2020 Yamaha Integrated Amps A-S1200/2200/3200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Deadly_Icy_Calm, Mar 27, 2020.

1. George P

George P Notable Member

Do you find that you use the tone controls on your 3200 more than you did on your 801?

Daedalus likes this.
  2. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

No. If I do it's only because I've had the 3200 as a daily driver longer than the 801. I rarely ever implement tone adjustments but when I do it's almost always to boost the bass on an anemic recording. I used (and greatly appreciated) the "loudness" dial on the 801 a great deal when it was my mainstay amp, particularly late at night during my frequent post-bedtime listening sessions. I wouldn't say I miss that function being absent on the 3200 but I did find it incredibly valuable on the 801. The 3200 just delivers on every level without any futzing about. I've been away from it since Thanksgiving and can't wait to hear it again!

George P likes this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks! I hear you on missing the 3200. Last night I didn't want to go to sleep because mine was starting to sound so good. Up
    till then I had used the tone controls off and on, a factor I now attribute to burn in.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    Bill Mac and EastConcept like this.
  4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I didn't realize you had bought the 3200. Congrats on the addition of an amazing amp! From what I've read it's an excellent sounding amp.

Tim 2, MikeJedi and George P like this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks, Bill! It absolutely is. Definitely a significant step up from the 2200.

Bill Mac, Toneh and EastConcept like this.
  6. George P

George P Notable Member

A-S1200/2200/3200 owners - do you prefer the Peak or the VU setting on the meters? I feel like Peak is more "fun" and VU seems more adult. :) Lately, I have been using the VU setting.

MikeJedi likes this.
  7. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Peak — way more fun at all times on my 2200 :) :) !!!

George P likes this.
  8. EastConcept

EastConcept Forum Resident

Same same! :)

MikeJedi and George P like this.
  9. kumizi

kumizi Well-Known Member

Currently have AS501. Just ordered AS1200. Let’s see if I can tell a difference.

Harbeths and Denafrips DAC

10. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

My 2 cents is — I think you will ! These are amazing sounding amps :) have fun and let us know what you think. I am amazed all the time with my 2200 :)

kumizi, woodpigeon and EastConcept like this.
  11. EastConcept

EastConcept Forum Resident

Nice. I look forward to hearing your experience of the A-S1200, I reckon you'll love it! I must say I have fond memories of the A-S501, it's the amp that got me into 2 channel Hi-Fi :)

I'm sure the Harbeth's and Denafrips DAC will pair well. I find the Denafrips Pontus II to be a superb match for my A-S3000.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    bluemooze and kumizi like this.
  12. aunitedlemon

"Peak" 98% of the time. When I have it cranked I feel bad for the frantic needles being nearly pinned so I ease off of them and switch to "VU". :D

George P likes this.
  13. aunitedlemon

I think you're going to be impressed. I imagine the 1200 will get those Harbeth's to sing like never before.

bluemooze likes this.
  14. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Just checking in to see if any firmer opinions are forming as the days go by George? Are you starting to think the 3200 might be "the one"?

aunitedlemon and MikeJedi like this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, I think it might be the one. After first trying the A-S2200, then the Hegel H390 and finally the Musical Fidelity M6si, it would be a relief to finally find an amplifier I can enjoy, even love. I don't want to jinx anything, but I can already say that I like the A-S3200 significantly more than any other amp that I have heard in my system.

Unfortunately, the burn in on the 3200 has been annoyingly bumpy and extensive. I had been warned by a review that said that even Yamaha recommends a minimum of 100 hours, but I still have not been really prepared for the burn in on this amplifier. I have run a signal through it for 153 hours and I think that as of tonight I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Prior to tonight, the sound alternated from periods of brightness to preiods of veiled sound. When bright it was harsh and throughout burn in there was haze over the sound that adversely affected the clarity. This haze is nearly gone and the alternating periods of bright and veiled seem to still be happening, but the effect is minimal. Dynamics and frequency extension (at both ends) are OK, but I suspect (hope) that they will continue to improve with more burn in time.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  16. If it’s alternating between veiled and brightness it seems like something is amiss.

Slimwhit33 likes this.
  17. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

Any chance you need a different pair of speakers? You’ve seemingly gone through some nice integrated amps. Did you consider trying them with different speakers?

Shawn likes this.
  18. aunitedlemon

:laugh: Ha!
    Of those 153 hours of a running a signal through it, have you turned the volume up much to exercise it? If you get its pulse up it might return the favor. :)

Toneh likes this.
  19. George P

George P Notable Member

I have, about half of that time I had it up to a good level. And as it sounds better I've been turning it up louder still.

aunitedlemon and Toneh like this.
  20. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Pleased to hear it George. I mean, you certainly have put in the hours to know what works for you by now. And based on my brief encounter with the 3200, it certainly did distinguish itself as being something exceptional!

I'm glad that tiny bit of humour wasn't lost :laugh:

aunitedlemon and George P like this.
  21. aunitedlemon

I know how that goes. There are certain albums that get turned up more and more as each side plays as I'm astounded by the sensation of the music. The 3200 is a special amp. Glad to hear you're enjoying one too.

George P likes this.
  22. kumizi

kumizi Well-Known Member

Break in question for AS1200

1. is it a thing?

2. Should if I leave music playing overnight to speed it up? do I need to have the volume audible for break in to occur?

Or don’t worry about it and use it for 3-4 hours a day as I normally would?

23. Don't worry about it and use it for 3-4 hours a day as you normmally would.

Wigru, matrix-6 and Espen R like this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member

1. It absolutely is a thing, especially with Yamaha.

2. Definitely leave it playing for as long as you can. Low volumes still burn the amp in, but to a lesser extent than at normal volumes.

25. Please tell me how you know that lower volume 'burns in' an amp at a different speed than normal volume. Have you purchased multiple identical units and ran them for hours at different volume levels to make such a statement? Of course, this is all assuming solid state integrateds burn in.