2021 marks 50 years of ELO (Electric Light Orchestra)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TrekkiELO, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Bev says they recorded 17 songs, and we know Jeff recorded one further track himself, which adds up to the exact same number as featured on the 5-20-81 acetates, as confirmed by the owner of these discs. What mystery is left to be solved? If there's any remaining doubt, then I genuinely don't see how it's possible to move beyond this. An ideological stalemate with the emphasis on stale.

Last nail in the coffin.

2. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

3. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I think the point missed here is that while it may have been considered for a double album it was obviously scrapped because the material didn't justify it (total length being too short or substandard songs). I find this to be a different situation than the Secret Messages single-double LP release. I don't think we were ever meant to hear Time this way but it is nice to have the tracks that were dropped. No loss, IMO.

4. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

If Big Al Johnson was Jeff's mentor, how come Jeff hasn't spoken about him at length? I've heard the name before, but I've never heard Jeff speak about him in the past 30 years. Or are there sources I am missing?

5. Northernlight

Northernlight Forum Resident

Scary. Seems like only a decade or so,

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Starlight" wasn't a hit and if you're going to mark all of these anniversaries please use the audio for "Mr. Blue Sky" by Electric Light Orchestra from 1977, not Jeff Lynne's ELO solo at Wembley or Bust in 2017!

This month marks the 44th anniversary of Out Of The Blue's album release. As you all know, some of ELO's biggest hits have come from this album: "Mr. Blue Sky", "Wild West Hero", "Turn To Stone", "Sweet Talkin' Woman", and "Starlight" just to name a few. Tell us your favorite track from Out Of The Blue in the comments! [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  7. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

While we await to hear more information from Jeff's camp regarding the 50th anniversary, I saw this morning that Renaissance Records is coming out with a 2 cd Anthology of ELO Part II and The Orchestra recordings. Preorder here:

Electric Light Orchestra Part II & The Orchestra - Anthology (2CD)

This is an excellent mix of songs and can't wait to hear them.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

A) Renaissance Records has a dismal track record
    B) This is a very poor compilation, including a ton of covers of "real" ELO songs. We don't need those. Focus on originals from ELO Pt 2/Orchestra.

9. TrekkiELO

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Electric Light Orchestra Part II were a band formed by Electric Light Orchestra drummer and co-founder Bev Bevan. The band also included former ELO bassist and vocalist Kelly Groucutt and violinist Mik Kaminski for most of its career, along with conductor/keyboardist Louis Clark who toured as a guest with ELO in its later years.

ELO Part II released a self-titled album in 1991. The album was intended to hark back to ELO's classic sound of the mid-to-late 1970s.

Now a six-piece band with a slightly altered name, Electric Light Orchestra Part II recorded a second studio album, Moment of Truth, which was released in 1994.

In November 1999 Bevan played his last show with the band at the Sands Hotel in Atlantic City and issued a press release in early 2000 indicating that ELO Part II had split. Due to Bev Bevan selling his rights to the ELO name to Jeff Lynne the band could not continue under the name ELO Part II. The remaining members, however, recruited drummer Gordon Townsend and decided to continue as The Orchestra who continue to tour up to the present day.

DISC ONE TRACK LISTING

Hello Hello (Troyer)
    Honest Men (Troyer)
    For the Love of a Woman (Troyer)
    Turn To Stone (Live) (J. Lynne)
    Thousand Eyes (Live) (Troyer)
    Roll Over Beethoven (Live) (Clark)
    Moment of Truth (Overture) (Clark)
    Breakin' Down The Walls (Bates)
    Power of a Million Lights (Troyer)
    Interlude 3 (Clark)
    One More Tomorrow (Bevan/Kaminski/Bates)
    Voices (Kaminski)
    The Fox (Groucutt)
    Love or Money (Troyer/Bates)
    Blue Violin (Kaminski/Groucutt)
    So Glad You Said Goodbye (Bevan/Troyer/Bates)
    Confusion (J. Lynne)
    Do Ya (J. Lynne)
    Don't Bring Me Down (J. Lynne)

DISC TWO

Jewel and Johnny (Huxley)
    Say Goodbye (Troyer)
    No Rewind (Troyer)
    Let Me Dream (Troyer/Kaminski)
    Before We Go (Groucutt/Troyer/Huxley)
    Medley 1: Confusion (J. Lynne)/Twilight (J. Lynne)/Last Train To London (J. Lynne)/Twist And Shout (Medley/Russell)
    Medley 2: Turn to Stone (J. Lynne)/Evil Woman (J. Lynne)/Last Train To London (J. Lynne)
    If Only (Live) (Troyer)
    Livin' Thing (Live) (J. Lynne)
    Evil Woman (J. Lynne)
    Standin' In The Rain (Live) (J. Lynne)
    Mr. Blue Sky (Live) (J. Lynne)
    Twist and Shout (Live) (Medley/Russell)
    Last Train to London (J. Lynne)
    Ticket to the Moon (J. Lynne)
    *In Honor of Kelly Groucutt, Old #16
    Midnight Blue (J. Lynne)

Compilation Produced by Eric Troyer. Executive Produce: John Regna.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

croquetlawns and lawrev like this.
  10. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

What is track #16 on cd 2? I assume a never released track?

11. cmtedw

cmtedw Forum Resident

croquetlawns likes this.
  12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The new cover is crap, but the old cover was crap, too. At least this time, it seems like no one spent more than 30 seconds on the artwork. The previous bad cover looked someone might have spent some time to create that crap.

The good thing about the new cover is that it affirms that everything is mastered from analog tape recordings.

13. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

So... your point is that you don't believe Time was ever going to be a double and no matter what is said you will still refuse to believe it because... well, just because a number of sources point to it being considered for being a double there was nothing definitive and so you refuse to accept the possibility even.

14. TrekkiELO

[​IMG]

croquetlawns likes this.
  15. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I prefer the new cover!

16. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

I like the new cover too....very minimalist in a 50s sort of way.

croquetlawns likes this.
  17. opieandy

opieandy MusicIsLife

Got a notification from Amazon that ELO released a new album, "The Vocoder". Anyone know what Amazon is talking about? Can't find anything on the web. Streaming it, sounds like original versions of songs that featured the vocoder.

(Would post a pic but can't find a way to do that on my Android phone. Attachments here seem to require a url.)

Jarleboy and croquetlawns like this.
  18. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I can't find anything about it either - what an odd release! Not quite what we were hoping for to celebrate the 50th anniversary...

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

I'm confused. I took a very brief listen to 2 or so tracks. My mastery of recognition isn't enough to say oh yep that notes different. So to my ear it sounded the same as I'm used to hearing. Is this just a weird "best of" but with vocoder featuring songs? Weird if so and useless. Not surprised though, JL has been totally on the telephone line with the 50th anniversary stuff (totally phoning it in) Feel free to commence eye roll at impressively bad joke.

Jarleboy, Fred1 and croquetlawns like this.
  20. TrekkiELO

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

At this point I'm very tired of Mr. Blue Sky and the vocoder..... Jeff, come out with some new material or rarities!

23. Mr Blue Sky is a brilliant track as long as you don't get overexposed to it. When it first came out and was played on the morning radio it set one up for the day.

The last time I remember feeling good hearing it again was on the opening scenes of Guardians of The Galaxy 2.

24. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

Forgive me if im s bit dense here but isnt yhis just a vocoder heavy selection sort kinda best of. Not remixes or newly recorded versions? And IF that is true that ite NOT newly recordee or remixed (sure sounds same to me), it seems extra offensive to do the bs JF's ELO for songs that when recorded were very much plain old ELO, you know with importsnt band members other than JF and not callee JF's ELO then. The revisionist sort of attitude for hey its x years since this so celebrate it yet despite we dont do d%%k all to honor it and are gonna pi%% on ot by pretending the only relevant thing is the re-recording despite calling out in the half assed anniversary notices the original, well that just irks me, a lot.

Northernlight and Jarleboy like this.
  25. beatbro

beatbro Forum Resident

Welcome to the capitalist world of copyrights and ownership. The only constant from the beginning of Elo to this day is Jeff Lynne, who wrote or co-wrote, produced and performed on all the songs and albums. When Bev sold off his rights, Jeff gained the rights to brand, rebrand, and do whatever he wanted with the name of the band and that indludes its legacy. The business suits and Jeff decided to rename the band to its current iteration to differentiate it from ELO Part II, The Orchestra, Bev Bevan's ELO or all the cover bands that try to get away with using a variation of the name to sell product or concert tickets. Most people are smart enough to know this. Rerecording his own music to protect his ownership is also something that many artists have done in the past including his hero Roy Orbison and current music artists. By the way, have you looked at the playlists? Are the individual tracks rebranded to Jeff Lynne's ELO or the original? Do you get offended when Paul McCartney puts out a playlist and includes Wings songs in it? Good grief, people just want to bitch!