2020 Yamaha Integrated Amps A-S1200/2200/3200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Deadly_Icy_Calm, Mar 27, 2020.

1. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I have tone controls at zero and the meters off!

siebrand likes this.
  2. kumizi

kumizi Well-Known Member

First thoughts after 3-4 hours.

AS1200 has better bass/grip and clearer and sweeter midrange than the As501.

For background listening to generic rock and pop, I actually miss the liveliness of the 501.

For example, I’m listening to Qobuz Best of 192 kHz: Rock. Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Elvis, etc didn’t sound appreciably better on the AS1200. John Lennon Working Class Hero came on and I clearly prefer the AS1200. I play Adele and I definitely prefer the AS1200. I play house music and definitely prefer the bass from AS1200.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    bluemooze likes this.
  3. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

That 1200 is still in its infancy. I'd reserve critical judgement until you've given it much more time to mature.
    I've always been skeptical of electronic equipment "burn-in" (and still kind of am) but my A-S3200 taught me that the extensive initial playtime makes a valid difference in both the quality and consistency of the sound. I don't think my amp really matured to full potential, or fully settled, until after the 100 hr. mark.
    Either way, enjoy!

4. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree: :agree: :agree:

5. George P

George P Notable Member

Do you recall which characteristics were the last to burn in?

6. aunitedlemon

The incredible low and mid bass tonality took the longest in my house. I'd get hints of the amp's potential in the first week where the bass just seemed to blossom and really grab my attention but it didn't become consistently gob smacking until after many days of running it.
    Along w/ the renewed definition of what bass can be, musical texture is a new-to-me sensation that I've come to highly value in the past few months. I won't say that this sonic texture wasn't there from the beginning of plugging in the 3200, but it has become a very tangible part of what I love hearing and feeling from this amp- whether it took time to develop, or I did.
    The 3200 has brought many sonic attributes to my attention that I was previously unaware of.

ether-bored likes this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks.

I'm glad you said bass, because my lower bass is just coming in over the last day or so. It hasn't tightened up yet, so I am eagerly waiting for that to happen.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  8. aunitedlemon

May it shock you in the best of ways and make it worth the wait.

ether-bored and George P like this.
  9. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

All I can say is that my new preowned Luxman SACD player matches *sublimely* with the A-S3000… Well worth the trouble to schlep across Tokyo and check home as luggage.

10. didnelps

didnelps Well-Known Member

I am concidering to match Jbl L100 classic with Yamaha a-s3200. Does anyway have experience with this combo?

MikeJedi likes this.
  11. aunitedlemon

I'm feeding JBL L82's w/ a 3200 and getting beyond satisfying results. There's definitive synergy between Yamaha and JBL in this house.

MikeJedi and Shawn like this.
  12. George P

George P Notable Member

As with the 2200, I definitely hear a difference in sound with the meters on/off. With them on, I get a nice airy treble response. With them off, much of the airyness goes away and the sound is slightly dull. I suspect they voiced this amp with the meters on, as I feel it has the best sound with them on.

MikeJedi likes this.
  13. aunitedlemon

Are you saying that the sound is brighter with the lights on? :biglaugh:
    Don't mind me. :D

14. George P

George P Notable Member

You made that joke upthread. :laugh:

aunitedlemon likes this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

This morning before sunrise, I turned on my 3200 with the lights off for the first time. Man, was I surprised how it lit up the room, with a big yellow area of light on the floor underneath the amp. I was so surprised that I was a little scared, actually.

siebrand likes this.
  16. aunitedlemon

I'll try not to be so redundant.

bluemooze likes this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

Update on my A-S3200 - As others have shared, the sound on this keeps getting better and better as it burns in. I have also been using a capacitor burn in technique recommended by Steve Deckert, involving shutting down the amp completely at night and playing music through it all day for five days. I'm now getting a more fully formed sound, with more solid images and bass. The upper mid/treble glare is gone. Dynamics are getting better, but I expect them to continue to improve. Bass extension will also hopefully extend a bit more as well. Last night I listened to a few old 80s CDs that I couldn't play very loud on my old A-S801 and they sound a lot better, more musical, less harsh on my 3200.

And its getting better, but I'm still getting used to the feel of the volume control on the remote. On loud masterings the small steps are nice, but on good masterings I find myself pressing the button 2-3 times to get an audible change.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    aunitedlemon and adamos like this.
  18. aunitedlemon

I'm glad to hear that the 3200 has been a better experience for you than the 2200 was. I'm still surprised they're that much different but I can certainly relate to just how good the 3200 is. Listening to an LP w/ my young son before his bedtime just now and even at "bedtime" volume the sound of the music is truly captivating. My son usually never stops talking but even he stops to listen. It's damn good.
    I'm also excited for you because it sounds like there's still a bit more stabilizing to happen before your 3200 is singing in full bloom. It's a weird concept to believe in (for me), audio equipment burn-in, but hearing a 3200 come into its own has me believing the idea has merit. It thoroughly redefined my perception of bass. Am I repeating myself again?

Bananas&blow and George P like this.
  19. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, I think I mentioned this earlier, but the 3200 is what I had hoped the 2200 would be. To me, the 3200 has more of that clear, neutrality I got with the 801 than the 2200. A reviewer on youtube talked about how confident the 3200 sounds, how it seems to do everything effortlessly. Another reviewer used the adjective coherent. I agree with both of them. I feel like with the 3200, I get the refinement and richness of the 2200, wedded with the clarity and neutrality of the 801.

At this point, I would describe the 3200 as rich, refined and clear. There's something comforting about the sound is makes through my B&W 704 S2s.

Yeah, the bass is still working itself out. It's tricky to know when its actually done, for it is a more composed, more refined bass than what I got with the 801.

As for burn in, I never had an issue with it, as I have always heard it in audio equipment. I've heard it with all types of cables and all kinds of components. I wish I either didn't hear it or it wasn't a thing though, for it is nerve racking and patience straining. At this point, the changes are more subtle and it's more about stabilizing and solidifying the sound. It feels close, though.

Toneh and aunitedlemon like this.
  20. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Having owned both the 801 and the 2200 and having heard the 3200 in action I think the above description just about nails it.

IMO in terms of creating a flagship integrated offering that combines the virtues of clarity, insight and transparency with what one might (inadequately) describe as musicality and a sort of effortlessness to it's presentation... this is the S-Class or 7 Series type experience. Every bit a contender in the high end, heavy-weight integrated league.

George P likes this.
  21. Helom

Helom Forum member

You’ve got it right. The 500/501 have a PRaT (Pace/Rhythm/Timing…) that the upper end Yamahas somewhat lack. That will remain after the break-in period.

kumizi and bluemooze like this.
  22. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Any comparison with Luxman, please?

23. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

I've seen that one when it came out, but it doesn't fulfill my curiosity because it compares "apples and oranges":
    - class A Luxman,
    - class AB top model Accuphase integrated
    - class AB entry "high end" Yamaha integrated. :rolleyes:

24. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I’ve been listen to the Yamaha C5000/M5000 reference amplifiers a couple of times. In my ears, the 3200 shares much of the sonic signature, especially the richness and textured sound.

25. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Have you ever heard McIntosh? When I first picked up my AS-1100 I debated between it and the MA5200 priced at $4300: Yamaha A-S1100 or McIntosh MA5200

The consensus was if you go with McIntosh, go with their Autoformer based amps, of which the MA5200 was not. The Autoformer based systems were out of my price range so I went with the A-S1100.

At the price range of the A-S3200 ($7,999) and the C5000/M5000, I wonder how McIntosh amp model with Autoformers compare.

Shawn and siebrand like this.