2021 Hendrix Release Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by adam_777, Dec 26, 2020.

1. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

All I really crave is the full "Black Gold" tapes. I think I have everything officially released, included things out of print, and a massive load of live shows and outtakes. But I want new material! "Suddenly November Morning" may not be his greatest song but it's definitely what I want more of, in terms of its newness (to me as a listener), its thoughtfulness, its personal nature, and its insight into Hendrix's final year. Anything with Hendrix on it is of interest to me, but I definitely don't need another live version of "Spanish Castle Magic" or yet another reconfiguration of the unreleased/posthumous albums.

2. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Seems like there might be an audience tape of Memphis 6/9/70. Would LOVE to hear that on Dagger.

Freedom
    Lover Man
    Red House
    Message To Love
    Hear My Train A Comin'
    Room Full of Mirrors
    Machine Gun
    Hey Joe
    Foxy Lady
    Stars Spangled Banner
    Purple Haze
    Voodoo Child

kees1954, zphage, EVOLVIST and 4 others like this.
  3. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I’m afraid they will attempt to repackage existing releases for newer fans with one or two new bits thrown in.There is that possibility little to nothing will see the light of day.I hope not though.

4. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is why I want some of that stuff that we technically have rereleased. Obviously to make it more readily available, but also, the sound quality, particularly on the vinyl sets has been pretty consistently amazing. Groovy Children is just an incredible listen. These shows are just too good and too important a part of the story to exist in the catalog the way they do at present.

It's always during the rarity isn't it, not during Foxey Lady! Really enjoy that Lund show though, one of my favourites of the 1967 boots.

anth67, Purple Jim and jhm like this.
  5. adam_777

I;m really hoping Dagger returns to being basically a yearly entity. There's no reason not to really. It requires almost no marketing since it's hardcore fans only basically and there is obviously still material that can be utilized on the label. Since Sony took over the label has been used mostly for early Hendrix material with just the one live show in Cologne and technically the Hollywood Bowl show in branding, but it hasn't been released as a stand alone. But there is still a great deal of studio material and jams that probably won't find their way to mainstream releases, and obviously an audience and soundboard recordings that aren't up to mainstream release standards. So hopefully that label gets a shot in the arm here and starts routinely producing again!

Hep Alien and crozcat like this.
  6. *Sigh* I don't know what to predict or to speculate about anymore. I'll probably be happy with what I get, yet bellyache about what I didn't.

It's the nature of Hendrix fans. Long-suffering and get off my ****ing lawn.

Hep Alien, jhm, SG47 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

While the previous choices like RAH, or San Diego/LA 69 would be welcome and I wouldn't mind seeing a box set like the previous 2, but personally, I would like to see something that hasn't been heard before, or leaked or something that is unexpected, preferably live, but studio tracks would be would fine too.

8. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

RAH RAH SIS BOOM BAH!!!

That's all I have to say

9. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Re other material the afternoon rehearsal prior to the LA Forum show was recorded to 8T. Similar to the RAH and Berkeley rehearsals but doesn't circulate.

10. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

After 25 years Experience Hendrix still hasn't released half-dozen unheard performances of Hey Baby John McDermott gushed over in his 1996 Sessions book....the 'gorgeous' 2/16/70 version with Buddy, the 'marvelous' 5/14 and 5/15 Record Plant performances and the 'thrilling moments' of Hey Baby from the 26:00 medley recorded at Electric Lady.

25 years on and none of that has been released yet we get Cat Talking To Me with 1967 Jimi guitar overdubs mixed out and Mitch Mitchell's 1986 vocals and ZZ Top Afterburner drums mixed in.

11. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

:drool: :drool: :drool:

12. adam_777

There is some serious gold in those vaults. Incredible that one of Hendrix's best known songs from the last months of his life could have at this point so many alternate recordings in the vault and none have been utilized in any form. But part of that is why I think they must have a plan at some point for releasing a set for the 1970 time frame. Individual versions of it could have fit on Purple Box, WCSB or the trilogy of VoN, PHA and BSotS. But none were. I'm thinking/hoping there has to be a conscious reason for this, especially since McDermott is obviously well aware of them.

That 26 minute Electric Lady jam is like a Hendrix stream of consciousness. Would love to be able to drop a needle on that and drift away for half an hour.

13. As I mentioned in another thread, it was brought to my attention that the Beach Boys' SMiLE approach could do very well for a "First Rays" boxset of similar size. Both are albums that never were, so I kind of took the SMiLE pattern:

1.) Evolution of songs, e.g. "Hey Gypsy Boy" -> "Hey Country Boy" -> "Hey Baby (Land of the New Rising Sun)"
    2.) Period mixes w/acetates, mono references, etc. - Many that I noted a few pages back
    3.) Solo demos, e.g. Black Gold, "Scorpio Woman", etc.
    4.) Reproduction vinyl singles, like the original "Stepping Stone" w/"Izabella"
    5.) Reconstruction of possible album configuration

The demand for SMiLE proved positive with fans, that even if you have 5 or so versions of the same song, their inclusion is illuminating.

Moreover, and this is important, having one mastering engineer master everything on it will add a cohesiveness to all tracks, which is something that we don't have. The tracks have been scattered all over, with different engineers, and even on the early posthumous releases (1971-1974) I'm convinced that there was post processing, independent of the mastering, that is incongruous to how Jimi wanted his music to sound.

@PacificOceanBlue made a great list of tracks. I've further added to it, in a list of Haves and Have-nots:

The Haves & Have-Nots: Hendrix original mixes

We Have:
    "Come Down Hard On Me" - August 22nd, 1970 mix - Purple Box
    "Night Bird Flying" - August 22nd, 1970 mix - Purple Box
    "Earth Blues" - August 22nd, 1970 mix - Purple Box
    "Lover Man" - (Recorded July 20th, 1970 w/ overdubs) Purple Box (is there a period mix?)

"Message to Love" - August 22nd, 1970 mix - WCSB
    "In From the Storm" - August 20th, 1970 mix - WCSB

"Power of Soul" - August 22nd, 1970 mix - Both Sides of the Sky

We Have-Not:
    "Angel" - August 20th, 1970 mix
    "Drifting" - August 20th, 1970 mix
    "Lonely Avenue (Ezy Ryder)" - August 20th, 1970 mix
    "Belly Button Window" - August 20th, 1970 mix or unaltered August 22nd mix
    "Dolly Dagger" - August 20th, 1970 mix or unaltered August 24th mix
    "Room Full of Mirrors" - Unaltered August 20th, 1970 mix or earlier mix
    "Ezy Ryder" - August 22nd, 1970 mix or unaltered August 24th mix
    "Freedom" - August 22nd, 1970 mix or unaltered August 24th mix
    "Straight Ahead" - August 22nd, 1970 mix
    "Bolero" - August 22nd, 1970 mix
    "Hey Baby" - August 22nd, 1970 mix
    "In From the Storm" - August 22nd, 1970 mix
    "Bleeding Heart" - August 22nd, 1970 mix
    "Midnight Lightning" - August 22nd, 1970 mix
    "Cherokee Mist (Valleys of Neptune)" - August 22nd, 1970 mix
    "Astro Man" - Unaltered August 22nd, 1970 mix or earlier mix
    "Beginnings" - Unaltered August 22nd, 1970 mix or earlier mix
    "Drifter's Escape" - Unaltered August 22nd, 1970 mix (from SSD, only not digitally compressed and limited)
    "Izabella" - Original single mix
    "Stepping Stone" - Original single mix

@SRC I understand that having another configuration/reconstruction might not be a tasty prospect, but in this case the sequence isn't as important as having unfuxed with mixes and a single mastering engineer, to at least put the songs to bed once and for all. Cohesiveness cannot be underestimated and especially having all of Hendrix's mixes under one roof would be a dream come true.

Balder1, Hep Alien, davies54 and 3 others like this.
  14. davies54

davies54 Forum Resident

E.H. could release a double C.D. of the have-not's and would please the hard core Jimi fans. Not really for mainstream release, so, put it on Dagger. That's
    what the label should be there for.
    Talking about the Dagger imprint, they could have run a 50th anniversary set of the B.O.G. January 1970 jams untouched, I think most fans would be more than happy with that.

jhm likes this.
  15. How about the best segments from the studio playbacks of "Drifting?" I listened to all 44 minutes of it the other day; at the very least, this segment:

a.) Jimi hears the track backwards (it's reversed) and he lays down his guitar lines in-time.

b.) He takes two shots at it, but we only need to hear him laying down the second attempt, which ends up being the master.

c.) We now hear the tape forward and it contains the the classic backwards guitar we are all familiar, proving that Hendrix really did know exactly what his backwards guitar would sound like played forward.

Thats probably an 8 minute segment that's extremely illuminating. People probably don't want to hear that, though.

It's the best backwards guitar that I've heard from anybody at any time.

SG47 and cublowell like this.
  16. davies54

davies54 Forum Resident

THAT is the genius of Jimi Hendrix!!

SG47 and EVOLVIST like this.
  17. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Va
    Variations on a Theme-Hey Baby

5 studio versions, 5 live. Too bad the Hal Leonard series is from a generation and a half ago.

Hep Alien and Chris M like this.
  18. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

The Are You Experienced solo would be great to have too. I made my own in Final Cut, it’s amazing to hear it as it was played and how perfectly it fit the song.

19. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Dagger isn't there for that. Dagger is for material that is considered unreleasable by Sony (and previously MCA). Mostly audience bootlegs. As far as proper/professional studio recorded material goes, only loose jams (without vocals) and there hasn't even been one of those released since EH signed with Sony.

Those "Jimi mixes" from Aug 1970 obviously don't fall under either category. They are sure to continue to slowly drip out of the vault over the next few decades on future major label releases - just like 'Black Gold' from which we've only gotten one song (released on Sony) so far - and which some people around here still like to delude themselves will come out all at once :biglaugh: as a Dagger release. :crazy:

20. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Except that the Smile pattern includes an actual approved configuration of the album, modeled on Brian Wilson's modern day solo album recreation (the rest of the content was modelled on what they had done for Pet Sounds before it). There could still be a sessions box set, but it would be hard to sell it the same way as those types of box sets where there is an actual album configiration to hang the rest of it onto. (Because I don't think we want EH to canonize their FROTNRS as the album and use that as the basis...?)

My comment in the other thread about the "Izabella" and "Stepping Stone" mixes, that are erronously paraded as being from the single, was to suggest that you might consider that they belong in this category...? (But of course it's impossible to know as long as we are not provided with correct infomation about what they actually are.)

21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I know there was a flurry of activity before IOW, but I'm trying to wrap my head around 8/20 having seven song mixes, 8/22 had sixteen song mixes done and 8/24 having three song mixes done.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. It's busy work, but pretty simple: they had already touched these songs several times before these dates, either to overdub or to get preliminary rough mixes. On the studio sheets they had the notes where the levels should be for each tune, the basic fader moves, pan pots, EQ, compressors, etc.

Basically on the mass days of mixing we're talking tweaks. Nobody is mixing from scratch. They mix on a day, go home, listen to it, and report back with any tweaks.

Secondly, I see a number of these mixes being rough, just bringing up levels, to see where they are. When you have something like "Bolero," "Hey Baby" "Beginnings," "Angel," "Bellybutton Window," and probably "Cherokee Mist" and "Midnight Lightning," we're probably talking about basic backing tracks with not a lot of overdubs, if any at all. So, it probably didn't take a lot of time to "mix" those if you're just bringing up levels.

Of course, I would love to be surprised if some of these mixes had overdubs that we haven't heard before.

On a little tangent, some of these mixes are probably a matter of taste, like "In From the Storm." WCSB included the mix from August 20th, but not the 22nd, as maybe Kramer thought that the mix from the 20th was superior, that the tweaks on the 22nd was a step back. Or, perhaps the mix from the 22nd no longer exists. I've thought about that. In Ultimate Hendrix, McDermott might be noting the mixes from studio logs, not actual tapes. After all, if we are to believe EH, it took them a long time to "find" the mix of "Power of Soul" from August 22nd, the book doesn't even mention the mix of "Earth Blues" from the 22nd, yet its since been released.

nbadge, Hep Alien and jhm like this.
  23. Saigor

Saigor Active Member

It would be awesome a box set like this:

CD 1 - 2 : RAH 1st show (are there rehearsals or soundchecks prior to this show?)
    CD3 - 4: RAH 2nd show ( with all the best existing soundchecks and rehearsals)
    2 Blurays:
    Bluray 1: uncut footage of both shows and backstage plus surround mix of both shows
    Bluray 2: long documentary with lots of low-quality remastered footage on special features that maybe couldnt fit well in a concert video of the shows but yes on a special features on the documentary, wich could be about the period of late 1968 to early 1969.
    A mainstream release of an expanded edition on Ben Valkhoff´s book "One last Experience" would be awesome.
    And a limited edition figure of Jimi on the second show with the same level of quality as the blitzway figure.

I think that the trilogy of COL, RB, WH are among some of the most well received posthumous releases of Jimi, they concentrate in 3 releases pretty strong material that EH could milk in 3 releases instead of just 1 with the First Rays idea. I think that its not anymore about who is right in the conception of the most approximate version of jimi´s 4th album, but in making the more releases out of it as possible. We´ll have to wait and see. But is highly probable that the 50th anniversary of COL, WH and RB wont get unnoticed by EH since they have already done it wit AYH, AXIS and the EL 50th.

The opportunity of 5oth anniversary SDE versions of the holy trinity have already been wasted, but i think its not too late if they chose to do it for the 60th anniversaries.

True, that album could had had easily a box as bigger as the white album or even more, maybe thet will try to apologize to the fans on the 60th anniversary?

Thats true, but one thing could not necessarily contradict another, we could have a netflix biopic along with more bluray releases of Jimi.

It is known wich shows specifically were professionally recorded and filmed of the 1969 Europe tour?

It would be nice, maybe a double vinyl remastered and the soundtrack on cd. Talking of live performances, it would be awesome a 4 cd highlights of performances from the early days of the experience on 1966 to Jimi´s final jam on 16/9/70. There are many circulating shows that could be restored in high quality or rare shows that could be used.

I think that they will release at least one more mainstream studio album, are there studio versions of Killing floor, like a rolling stone, wild thing, catfish blues, sgt peppers , mercy mercy?

I predict that they will release two or even 3 more studio jam albums in the style of Burning Desire/Hear my music. If they will try to sell it on mainstream releases or leave it on dagger its difficult to tell.

For the next anthology, since the last two were released on the beginning of the last two decades and last year we didnt get one, it could be that they will release one on the 80th anniversary of jimi´s birthday next year, but deluxe reissues of WH, ITW and an anthology in one year seems to much. It could be interesting for a dagger release a 3 CD set of the non - experience singles in wich jimi contributed, similar to "the jimi james singles collection" boot, they could do 2 cds of that singles and a 3rd bonus disc of sessions takes, alternative takes and alternative mixes.

It would be awesome a Blu - ray release of all the existing tv performances and footages, higly restored and they could color it but leave it optional, you could choose between the black and white footage or the colorized version.

It would be great, one release from dagger each year, there is lots of interesting material they could use, shows, jams, demos.

I loved the Baggy´s Rehearsal sessions, it could be great that some day EH could release an expanded edition with studio versions of (if they exist) Machine Gun, Stop, Steal Away, Who knows, more alternate takes and Jams, ididthe BOG rehearsed the experience songs to get Miles familiarized with them? are there recordings of experience era versions with the BOG?

I predict that some day EH will do a box with all the live versions of Red House, Voodoo Child (Slight return, Machine Gun and Hear my train acomin', a separate box for each song.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    Hep Alien, Purple Jim and adam_777 like this.
  24. adam_777

The 1969 Euro shows filmed and recorded were last three of the tour Strasborg Vienna and Berlin. Also not done by the same crew but earlier on in the tour The Stockholm show was recorded and one set video'd. So quite a bit of material and except for Stockholm all unseen/heard.

J_D__ likes this.
  25. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

For the first 30 minutes after posting, there is an "edit" link in the lower left of your post next to "delete" and "edit". If you click on it, you can edit your post and save changes [within that 30 minute timeframe].
    :tiphat:

Saigor and EVOLVIST like this.