2020 Yamaha Integrated Amps A-S1200/2200/3200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Deadly_Icy_Calm, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Same 470 pF. I asked Yamaha customer service.

patient_ot likes this.
  2. Helom

Helom Forum member

My comment was regarding the entire line-level preamp sections of the Yamahas, not the phono section alone.

That said, I've had good luck with the MM section using an M97xe/SAS and Soundsmith Carmen. Both sounded very balanced through the MM stage.
    I had less success with the MC section and my Hana SL.

I would bet that if you want to squeeze the most out of these phono sections, you'd opt for an MC cart into a step-up transformer into the MM input.

John Murray likes this.
  3. deadlax97

deadlax97 Forum Resident

Anyone know the distance between the feet on the 2200? I've got 14.5" to play with and not sure that's going to be enough. Weight is fine but depth is an issue.

4. earthling

earthling Active Member

My a-s1200 had an intermittent hum coming from the transformer and audible at night/low volumes also I sit very next to it.
    Humdinger eliminated the hum about 90% I can hear it so slightly only If I put my ear against the unit.

So far I am happy with it, doesn't get warm, seems like it does what it claims to do.
    I had to use adaptors (I live in AU) and our power supply is 230v. I recommend it.

[​IMG]

John Murray likes this.
  5. jcn3

jcn3 Forum Resident

Rmbottojr, meszrum and aunitedlemon like this.
  6. deadlax97

deadlax97 Forum Resident

Shawn, OC Zed and MikeJedi like this.
  7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Congrats! If the stand is rated for 80 lbs. (per shelf?) you should be fine as the A-S2200 weighs 50 lbs. Enjoy!

MikeJedi likes this.
  8. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Congrats and enjoy dude !! Let us know how you like it once you get it going :)

Bill Mac likes this.
  9. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I really believe the 2200 is the sweet spot of the lineup price wise etc. Hoping to see more published reviews soon :)

bluemooze likes this.
  10. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

How do you like it so far ? :)

11. deadlax97

deadlax97 Forum Resident

I like it. The speakers I have in there are SVS Prime Towers and I would say they are okay. I'm running my TT directly into it and I'm not wowed, but I don't have any desire to put my Puffin back into the chain right now.

I haven't noticed much of a change in sound yet and I've definitely got at least 50 hours of music if not closer to 100 on it. It's a very nice amplifier but I think I have upgradeitis now. Next purchase will be a Cambridge CXN v2 I believe.

Shawn and MikeJedi like this.
  12. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

FYI.. it’s a German online magazine but hey they review the 1200 and 2200 and also compare to some of the older models ! :)
    Vollverstärker Doppeltest: Yamaha A-S1200 und A-S2200 - LowBeats
    Use google translate .. good read :) they even have the Japanese development team with the review who they spoke with. This is awesome. How come we can’t do that in the American publications ? Lol. In all seriousness though this is one of the best comprehensive reviews I have seen of the 1200 and 2200. !!

I really wish The Absolute Sound would do a AS2200 review , that would be fun since Stereophile did a whacked out review of the 3200. It was one of the weirdest reviews I have ever read !

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    iceaero, Bill Mac and Ivand like this.
  13. iceaero

iceaero Forum Resident

That was a really good read.

Interesting that the author felt so certain of the 2200’s improvements—some represent them as being almost indistinguishable.

Personally, I’d always choose fully balanced—that alone has value.

MikeJedi likes this.
  14. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

the 2200 is definitely a step up over the already excellent 1200, more caps , wiring and of course fully balanced .. in fact the 2200 is indeed very close to the 3000/3200 level. I think the 2200 is the sweet spot in the range imo.

15. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

These Yamahas are very conservatively rated! They ran the Dynaudio Heritage speaker with no issues , sounding awesome ..

this is a really great article / review. Hope to see more :)

K Knight likes this.
  16. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I have a Hana SL with my AS2200 and it sounds great with my Amadeus SL. What problem did u have?

17. deadlax97

deadlax97 Forum Resident

I replaced my SVS Prime Towers with a pair of Soliloquy 5.0 bookshelfs I had in storage and they sound fantastic with the 2200.

18. K Knight

K Knight Forum Resident

I've had the a-s 2100 for just about two months now and I've got to admit, I love it. I find it's just subtle and glides gently over music. It never gets tiring or too much.

I picked it up for 1500 euros from a dealer. I had planned on getting a Roksan Caspian m2 for the same price but ended up siding with this because it apparently had a good phono stage from what I read. The Caspian doesn't have any (it's so good I sold my Rega phono pre-amp).

I love it.

I haven't used the headphone jack. So can't tell you what it is like. But apparently it is awesome.

My only two issues with it:

1. it's super sensitive and switches off a few times a day. I think it needs to warm up or something is triggering it to switch off at the begining of a session. Then it's fine.

2. The needles only bounce when when your playing music at a high enough volume level. Which makes it pointless a bit. Maybe it's my unit?

But overall, coming from a roksan kandy III it took me a while (probably about 6 weeks) to adapt and start really enjoying it. It's way more detailed and the details aren't warm or cold. I had the Roksan for 18 years so it took me a while to get used to this.

For what I got for 1500, I think it's an amazing deal and it's totally worth it. It glides over details without making it too pronounced or feeling details are missed. I don't think it's an amp to impress your buddies with (besides the needles and maybe telling a friend how ridiculous heavy it is). But for me, it's like having a mini grand piano in my living room and as though someone is playing it (not sure how else to explain it). It's polite, sharp and accurate but never over stated. Not warm and not cold. Just refined.

It's going to be here for many years for sure. I think if anyone can pick up the a-s 2100 rather than the latest a-s 2200 model, it's an awesome deal and it's a no brainer. There's hardly no difference from what I've read and you can spend the money you save on decent DAC then.

Sorry for any typos. - I really should stop using my phone.

siebrand, OC Zed and MikeJedi like this.
  19. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

The Yamaha will turn off automatically if left on for more than 8 hours straight. That might be your issue in your first point above.

MikeJedi likes this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

Can that be disabled?

21. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Have you tried switching the "auto power standby" switch to the "off" position?
    [​IMG]

Ivand, Bill Mac, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  22. K Knight

K Knight Forum Resident

Well it shouldn't be that. I'm saying it switches off after 4 mins of being on with music playing. I think it's either an electricity issue or it turns off when it's cold.

No because I didn't think it was this. In theory this should just switch off after the 8 hours of non usage (btw 8 hours is a really long time). I will give it a try this morning and see what happens.

The switching off happens about every 4 out 5 times I'd say. I have 4 plugs in the apartment and they all run off the same line /feed. When I had a fridge plugged in on one of them. The speaker would slightly make a pop sound when the fridge started cooling and humming. I've since got a new fridge and moved it off that plug, so that fixed the issue. I have that's why I think it's the electric lines.

Also I know this happens when I've switched the amp off by the power switch on the amp and then on. I'm not sure if it happens if I put the amp into standby mode through the remote and then switch it on.

23. K Knight

K Knight Forum Resident

Ok well that eliminates that one. - Switched off the Auto Power off. - After 3 songs it turned off again.

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Have you tried disconnecting everything (speakers and sources) from the A-S2100? Then power it back on (cold) and see if it shuts down. If using the XLR input did you try switching the position of the Attenuator switch? It's an odd issue as most times amps shut down if driven too hard due to heat not being cool.

25. K Knight

K Knight Forum Resident

Hi Bill,

Yeah it's not the XLR cable. - I've only just plugged the XLR cables in as I was waiting for the delivery of it. The issue has been way before that and the attenuation is switched to the right level right (the other setting cackles).

I tried this morning with the Amp in standby mode after last night. One song in, it cuts out. - Same as yesterday. Once switched back on, the issue is gone and it's all good.

- I've also removed all the cables at the beginning of this issue. - But I don't recall what the outcome was. I will try again this week and see what where that takes the issue. The other thing I will try this week is pull out an extension cord and plug it into a socket in the hallway, and see if it's that (that one socket runs a few things (with the TV and internet, but not all the amp components) so that might narrow it down too.