2021 Hendrix Release Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by adam_777, Dec 26, 2020.

1. thenobs70

thenobs70 Forum Resident

Wouldn't need to be this year, but how about an In The West box set with L.A. Forum '69, San Diego '69 & Berkeley '70 (First Show)?

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Berk will be separate since they can add unseen performance footage and redo the previous blu ray without yellow tint.

3. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

I agree. I'd hate for some kid to pick that up as his intro to Jimi Hendrix. As mentioned, the 2nd set is dynamite...if only there were video!!

DTK and nbadge like this.
  4. Balder1

Balder1 Forum Resident

This, pretty much. Black Gold is the only recording left in the vaults that I still feel some genuine excitement about - mixed with an increasing amount of frustration as the years roll by with no release. The recent revival of Dagger Records gives me a flicker of hope in this regard. Second on my list would be a remastered/ expanded/ resequenced look at Jimi's final album 'First Rays'

5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

A while ago I moderated my opinion of the 2nd Stockholm concer. Now I feel it's merely good+. Jimi still sounds a bit moody and out of it. While the playing is fine he doesn't sound inspired or happy. But it's definitely something that merits an official release.

6. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Would they even consider releasing the full first show? We got the two video tracks that isolated on their own are...ok. But putting them in context of the full show wouldn't benefit them. And EH doesn't have a track record of putting out really poor performances (poorly recorded performances, that's another matter). Still it would be interesting as a contrast putting them both out together.

Maybe a complete "Stockholm Syndrome" set with the Stages set in full, the two 1969 concerts and full video would work. :laugh:

DTK likes this.
  7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

All I really want at this stage is Black Gold and more studio jam albums like Hear My Music and Burning Desire.

Hep Alien, Balder1, smoke and 2 others like this.
  8. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

I'm as big a fan as any, but do we know what Black Gold really is beyond this? It seems like it would be just a bunch of loose jams, don't see how it would be a Holy Grail. "Suddenly November Morning" is certainly lovely and adds to Jimi's legacy, but I just don't see where more of that would be a mind blower.

9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I would like that title :laugh:

10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I want a fricking Hit Factory box set! Yeah it was chaos at times but there must be more gems in that pile of tapes...early versions of Burning Desire etc etc.

jhm likes this.
  11. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

No official Albert Hall film/audio for you, Jim :)?

Nomadicarchivist and kanakaris like this.
  12. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

"Stockholm Syndrome" is too clever/intelligent for an official release name (judging by what has come before) IMO. I'd be a great fan/bootleg title though :)!

DTK likes this.
  13. John Harchar

I wouldn't elevate it to Holy Grail, but it's really the last good batch of original Jimi songs there are (that and whatever may be on the other cassette tapes). Once we get those, we've got just scattered things here and there for original material.

14. John Harchar

Lord I Sing the Blues! How is THAT not released yet?!?

jhm and DTK like this.
  15. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

Randall's Island has it's moments. Message to Love is solid, Watchtower is solid, some other good ones too, cool solo on Ezy Ryder.

Some nice chord changes on the verses in Red House along with the "F/U" solo to the audience on Red House, they were out of control thus, pissing Jimi off.

16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The film would be nice, even though we know most of the footage aleady.
    The audio would be nice, even though I have already been listening to it all in very good quality for decades aleady.

I'd rather have something new.

Roberto899, jhm and crozcat like this.
  17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I have no false illusions about Black Gold. I'm fully aware that it is merely rough sketches of songs on a little cassette - but it would be a fascinating listen.

Hep Alien, Balder1, SG47 and 2 others like this.
  18. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I agree. I won't claim to have own every recording released, but I am only aware of a small number of performances featuring Jimi on acoustic guitar, so to the wider public I think the idea of an album of Jimi playing acoustic demos would be a revelation.

Balder1 likes this.
  19. Balder1

Balder1 Forum Resident

AFAIK, it's mostly solo acoustic demos like 'November Morning', rather than loose jams of which we already have plenty

905 likes this.
  20. Balder1

Balder1 Forum Resident

Isn't it?! I know we're still waiting for 'Heaven Has No Sorrow' as well

21. John Harchar

No, they’ve had many opportunities as far back as 1975 but we’re still waiting for it. When they do it, I hope we get the full version.

Balder1 likes this.
  22. Balder1

Balder1 Forum Resident

Yeah, me too

23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The tentative tracklisting of Black Gold on Wikipedia includes Drifting, Machine Gun, Astro Man, etc. so, if this is accurate, it’s not a batch of wholly unheard new Jimi Hendrix songs.

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. John Harchar

Correct, it’s a matter of how they fit in context. Is Drifting the full song or just that bit at the end of SNM? Is Machine Gun full or just some of the verses? Are the two Astro Mans (and the Black Golds for that matter) different? Won’t know until we hear them :-(

There’s also what’s on some of the other cassettes.

Hep Alien and Balder1 like this.
  25. Balder1

Balder1 Forum Resident

That's right, but some of tracks are wholly unheard - that's the key issue