2021 Rock And Roll Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KJTC, Feb 10, 2021.

1. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Still meaningless - No Rory Gallagher or Warren Zevon

2. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

They couldn't do that because they would get ripped apart for not being inclusive even more than they already get.

MikaelaArsenault and sewerdog like this.
  3. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Even though I’m not a huge fan of Foo Fighters (don’t hate them either), I would say that they deserve it... consistency over the past 25 years tends to look good. True, they don’t have a blockbuster album, but always making enjoyable music.

4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Have you even heard Bitches Brew through Dark Magus?

5. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident Thread Starter

Funny, all the complaints I’ve seen about the Rock Hall, especially here, have been from folks passing out on the fainting couch about any inclusivity at all.

6. KJTC

They easily meet the longevity criteria:

Honoring bands or solo artists which demonstrate musical excellence. Such a descriptor includes (but isn't limited to) influence on other performers or genres; length and depth of career and catalog; stylistic innovations; or superior technique and skills.​

7. Meddler

Meddler Forum Resident

The only reason to take a passing interest in the list each year is for the potential of a one-off reunion or brief return to stage of a retired artist. Kate Bush is not going to do it, maybe Tina would. Will they try to put on a live show this year?

agundy likes this.
  8. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

Yeah, I know what they say. Might as well induct Beethoven.

9. KJTC

Kate has shown up to collect awards in recent years, but she also hates flying, so tough to say. I’d recommend she come by boat, but The Ninth Wave suggests that’s tempting fate a little too much.

10. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Since there wasn't 90+ pages of blood letting about the Super Bowl halftime entertainment, we can always count on the annual SHF howling about the RnRHoF nominations.

:righton:

11. KJTC

That makes absolutely no sense.

12. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Rappers ARE today's rock stars. The HoF understands that better than the rock purists.

13. KJTC

The idea that AOR has a stronger historical connection to the Class of 1986 than R&B and Hip Hop will never cease to amuse me.

14. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Sound and fury signifying nothing.

I really like the idea of a museum showcasing the history of rock and roll, but as an institution declaring which acts are worthy of honor? I'll simply ignore that.

15. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

On here is one thing. Out in the real world is something different.

16. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

My take:
    1. LL Cool J- should've been in a while ago
    2. New York Dolls- NO
    3. Kate Bush- I think Pat Benatar, Go Go's should be in before her but all should've been in probably 10+ years ago. She won't attend anyways so I would say pass again this year.
    4. The Go-Go’s- Should've be in.
    5. Foo Fighters- They have so many ins with Rolling Stone that they will probably be in their first year but I don't think they should be in yet.
    6. Tina Turner- She should've been in back in the 90's as a solo artist.
    7. Fela Kuti- Who?
    8. Jay-Z- Yes he should be in but maybe not yet as LL isn't in.
    9. Dionne Warwick- OK Barbra Streisand rocks harder than her and she hasn't been nominated nor Bette Midler. If we are nominating the "Vocal" section of the Record Store than this is a big can of worms. What about the Carpenters then? Cher? What about Patti Labelle?
    10. Mary J. Blige- Yes- major trendsetter and has been at it for 30 years.
    11. Carole King- How the heck has she not been inducted yet as a solo artist?
    12. Rage Against the Machine- Yes but I think Iron Maiden should be first.
    13. Iron Maiden- Yes of course
    14. Chaka Khan- She has been nominated a bunch of times and should have been in by now.
    15. Devo- No- too many others listed (and not listed) should be in over them.
    16. Todd Rundgren- I say no every year and I still say no. Forgotten artist unlike the most of the list here.
    No Dave Matthews. Where's Alanis Morissette? No Pat Benatar, No Judas Priest...

Penny24, MikaelaArsenault and KJTC like this.
  17. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

I think the concept of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is fun. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm happy that three of my four favorite bands are in (Pink Floyd, The Cure, Depeche Mode) and will look forward to the day when Fripp and company are on stage to accept their award.

I can't imagine ever getting upset about any of this though.

18. tombayz

tombayz Hey, can I get some bass?

Excellent list. I don't care that a lot of these artists aren't RAWK. I'm not sure what the argument is for Pat Benatar not being in yet, but whatever it is, it's wrong. Also, Kraftwerk should have been in before anyone else that is primarily electronic.

19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Todd
    Carole
    Devo
    Dionne
    Chaka

joy stinson likes this.
  20. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Only shoo in to me is Jay-Z. Iron Maiden seems like they should be in as well. I guarantee Foo Fighters will get in. This is the thing tailor made for Dave Grohl. All those wonderful women should have a spot. New York Dolls are a interesting case. Their impact is undeniable but there are other punk and post punk bands that should be in before them. Devo is one of those bands. The only ones on this list I’m not sold on are Rage and LL Cool J. Great artists but there are better bands with more impact that have been left out that should be in over Rage. Same with LL. He was phenomenal but he should in no way be getting in before
    Wu-Tang Clan or Nas. As for Fela, sure why not? I’m all for widening the net.

21. KJTC

That argument has more merit. Mid-tier sixties bands and 70s/80s AOR are heavily over represented in the Hall. It’s why I have trouble taking seriously the folks with 75% of the pie crying about not having 100% of it.

22. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

@Chris DeVoe

Could you please take care of this one?

23. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I think you have the right attitude here. I'm always pleased to see bands that I admire get some well deserved recognition--if there are just one or two inductees that I love, I'm happy. Otherwise, I don't pay too much attention and I don't get all bent out of shape over it. I'm not holding my breath waiting for King Crimson, nor do I regard it as some sort of personal offense when my pet favorites get ignored. The R&RHoF just give music nerds like us something to chat about around the water cooler, so to speak, nothing to get hung up about.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  24. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

The only positive thing I can see about this sham, is that the winners get a spike in their sales for a short period afterwards. Load of nonsense.

Purple likes this.
  25. KJTC

I mean, yes to all? There are tons of male vocalists and vocal groups in the hall of fame. If Bobby Darin and Dusty Springfield and The Everly Brothers and the Four Seasons and Linda Ronstadt, why not Bette Midler and Barbra Streisand and the Carpenters and Cher? If Aretha Franklin and Donna Summer and Sam Cooke and Marvin Gaye and Whitney Houston, why not Patti LaBelle?

They can be argued for or against on the merits of their work, but shouldn’t be preeemptively excluded from the conversation, given the Hall’s inductees from day one.