2020 Yamaha Integrated Amps A-S1200/2200/3200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Deadly_Icy_Calm, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

My meters on my 1100 I predict have been on for about 800 -1000 days with no signs of dimming

matrix-6 likes this.
  2. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I’ll start by apologising as I can’t answer your question! I don’t understand the desire to leave an amplifier on 24/7 especially when these amps were not designed for it (they even have an automatic off) and with rising energy costs!

Joshua Tree and Davey like this.
  3. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

It's difficult to explain why, but I will go ahead and try with bullet points as it's just easier for me:

1. I have two amps and two remotes.
    2. One of the two remotes can power on and off both amps.
    3. The two amps are slightly behind a couch away from my listening space and away from the speakers - this is actually a good thing if you research it.
    4. When I go to sleep at night I pick up the one remote that works with both amps and hit the power off/standby button.
    5. About 70% of the time only one amp turns off. If I hit the power button again the one that is off turns on and the one that is on turns off. It's an endless cycle unless I click on it super fast or at an odd angle to not trigger the other amp. I usually pick up the second remote as it only works with one of the amps to turn that amp off.
    6. I've been doing this for about 2 to 3 years and I'm tired of it.
    7. My wife did the same the other night and complained about it.
    8. On numerous threads here and elsewhere people say solid state amps don't need to be turned off and can actually sound better when left on.
    9. The consensus is there is zero harm leaving them on 24/7 and it might actually be better as you don't jolt the system with electricity on and off every day.
    10. I reached out to Yamaha and they said 9. is not a problem.
    11. I have my amps on all day as I actually listen to music all day long, so the only time it is off or in standby is when I sleep at night.
    12. I of course turn it off when I go on vacation or if there is a storm outside/power fluctuations. I actually pull the plug. And I actually have it plugged into a medical grade power outlet.

So, all that said, specifically with me listening to music all day long, I figure leaving it on for 8 hours overnight is not a problem.

weavzy and scobb like this.
  4. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

5. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Was at a HiFi show this weekend. Last year one of the rooms played on Yamaha reference components, the GT-5000 turntable and the M-5000/C-5000 amplifiers.
    This year they still had that beautiful GT-5000 turntable, but now the much cheaper A-S1200 integrated amp, and some HQ monitor speakers, don't remember the brand. The A-S1200 is a very good amplifier for it's price point. But it was not difficult to hear that is not up to my A-S3200 in sound quality. The A-S3200 sounds fuller, more fleshed out and more textured. But of course it should for the price point.

I got to hear some fun details about the GT-5000 turntable. You know it was first released, then recalled. After a year or so it was finally ready to be sold. The story is that a group of young (audiophile) engineers at Yamaha had some ideas to improve the player. They got thumbs up from Yamaha. They could use all the tools and materials they wanted, buy would not get paid overtime for all hours used on the project:D. So this lent to the version that is sold today.
    Some details was also told on the dust cover, it is so much more than a piece of plastic. It is produced to really meet some HQ standards!

6. EastConcept

EastConcept Forum Resident

I'm not trying to show off here, but it's not every day I end up with two A-S3000's on my HiFi rack, so I want to capture this moment. Plus it's an excuse to keep this thread alive.

I'm such a nerd when it comes to these audiophile Yamaha amps that I can't stop looking at them both and trying to decide which is the most beautiful. There's some serious sibing rivalry going on here!

I never thought that I would love the black version as much as I do. Too much association with cheap AV receivers I think. But it really is stunning, a very very cool look. I absolutely love the VU metres, they're better than the ones on the silver version as you can see them move more clearly.

I'm still siding towards the silver version though. Looks absolutely gorgeous to my eyes and has the vintage 1970's look going on which I love. Plus I feel silver makes the listening room look more spacious, doesn't show dust as much and it matches my speaker stands.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
  7. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Beautiful, both of them :love: That top glass shelf is making me slightly nervous tho... o_O

EastConcept, micpoc, siebrand and 2 others like this.
  8. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Very difficult choice!

9. EastConcept

EastConcept Forum Resident

:D apparantly each shelf can hold 250kg, so I can sleep easy (I think).

10. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Sweet ! I prefer Silver as well !! Love my AS2200 in Silver. These really are special amps .. o believe on the newer 200 series they added the toroidal which is similar to the 3000 (altho the 3000 still has more power than even the 2200) I bet the 3000 rocks your world !! Enjoy those :)

EastConcept, Toneh and George Blair like this.
  11. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

I vacillated endlessly before deciding on a silver A-S2200 and then instantly regretted it :laugh:
    I think they look more vintage in silver, which is neither good or bad - more power to you and your silver A-S2200! It really is a wonderful amplifier although I've subsequently sold mine.

You're right about the inclusion of the toroid in the newer 2000 Series models (a-la A-S3000). However I know of at least one review site that measures the 2200 as being ever so slightly more powerful than the 3000. According to that same site the newer 3200 is a little more powerful than them both, but the differences are small to the point of being meaningless in real world use.

Having heard both the 2200 and 3200 myself there are other factors that separate the two lines.

siebrand, Echoes Myron and MikeJedi like this.
  12. George P

George P Notable Member

Do you recall if when you heard the 801 you were using the CD Direct Amp or Pure Direct functions? I find that, when I don't use one of these, I get a sound akin to what you describe, but when I use one of the Direct buttons, I get a much clearer, sharper, better focused sound.

I wrote more on that in this thread and I am always looking for feedback: Yamaha Amplifiers - Pure Direct and CD Direct Amp - comparisons sought

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  13. Helom

Helom Forum member

Yes, I was definitely using the Pure Direct feature.

14. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

I'm looking to upgrade my speakers to a new set of NS-5000s, but I need to first sell my existing GoldenEar Triton One.R speakers. I'm only mentioning it here as I've had great synergy between the GoldenEars and my A-S3000, so let me know if anyone is interested. I've posted the ad in the For Sale forum here and some other sites, but folks are welcome to PM for any further info.

UltraDNS likes this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

OK, thanks for clarifying.

Over the last four and a half years, 99% of my A-S801 listening has been using the CD Direct Amp function. I get the best sound through my A-S801 that way, a sound that is detailed and a bit warm. I find that without using either of the two Direct functions, the sound is too homogenous, too bland. Pure Direct is better than no Direct function, but the sound lacks color. The overall sound is clear, but cold with Pure Direct in my system. Additionally, CD Direct amp has a better S/N ratio, having 104 dB, while Pure Direct has 99 dB.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  16. Helom

Helom Forum member

I tried all settings including CD direct to which I had my DAC connected. It was still a very veiled and homogeneous experience. Not at all what I expected from a Yamaha amp.

17. George P

George P Notable Member

It is weird.

Your AS501/AS500 doesn't sound like that, right?

Was the 801 brand new when you tried it out?

18. Helom

Helom Forum member

It was new yes, but amps tend to only get more veiled and homogeneous with break-in IME, not clearer. The 500 hasn’t ever sounded that way, not since day 1. Neither did my 1100. The A-s2200 did however, that one was also a big disappointment.

19. George P

George P Notable Member

Agreed.

Interesting, both from the previous batch of models. Maybe something changed.

Agreed again.

Helom likes this.
  20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Because the glass shelf is in dire need of dusting ;)?

SirAngus, scobb and George Blair like this.
  21. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

If $ is no object-both. Two systems or switching them as the urge strikes. Both stunning. I have the silver version.

EastConcept likes this.
  22. UltraDNS

UltraDNS Staying in Seattle?

Wish I could be buying a set of NS-5000’s!

siebrand and OC Zed like this.
  23. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

I have an opportunity to get a good deal on them, but I still need to sell my current set first to fund the purchase. It’s kind of nuts because I’ve never even heard the NS-5000s, but I dig the Yamaha house sound, so these should be the ultimate extension of that.

24. George P

George P Notable Member

Has anyone worked out the main differences between the A-S2200 and the A-S3200? Given the price difference, I have to imagine that there are quite a few.

To be clear, I am only concerned about sound differences. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  25. George P

George P Notable Member

Did you happen to hear the A-S3200?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022