Sansui 9500 with its matching tuner and the thing never even got warm half the time

11. George P

George P Notable Member

No problem, John. I keep a foot or so of empty space above my A-S801:

[​IMG]

12. John Murray

Thanks George! What do you think of your Denon SACD player? I was looking at that one. Now that I don't have to stack the Yamaha I can easily find a SACD player that doesn't have to have the exact dimensions.

13. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

My advice would be to flip the record over and play it again!
    In fact, pulling it now!! :shtiphat:

sailingsinkingships likes this.
  14. George P

George P Notable Member

My first unit had some problems, but its replacement is going strong. My biggest complaint is that it skips or doesn't play some of my CDs that play perfectly fine on my Yamaha CD-S300. But that is only on maybe 10 CDs or so. I wrote a review with a lot more info on amazon that you might find useful: Denon DCD-1600NE SACD player - Built Like a Tank, Sounds Like a Dream

Markovich and John Murray like this.
  15. John Murray

Thanks George! I was actually reading your review not knowing it was you of course a couple of days ago. This may be the route I'll take as the Yamaha is 1000.00 more I believe. I play records a lot more and started getting into Hyrbird SACD's, DCC gold discs. I can only imagine the pairing with the new Yamaha with a SACD player. I liked what I heard with the Marantz CD 6006

George P likes this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member

The Yamaha is too deep for my shelf plus I have read on the forum that that unit can be unreliable and to me reliability is essential when considering a purchase.

John Murray likes this.
  17. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Is that the clever little clock from Machina Dynamica?:D

18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

That's a complete no no as the amp needs a clear space above for cooling. I would suggest several inches all round in fact. You probably could stack the amp on the CD player though weight and possible case damage is an issue. I really suggest avoid stacking equipment in any circumstance as it will likely affect performance.

Shawn and John Murray like this.
  19. ASIMO7

ASIMO7 Well-Known Member

This is very true. I have an a-s1100 and have it paired with Polk Audio Signature S60’s and it sounds great. Not trashing Polk or the S60, they’re good speakers for the price. That’s my point though, they were a fraction of the cost of the Yamaha.

Vibrolux_Reverb likes this.
  20. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Yup. I matched my A-S1100 (MSRP $2499) with Ascend Sierra 2EX Speakers at $1750. Almost everything I read on the internet says that the speakers should cost the most, but I am starting to really lean on the source first aspect, with perhaps the cartridge being the most important if you have decent everything else. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't hear the price difference in speakers like I do in Cartridges and Amps.

Classicrock and Morbius like this.
  21. Markovich

Markovich New Member

Interesting...I am considering the Azur 851A integrated amp but am also tempted by the new A-S1200 and could possibly stretch to the A-S2200, though I am struggling to understand if the sound quality (for the extra Euros 1000 or so) would be all that different from the A-S1200?
    May I ask how you found the Azur compared to the A-S1100 and A-S2100 in terms of overall sound and presentation?
    Thanks for any insights!

22. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Phono stage capacitance saga continues. I've emailed Yamaha support back asking for this value of 1100/2100/3000 line and got the answer it is 320 pF for MM too. While earlier in this thread someone posted their reply stating it was 100 pF.

LARGERTHAN likes this.
  23. Nossi

Nossi Well-Known Member

bluemooze likes this.
  24. meszrum

meszrum Forum Resident

Well, I may shed some light on the matter. I did have both A-S1100 and A-S2100 in my listening room for a few days, comparing them side by side with the same system. Even though I have been decided to go for 2100 (XLR connection to CD-S2100), I wanted to compare them side by side using RCA connectors.

There is significant difference between the two. Its significance depends on the speakers and room acoustics mainly, but the two Yamahas sound as they would be engeneered for various groups of listeners.

A-S1100 (in order you hear):
    - treble;
    - bass;
    - dynamics;
    - mids.
    Very open and bright. Flashy, dynamic and effective. You may feel that you are indeed at the Blackhawk in 1961 and Miles is just in front of you (maybe turning his back...). Crisp and brilliant. Incredibly detailed.
    It's great for serious listeners in their early 20s (I compare it to myself back in the days).
    Treble and bass may be ex aequo on other systems, but on BW 702 S2 treble were more pronounced by a small margin.

A-S2100 (in order you hear):
    - mids;
    - dynamics;
    - treble/bass.
    A-S2100 is just more mature. More restrained. Even more detailed than 1100, but the presentation of details is on par with the mids, everything is in its place. If the music screams for wild dynamics, then it is wild and screamy. If the music is meant to be subtle, then it is intimate and subtle. The highs are bright but silky, the bass is phenomenal. Deep in the way that can take away your breath. More detailed and better controlled than 1100.
    Great for listeners in their 40s (no, I did not try the 3000).

While 2100 can morph from gentle lover to wild beast in a moment, the 1100 stays similar in its character most of the time.
    The scene is wider on 1100 (treble), but on 2100 scene is deeper (mids and details presentation).
    2100 is more refined, it sounds like 1100 which aged with grace. Just like 1984 Nick Cave and 2020 Nick Cave.
    1100 plays the music with the band's edge (treble and bass), 2100 plays the music with the mids.

I have no idea whether it translates into 1200 / 2200 territory.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  25. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

If both the 1100 and 2100 has the same (flat) frequency response, how do you explain one of them being more «trebly» than the other?

ASIMO7 likes this.