2020 Yamaha Integrated Amps A-S1200/2200/3200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Deadly_Icy_Calm, Mar 27, 2020.

1. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Excellent album, great choice.
    I'm finding incredible enjoyability in the emotion of brass instruments with the Yamaha at the helm. Such as the trumpet in this Snarky Puppy song, "Shofukan".
    Another recording that consistently impresses me is GoGo Penguin's album, "v2.0". Drums + piano + upright bass = fantastically wholesome sounds.
    "In Amber" is one of my favorite songs on that album.
    Happy listening. I found that my amp became more and more satisfying throughout the first couple of weeks as my ears attuned to it and it came into it's own.
    Audio is incredible.

Reesdog likes this.
  2. audiodefiled

audiodefiled Forum Resident

I love my silver faced as1100. Why the lack of silver faced audio in N. America? As nice as the matching yamaha cd players look, I am not in the market for a 2k cd player. I'd pay about 600 to have a matching silver cd player. I've almost pulled the trigger on a Cambridge unit, but it looks closer to grey than silver. Definitely not an exact match.

3. audiodefiled

I've got a silver 1100 and love it, but it's hard to find a matching cd player. Everything on amazon.ca is black.

Xpression Carbon likes this.
  4. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Maybe look at the Rotel CD14, it's a little over your budget, but is a few years old now so should be able to find one in really good shape in your price... there's also the similar looking CD11 for a couple hundred less.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    audiodefiled likes this.
  5. audiodefiled

Thanks for the info. I found a canadian site that lists the cd14 for 900 and the cd11 for 700. There is no spec list for the 14. Any idea what the differences are? And are those prices decent?

6. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Very satisfied owner of my CD11 Tribute Rotel Silver using wonderfully with my AS2200. The Rotel is worth every Penny of the 599.00 and more !! :)

7. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I think I heard a rumour that they maybe developing a new CD player? I haven’t seen any hard evidence but I think it was mentioned on this thread some time ago. Might be prudent to wait 12 months and see if any news arrives.

audiodefiled likes this.
  8. Reesdog

Reesdog Forum Resident

I listened to Soundgarden as you suggested, you’re right, very nice through the 2200. I played Down On The Upside, the 2016 Euro edition, just stunning through the amp, drums and male voices as others have said do stand out.

I’ll also try something with brass in it, I’m not a big Jazz fan, but a band I really like, Morphine use brass instruments - so will give that a go.

To be honest though, the music I’m enjoying the most with this amp is anything with electronic elements involved, synthesiser’s, drum machines etc. I find that the 2200 is fast if that makes any sense, it can easily grab onto any subtle electronic parts and emphasis them very well..

MikeJedi and aunitedlemon like this.
  9. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

There was a Youtuber that posted lots of vids of the Kinki and he upgraded to a Yamaha (3200). My guess is the 1200 /2200 Yamaha amps are better but more expensive. Also remember the better support there is over Chinese product.

10. haomingy

haomingy Forum Resident

I read the whole thread and to my understand the 200 series are just slightly better than 100. Is it worth additional $600 to get a brand new AS2200 versus a like new refurbished AS2100?

11. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Likely not, but some people swear that the 2100 is better sounding than the 1100 although they share pretty much the same makeup. I own an 1100, but haven't heard the 2200. I would imagine that the extra $600 would be better spent elsewhere.

haomingy likes this.
  12. Helom

Helom Forum member

I would actually prefer a 2100 over a 2200 for the simple fact that EI core transformers are less likely to suffer humming issues. Already a few owner reports out there of humming issues with the 200 series.

haomingy and George P like this.
  13. haomingy

haomingy Forum Resident

2200 shares the same phono stage as 3200 which is superior, and people may compare them with balanced input.
    I heard toroidal transformers are more picky about mains quality. It seems like theoretically toroidal has slight edge over EI at power amp especially high current needed but I've never been able to compare them soundwise. I think I'll try the 2100.;)

14. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

interesting. Maybe it was with the 1100 / 1200 series, but I am fairly certain they share the same phono stage. The 2200 phono was upgraded?

15. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Yea, schematically it looks like that whole series starting with the 1100 share the same discrete phono stage, but could be some minor differences.

LARGERTHAN likes this.
  16. haomingy

haomingy Forum Resident

The difference of 1200 and 2200 has been talked in earlier posts, in the video at 4:30.

MikeJedi posted that 200 series upgraded the phono section but some others said they're the same with 210o and 2200.

17. Helom

Helom Forum member

The amps and preamps I’ve owned with EI transformers have actually had the superior dynamics. The pattern has been consistent enough in my systems that I now consider EI transformers a significant selling point when choosing gear. I recently bought a DAC/headphone amp that does use a toroidal but I would’ve preferred an EI, O-core or R-core transformer.

I know that toroidals are technically superior in terms of leakage flux, but my real-world experience is that toroid-powered amps are often as noisy or noisier than those with EI xfmrs. Performance really comes down to the entire design. An engineer can opt for a toroid xfmr but negate any theoretical advantage by using a cheap, off-shelf unit, or failing to design a quiet circuit board layout, or orienting the transformer such that sensitive components are still affected by the EMI.

There are brands like Ayre, Audio Note, Aesthetix and Allnic (all A-names oddly enough) that shun the use of toroids.

John Curl, Parasound’s chief engineer, has some interesting comments on the subject:
    https://www.parasound.com/pdfs/JCinterview.pdf
    Note which type he said he would choose for a weight, cost-no-object amp (Pg.9).

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  18. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Question for AS2100/2200 owners:
    Is there a speaker impedance setting on these amps? I don’t think this is the case but just double checking.

Thanks

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Looking at the rear panel of the A-S2200 it doesn't appear to have a speaker impedance setting.
    [​IMG]

20. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Thanks. I saw the reference to 4ohm and 8ohm below the binding posts, hence the inquiry.

Bill Mac likes this.
  21. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

That's there to let you know if you want to run two pairs at the same time (A+B) they have to be a minimum of 8 ohms. If you want to just use one pair of speakers on A or B, they need to be 4 ohms or more. From the manual (page 7): "Caution: If you use two sets (A and B), the impedance of each speakermust be 8 ohms or higher." Same for bi-wire.

aunitedlemon, Bill Mac and Ivand like this.
  22. didnelps

didnelps Well-Known Member

Question to a-s**** owners, do you have recommendation for a good dac to pair with A-S3200.

I currently own Rme dac fs 2, i think it is a bit cold and flat sounding with Yamaha A-S3200 and would like to upgrade. My yamaha is connected to a pair of Harbeth Shl5+ 40th.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  23. Helom

Helom Forum member

Try one of the Denafrips DACs. Their adjustable oversampling and filters allow you to have a DAC that’s warmer than most, or a DAC that sounds more like a delta-sigma, like the RME. Basically, if you want warmth, you can have that, if you want all the high freq extension you could need, you can have that too. You can also configure them so the sound is somewhat in-between. The effects are far less subtle than what you get with the adjustable filters of a typical delta-sigma DAC.

didnelps and bluemooze like this.
  24. EastConcept

EastConcept Forum Resident

I would also recommend the Schiit Bifrost 2 if you can't source a Denefrips.

I have one paired with my A-S3000 and it sounds gorgeous. Lovely warmth and punch and according to the reviews somewhere in between the RME and Denefrips Ares 2 in terms of sound.

didnelps, micpoc and bluemooze like this.
  25. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

You could try the Yamaha cd-s 2100 or 3000. They were made to partner your amp.

didnelps likes this.