Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

2021 marks 50 years of ELO (Electric Light Orchestra)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TrekkiELO, Feb 23, 2021 at 3:47 PM.

1. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident Thread Starter

"2021 marks 50 years of ELO. We’ve been all over the world and have so many incredible memories to look back on, and more to create! Throughout the year, we will be sharing special 50th anniversary surprises with you. Follow us here, and on Twitter & Instagram @jefflynneselo to see what we have in store! #ELO50"

Jeff Lynne's ELO on Twitter: "2021 marks 50 years of ELO. We’ve been all over the world and have so many incredible memories to look back on, and more to create! Throughout the year, we will be sharing special 50th anniversary surprises with you. Follow along to see what we have in store! #ELO50 https://t.co/biPT7WVi5N" / Twitter

:cool:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 3:56 PM
  2. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

Message From The Country is also celebrating its 50th birthday this year; for my money, the finest hour of the Lynne~Wood collaboration. Heed ¨The Words of Aaron¨!

3. "Jeff Lynne's ELO 50th" is the kind of muddled marketing that the guys in Part II and later The Orchestra have been vilified for, but I'm just about willing to look past this if we get even a fraction of the content I've seen teased behind the scenes over the last few months. Also, since it's very unlikely Jeff's camp is going to mention these, I'll do my bit and inform you all that both Part II albums are to be reissued via Renaissance Records in August, with Moment Of Truth making its vinyl debut as a limited 2LP pressing. On a related note, isn't there another anniversary coming later this year? As with the 2018 edition of Secret Messages, it may end up being a few weeks late, though I suspect this one is worth waiting that bit longer for. Just what is the source of that expanded Time tracklist on Wikipedia, and why hasn't it been removed yet?

4. Mike burgess

Mike burgess Forum Resident

So there might be some worthwhile releases happening this year?

5. claytonm4500

claytonm4500 Forum Resident

It goes without saying that Jeff deserves an insurmountable amount of thanks from us the fans for the music he created, and here we celebrate ELO's origins just over 50 years ago. The music to us is practically a unique art in its own right, which is why we hope for an anthology set that includes old songs and new songs alike. It is always fun to revisit the classics while also being surprised with unreleased content such as touring audio, alternate takes or demos. It is very telling that incompleted demos such as "Second Time Around" and "Dark City" have followings of their own... and hopefully there is more out there. Perhaps that is what their tweet implies, I'm wishing.

Sammy Banderas and Mike burgess like this.
  6. Dave1965

Dave1965 Forum Resident

mikew, Sammy Banderas and lawrev like this.
  7. claytonm4500

claytonm4500 Forum Resident

I would not take that particular entry seriously as of right now.

Information pertaining to the two outtakes from Time is extremely limited, with nearly everything else surrounding them being nothing more than assumptions or educated guesses. The title Time Transporter has no official credibility, only a placeholder title dubbed by some in the ELO community. This is in reference to Rain is Falling mentioning a time transporter, and also is based on the guess that the intro to Hold on Tight on Flashback is an outtake from these acetates (since track D3 and this intro both immediately precede Hold on Tight). Based off that, the chances of D3 actually being called Time Transporter are astronomical. Possible, yes, but unlikely.

Sad Affair is also not confirmed. It had an entry on the Jeff Lynne Song Database, but webmaster Rob Porter told me via e-mail he removed it since it was never further corroborated and he came to believe it to be a hoax. Since then, track B3 has been dubbed Sad Affair for the lack of any confirmed name. Youtube user ELO Rare Tracks uploaded a video claiming to be Sad Affair, clocking at 4:21, this video was completely silent and was also never further corroborated. Best to just assume this is fake as well.

On the surface, that double album tracklist on that article looks made up based around this information that's in the grapevine, and marking it as definitely true. As for the oddities like the short length of Julie and the 5 minute 21st Century Man? I simply couldn't tell you, but they are probably based around similar assumptions due to their positions on the 2LP.

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  8. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

Can't wait to purchase both Part II albums.

Jeff Lynne's ELO has been all over the world? I don't think so (probably just being picky with the words). They been to America, Britain, Scotland, and Ireland. They haven't gone to Australia, and they really should have since it has been 43 years since the original ELO went to Oz. And Jeff's group should play Eastern Europe (which Part II did) or South America (which Queen did).

A 2 LP Time is worth spending money on. But I would love some live tracks, or a live cd bonus feature on another release.

So, this year will be interesting in JELOland!

croquetlawns and Retropsych like this.
  9. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Some people have quite an imagination.

10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley 5.1 should be mandatory for my favourite albums

All the classic albums in 5.1.
    On The Third Day through to the extended Secret Mesaages.

Yea I know, but I'm allowed to dream ....

mikew, Retropsych and Mike burgess like this.
  11. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

The 1st album (with 10538 on it) was the best one. Had a prog-rock feel to it. Wasn't the same without Roy Wood. ELO 2 had it's moments
    though.

FireBrigade and WHMusical like this.
  12. SFM1965

SFM1965 New Member

Agreed. And some of this nonsense was debunked by contributers to a recent thread on the Time double album subject, but no fun letting the facts get in the way of rumours from 'insider sources'.

A bit like Jeff's planned launch of the 'ELO 50' campaign on national radio a few months ago which was pulled at the last moment because someone put something on YouTube which upset him. Or the planned Move reunion (yes including Bev) as opening act for Jeff's ELO at Birmingham a couple of years ago which was on the cards... until it wasn't.

The imaginative feeding the gullible, but just my opinion of course.

edenofflowers and THE801 like this.