2021 marks 50 years of ELO (Electric Light Orchestra)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TrekkiELO, Feb 23, 2021.

1. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing an shining a little light in our lives! You don't bring med down a bit. For me, it's not about rock band or prog band or semi-prog band or orchestras-it's about the music, not the labels. And, do ya know it's soul not sole.

2. doity

doity Forum Resident

Well, I do know that ELO has no “soul” whatever version of the band we’re talking about. And I am not talking about the funky kind either. But hey, feel free to buy their ‘product’. I am sure that Jeff will thank you.

3. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

I have been and will continue to free to buy their "product." Not sure what you mean by "soul"-is that element present in all the 70 prog rock bands' work? And not trying to pick a tussle, but what do ya expect when coming on a thread celebrating a band? You don't like them-that's cool. But you remember the commercials about chex cereals? I saw the ELO show on their last tour in Nashvegas (3rd row center-yah!)-and one could not attend a more joyful set of entertainment. If we ever have shows again and he hits the road, give it a try. And, Telephone Line doesn't have any soul? C'mon.

4. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It also opens the discussions to trolls. It seems that your only interest in this subject is to disparage the band. You made your point, you don't like ELO and don't "get" ELO.

BrentB, JoeRockhead, ARK and 9 others like this.
  5. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Oh thank God. Finally I can rest at night knowing what random user1004875757 thinks about ELO's music.

6. I'd be very surprised if they'll just throw out release dates - if that worked, I'd be hounding them 24/7!

Jeff was approached a few years ago about the possibility of his catalogue being remixed into the surround format, but there are two factors preventing this from happening. First of all, several of the original multitrack tapes are either missing or damaged. Also, he's gone on record as saying that he doesn't like this kind of presentation, since it reveals how his tracks are made. EMI's multichannel edition of the first ELO album only happened because the approved version doesn't allow you to hear anything in full isolation, and when it comes to most 5.1 mixes you'll find in films, these are typically overlaid with dialogue or sound effects, with the actual music mostly limited to the front speakers. (There are 5.1 versions of Eldorado, A New World Record and Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1 doing the rounds, but these certainly aren't official, plus their quality leaves a lot to be desired because of how they were created.)

In short, if Jeff wanted this, he would surely have made it a reality by now. We'll just have to wait and see what gifts may come our way this year - with the anniversary window rapidly closing or approaching if you go by the release of the first ELO album, it's just a matter of time before we hear something...

Jarleboy, davenav, PhoffiFozz and 4 others like this.
  7. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

We don’t get you.

8. joey essex

joey essex Forum Resident

They wrote a ton of incredible, unique music with gorgeous hooks. Not a lot for me to get, but I've always sort of prized style over substance, not that Lynne is incapable of substance. How does a song like "Livin' Thing" not move you, though? Sounds like it was crafted by the gods to my ears. Their bluesy/rockin' songs are also well above par. I still stop what I'm doing when I hear "Don't Bring Me Down": perfectly dense with a fabulous hook.

9. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Thanks for letting me know to not get too excited about ELO in surround. Read the following knowing that my tongue is firmly in cheek ..., Jeff is probably right that people want to learn how his tracks are made, but he does realize that we could just ask engineer Mack or Bev Bevan how it was all done, right? Mack is probably still head spinning from the hundred edits in "Sweet Talkin' Woman", LOL, as I know that they always make my head spins when I listen to it.

Jarleboy and c-eling like this.
  10. doity

doity Forum Resident

Well you asked, so I will reply. The song that you mentioned, as well as most everything that I have ever heard from the band is basically pop music gussied up with cartoonish strings and studio trickery. The only couple of songs of theirs that I found to have much substance are “Turn to Stone” and the one with the weird backwards message used for the WWOS.

I should love the band as I am a giant fan of art rock, prog rock, and great pop in general. My favorite band of all time is The Moody Blues. I love The Beatles. So why don’t I get ELO? Not to put anyone down for their tastes but to me their music is much too surface deep. There was never enough there for me to sink my teeth into and/or need to hear for more than one or two times.

Hey, different strokes.

11. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

If you don't like ELO, by all means let everyone know-then go back to listening to what you like.

BrentB, Galeans, ARK and 6 others like this.
  12. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Speaking (sort of) of "All Over The World", I just wanted to pop in to say that I love, love, love the way they used the song over the ending credits to Paul. Brings a smile to my face every time.

Jarleboy, PhoffiFozz and FACE OF BOE like this.
  13. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ma-Ma-Ma Belle features Marc Bolan of T. Rex on twin lead guitar, its B-Side Daybreaker was a hit here stateside @ #87! :cool:

Happy 47th Anniversary to “Ma-Ma-Ma Belle!” Released this week in 1974. #ELO50

14. NJ Englishman

NJ Englishman Forum Resident

Livin’ Thing moved my wife and me sufficiently to choose it for our first dance at our wedding. It’s just one of many ELO songs that we love, though.

15. TrekkiELO

Nice

ELO - Secret Messages Poster In Record Store 1983

:cool:

16. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Probably the only thing I can thank Chris Evans (UK broadcaster) and Gary Barlow from Take That for is bringing Lynne back to prominence again, I get the criticisms that many have over his production techniques and some of ELO's 'cheese', but he/they have give much joy to me and my family's lives can't thank him enough.
    Being at the recent Lynne/ELO gig at Wembley is a life highlight.

17. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I was there too. Agree, a great show!

edenofflowers and rontoon like this.
  18. TrekkiELO

35 years ago today the following became prophetic as now it's a so-called one-man band, Jeff Lynne's ELO!

Casey Kasem's American Top 40 from March 22nd, 1986, will be on this coming weekend...

"American Top 40 originates in Hollywood, here's the 3-man orchestra that used to be a 7-man orchestra, the incredible shrinking, Electric Light Orchestra, at #24 with, Calling America"

"From an LP called, Balance of Power, that's Calling America, The Electric Light Orchestra, they move from 33, to 24"

:cool:

19. Jeff McParsons

Jeff McParsons Forum Resident

Great song!
    Has been a little bit too often on the radio in my youth but now I enjoy hearing it again!

20. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

One of my favourite ELO songs from this period. Interestingly, it was just around this time that George Harrison asked Jeff to come and produce his Cloud Nine album. I wonder if this song had anything to do with that decision? Maybe it was a Harrison favourite too.

21. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

How many of those 50 years has there not been an ELO?

22. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

Now that we are into April, I thought I'd ask: What's happening with the ELO 50th anniversary campaign?

BryanS likes this.
  23. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

I bought several of their albums "back in the day" and haven't played them in decades.

But I've recorded all the ELO concerts shown on the BBC over the last few years and I play one now and again.
    It's like a breath of fresh air compared with a lot of the contemporary rubbish..

Retropsych, cwd and lawrev like this.
  24. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

Do you have the Heartbeat 86 Concert in high quality audio? That I know people would love to get as that concert has never been formally released on cd, etc.

Timjosephuk and RangerXT like this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it's a strange feeling to know many of the bands I've loved are either very old or dead...

lawrev and Jarleboy like this.