2021 - Movie Hits & Bombs

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Apr 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Almost Famous" prequel - cool!

Juan Matus and SandAndGlass like this.
  2. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Yes, the 76 version is a bad joke (what's Jeff Bridges doing there anyways?) and the Jackson version is greatly improved by simply skipping the first 50 minutes. The 2014 Godzilla sometimes reached for and momentarily achieved that awesome apocalyptic tone, like the attack on the Honolulu airport. But then degraded into a study in dust and debris.

How could any studio exec look at that unwatchable mess of a finale and think it was acceptable?

Matt Richardson likes this.
  3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I guess I have my answer: 31% on Rotten Tomatoes. Bummer. I was looking forward to that one...

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

can't wait for the PC version of The Beatles: Get Back...

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, this is a sad headline...

This Was the Week That Movie Studios Finally Lost Control of the Industry

So here's what's happened in the last 2 years:

• We’ve seen the launch of Disney+, Apple+, HBO Max, Paramount+, Peacock, Discovery+, and more.

• The 90-day theatrical window, to which exhibitors once swore undying allegiance, is dead; 45 days is now accepted as the norm, more or less, and it’s understood that distributors may well change their minds.

• Disney completed its acquisition of 20th Century Fox.

• Disney also created a new division, the Media and Entertainment Distribution group, a centralized department that makes all distribution decisions with an eye toward satisfying Disney+ and Hulu. Theatrical distribution is a “legacy platform.”

• Disney+ currently makes some of their films available day-and-date with premium payment and subscription; this year, HBO Max makes all of their films available to subscribers day-and-date at no additional cost.

• MPA member Netflix bought flagship theaters in New York and Los Angeles.

• A sex scandal removed Universal studio chief Ron Meyer; Warners’ studio head, Kevin Tsujihara, was forced to make a similar exit in March 2019.

• This week, AT&T jettisoned Warner Media to a spinoff and merger that put Discovery in charge, while Amazon reportedly mulled a $9 billion purchase of MGM.

I think you could make a pretty good movie (a docudrama) just about all the intrigue and executive chair-shuffling that's gone on in the last 24 months...

Claus LH, Spastica, Johnny66 and 4 others like this.
  6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Coming Nov 5 - Eternals (Marvel)

Stormrider77 likes this.
  7. Deuce66

Hybrid release - Disney + FEE or Theatres

8. Deuce66

Signs of life at the box office.

‘Quiet Place Part II’ Heads for Mega Box Office Bow, ‘Cruella’ Solid – The Hollywood Reporter

The North American box office is loud once again.

John Krasinski’s A Quiet Place Part II is making history over Memorial Day weekend, grossing $19.3 million on Friday alone from 3,752 theaters for a projected four-day weekend of $57 million. That includes a projected three-day gross in the $47 million range. All are the biggest domestic numbers in the pandemic-era.

Friday’s haul was well ahead of expectations and, more importantly, came in ahead of the first Quiet Place. The sequel’s showing is a huge victory for Paramount and Hollywood as the box office fights to come back to life after being sidelined for 15 months by the coronavirus pandemic.

Heading into the weekend, most thought the ceiling for A Quiet Place II was $40 million.

The other major Memorial Day weekend release — Disney’s live-action Cruella— is doing solid business for a title that’s also available in the home. (It is launching simultaneously in cinemas and on Disney+ Premier Access for $30.)

Cruella grossed $7.7 million from 3,982 on Friday for a projected four-day domestic debut of $27 million-$30 million, likewise ahead of expectations. The family-friendly origin pic stars Emma Stone as the infamous Cruella de Vil from 101 Dalmatians.

Quiet Place II has the advantage of getting an exclusive theatrical release before hitting sister streaming service Paramount+ in 45 days.

Krasinski’s film, starring Emily Blunt, earned an A- CinemaScore from audiences (the original got a B+), while Cruella received an A.

As the box recovers this summer, studios like Disney and Warner Bros. are still hedging their bets and experimenting with day-and-date releases on their respective streaming services (Warners more so than Disney).

Overall weekend revenue will be north of $100 million, another boost for film and exhibition industries, considering the substantial challenges still facing the box office. Roughly 25 percent of theaters are still closed in North America. Many locations that are reopened face capacity restrictions.

The first Quiet Place, released in 2018, opened to $50.2 million in North America.

Stormrider77 and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. These were the least of its problems.

10. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Just adding to the list.

wayneklein likes this.
  11. The original just came out 0n Blu-ray. Some issues with the contrast on the transfer and some other issues. It’s a pity that Fox/Disney didn’t provide a better more balanced transfer, still, the best it’s ever looked. It’s from a composite nitrate print.

Claus LH and Johnny66 like this.
  12. I agree. That film had sooo0 many issues. My wife and I watched it and it had to be the sec)Nd dumbest film I’ve seen this year (Mortal Combat takes the prize-we couldn’t even finish that). GK was awful.

13. This looks like it could be kind of,cool. I vaguely remember reading the Jack Kirby comic for a while but then girls took over for me.

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I figured theaters were finally starting to bounce back when I went to a Tuesday afternoon 4:30 showing last week and the room hosted about 12 people.

I've been going to my AMC since it reopened last August, and I don't think I'd seen more than 6 people in an auditorium the whole time - well, maybe the Saturday evening opening weekend show of "Godzilla vs. Kong" might've gotten about a dozen, but that was it.

So to see that many people at an afternoon weekday show seemed like a very positive sign.

Yes, Tuesday is $5 combo day at AMC. Yes, Tuesday is "bargain ticket day" at AMC.

But those offers existed before last week and yet most of the time I went to AMC since August, I felt like I was in a library.

I'm betting there were plenty of times I went there from August through March where there weren't 12 customers in the entire 22-screen building, much less at one movie!

Still gonna be a while before theaters get back to pre-COVID levels - and maybe that never happens, since studios are butchering the theatrical window now - but at least we see the aforementioned signs of life!

SandAndGlass and brownie61 like this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

PH416156, SandAndGlass and wayneklein like this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Juan Matus, PH416156 and Deuce66 like this.
  17. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Good news, but somewhat puzzled?

“When you’re at the New Beverly, there is an alchemical fusion that happens in the brain when you watch light being shot in 25 frames per second. There is a magic here that you can’t get anywhere else.”

18. I watched Cruella yesterday. It has the best songtrack I have heard in a movie for a very long time -many great 60s and 70s songs. I'm not sure if the target audience will recognize many (any) of them but I was delighted. It did well in its opening weekend -likely a decent hit. The movie was better than I expected (I had low expectations as its a Disney product about a character in a 50 year old animated movie). Recommended.

brownie61 and Juan Matus like this.
  19. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

British writer who got confused about the worldwide theatrical framerate, which is 24fps. European HD and PAL are 25fps (and some Asian countries), plus Australia and New Zealand.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Deuce66

Very solid results for F9.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/27/f9-...llion-box-office-haul-is-pandemic-record.html

• “F9” tallied $70 million in box office receipts during its opening weekend, the most of any movie released in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.
    • With an additional $37.9 million in ticket sales internationally, “F9” has now garnered more than $405 million since its debut outside the U.S. and Canada in May.
    • As of this weekend, 80% of North American theaters were open, according to data from Comscore.

“F9” is paving the way for 2021′s summer box office.

Over its opening weekend, the Fast and Furious film tallied $70 million in box office receipts, the most of any movie released in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

The previous record holder was Paramount’s “A Quiet Place Part II” which opened in May with just under $50 million in ticket sales. Other top openers were “Godzilla vs. Kong,” which tallied $32.2 million during its first weekend in April, and “Cruella,” which took in $37.4 million when it was first released in May.

In the next few weeks, Hollywood is releasing blockbuster features like “Black Widow,” “Jungle Cruise,” “Space Jam: A New Legacy” and “Snake Eyes.”

Then later in the summer and into the fall audiences will experience: “Dune,” “Free Guy,” “Eternals,” “The Green Knight,” “The Suicide Squad,” “Venom: Let there be Carnage,” “Spider-Man: No Way Home” and “No Time To Die.”

″‘F9’ is the first true summer blockbuster released in over two years and all eyes were on this performance to provide a glimpse into the future of the movie theater,” Dergarabedian said. “And that future now looks very bright and bodes well for the big films now in the pipeline set for release in the coming weeks and months.”

22. SandAndGlass

My money is on Black Widow for the big one this summer season.

Still a disappointing number, thus late in the game. As specially when many theaters were beginning to reopen last summer.

23. Deuce66

Still closed here in Toronto, one of the largest markets in North America.

24. SandAndGlass

That's surprising! I was not aware of that.

25. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

It will never be the same.. Hollywood is on it's last gasp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.