2020 Yamaha Integrated Amps A-S1200/2200/3200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Deadly_Icy_Calm, Mar 27, 2020.

1. micpoc

micpoc Forum Resident

Great advice all around, but do NOT use ACV in your Neti Pot. :rolleyes:

MikeJedi and George P like this.
  2. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Indeed!

Cold_pillow, MikeJedi and micpoc like this.
  3. Cold_pillow

Cold_pillow Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing your speaker recs and experiences with the Yamahas, @MikeJedi, @OC Zed , and @aunitedlemon . Lots to consider here, and I'll be sure to keep the thread posted on the outcome.

This review from Lbtechreviews.com said:
    The receiver is also built like an A-S1200, giving a very different impression of quality to the cheaper receivers in Yamaha’s R-N range of network receivers. The weight of just over 22 kilos says it all. Much of the weight is due to a 603 VA transformer (the A-S1200 has 625 VA), four 18,000 pF capacitors, Sanken MLE20 and MJD20 Moss-Fet push-pull transistors, on heavy-duty heat sinks – and a cabinet that looks like it was sculpted out of a solid block of steel.
    It seems like it should still have great capabilities and sound, but just a touch underpowered relative to the A-S1200.

MikeJedi likes this.
  4. Steemax

Steemax Forum Resident

Need some thoughts here. Should I be worried about my A-S1200 being capable of driving 87db 4ohm speakers? I feel like I would be riding the limit of the amp at high volumes given I'm in a 30' x 20' room and sometimes we're sitting/walking way back on the other side of the room.

5. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

The room size might be a bit concerning , but
    I can tell u I am running 86 db Polk L200 with my 2200 in my approx 12x15 upstairs loft with no issues at all. Smaller room. You do have an extra db though .. what brand of speaks out of curiosity? Towers or ? hopefully I can help ;)

michael

the 1200 is certainly rated for 4 ohm loads and it’s got a lot of guts under the hood for sure similar to my 2200 ..

6. Steemax

Steemax Forum Resident

Towers, picked up a pair of Dynaudio Contour 30's that are on the way. I'll just have to see how it goes but I'd rather not damage the speakers. I believe the 1200 and 2200 give 150w into 4 ohms though correct?

7. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Put your hand on the amp after you've been driving it a while with music at what you consider an appropriate volume. Is it hot or just warm or very warm? I would say warm or very warm your safe.

MikeJedi and Spokeless like this.
  8. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Yes 150 :)

9. Steemax

Steemax Forum Resident

That's one way of doing it :D... If anything I'll have to start looking for a replacement.... maybe monoblocks this time around.

Thanks!

10. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I just stumbled across this thread so apologies if it's been covered, but are those of you with these amps using the the phono pre? If so, any comparisions?

11. George P

George P Notable Member

The 1200 was measured at 172 watts in 4 ohms: YAMAHA A-S1200

kumizi likes this.
  12. Steemax

Steemax Forum Resident

That's great news, it sounds like I should have enough power.

MikeJedi and George P like this.
  13. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Definitely .. my 2200 is probably higher than the stated 150 as well .. Yamaha probably rates these conservatively :)

Steemax likes this.
  14. Steemax

Steemax Forum Resident

Well i'm happy to report the 1200 isn't breaking a sweat. What's odd is it would get much warmer with the Evo 4.4's connected.

15. superelmar

superelmar Well-Known Member

Anyone can recommend a good cart either MM or MC to match with a 1200GR/AS1200? Zu Omen MKI.

Had to sell my hi-end gear to fund incoming wedding/house and will be settle on the Yamaha/Technics for a good year or two.

PS: Have a Clearaudio Maestro V2 sealed box, and a friend wants it, so can get a nice cart and save more cash.

16. George P

George P Notable Member

17. Reds622

Reds622 Forum Resident

Want to add tubes to my system... thinking maybe with a phono pre-amp?

Currently have a AS2200 along with a Rega Planar 6. Current phono is Rega Fono MC.

Any recommendations on a tube phono pre-amp that I can add to my system? Would it be worth it, in your opinion, to add tubes to my all SS system?

Thanks.

18. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

My new Yamaha high-end speakers to match my amazing 3200 amp was shown at Munich high-end show last week. :)
    About 4500 grand + stands for a pair Yamaha NS-800A. Not so bad.
    It has the "golden compromise" sizes for a terrific 2-way speaker, Imo.

NS-800A - Overview - Yamaha - Other European Countries

19. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

These look nice, but the 86.5 dB sensitivity is pretty rough.

20. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Similar to Harbeth P3ESRs. My A-S1100 drives my P3s w/o issue so these should be fine. They go lower though (and higher): 40 Hz-65 kHz for the Yamahas vs. 75Hz–20kHz for the Harbeths.

MikeJedi likes this.
  21. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Don’t worry my 2200 drives my 86 db 4 ohm Polk L200 with no issues at all !!!

Bananas&blow likes this.
  22. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Should not be a problem. These speakers are desinged to match Yamaha amplifiers, and should work well with lots of other amplifiers.

These speakers does not use traditional sound damping materials like Acoustilux, wool, etc. That’s good, cause these materials absorbs a bit energy from the music, these very fine micro details that creates life to music.

timzigs likes this.
  23. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

I have been playing with the NS3000 (5000's lil brother), paired with Yamaha/Luxman gear mostly for a couple of months and have been finding it hard to listen to anything else. I recently also heard that Borresen standmount (only a 100k) and went "that's it??? :D. Yamaha's re-entry into hifi speakers feels like the old Pioneer/Tad<-->Yamaha rivalry is finally coming back.

Espen R likes this.
  24. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Congrats! I know a guy that owns a pair of 5000, he said the same, it’s hard to listen to other speakers after this kind of sonic pleasure. He said his 5000 speakers are so «quiet», it’s like some kind of noise is gone.

I listened to the 3000 for some 25 minutes in the store where I bought my 3200 amp. I was really impressed. The sound was so clean, clear and effortless. I instantly focused on the music/performance, not the sound.
    The only criticism I had was that when large scale dynamic music was played, I felt the size of the speakers was a bit to limited. With the 800A I think Yamaha may have found exactly the right size of the cabinet. Time will tell.
    Today, the Gamut L3 is my prefered speakers at home. Also have a pair of Infinity speakers.

That Borresen/Aavik/Anzus products from the same danish company…..ehh, I think I refuse to comment on that;)

25. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I wasn't in love with the lack of dynamics that the A-S3000 had with my NS-5000 speakers which are also hard to drive. Yes, music still sounded good in terms of tonality, but the amp just didn't have a sufficient level of speed and control over the drivers. That was to my ears in my room w/my preferred music. Of course, everyone's mileage may vary.