2021 Rock And Roll Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KJTC, Feb 10, 2021.

1. beenieman

beenieman Senior Member

Take out solo Stevie Nicks and they got it right.

Humbuster likes this.
  2. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

catchy

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  3. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I'm good with that.

radickeyfan and beenieman like this.
  4. beenieman

beenieman Senior Member

I think that everyone outside of some on this forum knows that rock and roll in terms of the HOF refers to music post the fifties that has been popular or imfluential.

The idea that Judas Priest, for example, is more "rock & roll" than, for example Snoop Dogg is hard to accept.

They are both rock & roll as we know it.

5. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

If it was actually about pure playing and composition skills, and not public impact, it would be almost all classical, jazz, and session players. And most of you would be even less happy than you are now.

Penny24, moj, mbd40 and 4 others like this.
  6. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Why No Doubt before Alanis?

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  7. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

That’s pretty damned rock & roll if you ask me

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  8. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

No Doubt and Alanis wow. Black Eyed Peas should go in with that class

9. Why No Doubt at all? As the saying goes, if they’re gonna be in the Hall they better have bought tickets.

Isamet likes this.
  10. beenieman

beenieman Senior Member

Talk about diminishing her musical accomplishments. Do you have similar criteria for men?

KJTC and Grand_Ennui like this.
  11. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

of course

12. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

No Doubt is a slam-dunk, anyone who thinks otherwise is not paying attention

13. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident Thread Starter

Absolutely. Tragic Kingdom is a landmark album of nineties rock. They had some major releases after that. But Tragic Kingdom was on the same level as Dookie and Ten in terms of impact, and only a tier or two below Nevermind and Jagged Little Pill.

IMO, that era of the nineties was the last relevant period of the rock format, when it could still hold its own among the pop, R&B, and hip-hop of the day. I imagine that all the big bands from that era will get in, as the Hall is struggling to identify rock bands of the same caliber as the R&B, hip-hop, and pop artists that are getting in now.

Greenalishi likes this.
  14. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Yeah, Green Day, but, poppy ska. They are in. Hits galore

15. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

You are exactly right. What straight ahead Rock act from the 00's to 20's , are HOF worthy?

I think there will be an era, when it is the 90s up R&B/Pop/Rap/(even Country) artists are dominating the induction ceremonies, people like: Adele , Beyonce ( And Destiny's Child) , Boyz II Men , TLC , Amy Winehouse , Timberlake, Garth , Shania , (maybe) Faith Hill , The Chicks , Nas , Nelly , Tribe Called Quest , WU Tang (and also about 6 of them or so as solo artists) , etc

And what they then will do (sadly, as by this time , they will likely have passed on) , they will induct many of the R'N'R acts that were worthy , that they missed: Priest, Johnny Rivers , Monkees , Guess Who , Paul Revere / Raiders , Chubby , (maybe) Grand Funk , Thin Lizzy , Motorhead , Carly Simon (she was as big or bigger then her husband) , and on and on.

They will have the best of both worlds , Acts that sell tickets to the event and Acts that can "shut-up , some of the people"

KJTC likes this.
  16. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I am honestly still wondering why so many people even care about the "Rock" HOF as an institution? I dunno, maybe it is because I have always seen it as an arbitrary joke, but the only good things to come from it are Prince's guitar solo paying tribute to George Harrison, and then Rush's loud applause as a middle finger to Jan and the institutions mindset as whole

So at this point hell let anybody in, I don't care lol. It is a joke of an institution so I am just here for the laughs

17. More Than A Feeling

More Than A Feeling Little River, Big Adventures!

Predictions for next year

Bad Company - Boomer rock needs some representation. Paul Rodgers iconic singer. 3/4 of classic lineup still alive.
    Mariah Carey - Most number one hits in a career. More women. If Whitney got in Mariah is eventual.
    Eminem - Top 5 all time rapper. (If Eminem isn't counted OutKast take this spot instead. Rolling Stone deservedly love them)
    The Bangles - More women! Honestly them and the Go-Go's are about equal so one being worthy and the other not doesn't really make sense.
    Soundgarden - Legendary group. Crazy to think they haven't gotten in yet.
    If 6: OutKast(If Eminem isn't counted Snoop Dogg goes here. He has tons of friends in the music industry)
    If 7: Pet Shop Boys or Foreigner or Duran Duran(80s slot that can go to any of the three)

Early Influence: Willie Nelson
    Musical Excellence: Timbaland(Biggest music producer of the 21st century. First ever FYE Musican Excellence seeing his first production credit was in 1996?)

18. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

According to Future Rock Legends:

#RockHall2021 induction ceremony news:

*Taylor Swift will induct Carole King

*Paul McCartney will induct the Foo Fighters

*Drew Barrymore will induct The Go-Go's

*Angela Bassett will induct Tina Turner

*Lionel Richie will induct Clarence Avant​

They managed to include who's going to induct the guy who stole all of Rodriguez's money, but not who's going to induct Todd Rundgren.

Also:

It was also announced that Taylor Swift and Jennifer Hudson will perform for Carole King and that Christina Aguilera, Mickey Guyton, H.E.R., and Bryan Adams will perform for Tina Turner.

No surprise that Tina Turner isn't performing, but King had previously indicated she would.​

19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

No doubt some people think that.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Wait. So Alanis not changing the course of rock disqualifies her, but then you throw out get-along-go-along Sheryl Crow? And consistency is pretty irrelevant. Barry Manilow was very consistent.

21. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

No but, I just don’t see how she changed the course of rock….

22. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

How To Watch The 2021 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony

For those who can’t make it, the ceremony will air at a later date on HBO and will be made available for streaming on HBO Max. Sirius XM’s Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Radio channel 310 and Volume channel 106 will also be providing a radio simulcast of the inductions.

23. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Still think it is insane that country music has an awards show every two weeks broadcast on tv yet the Rock N Roll HOF ceremony isn’t.

24. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Good music is good music. Why knock praise?

BluesOvertookMe and Penny24 like this.
  25. beenieman

beenieman Senior Member

If you take the line from Chuck Berry & Little Richard through James Brown then Rap is way more Rock & Roll than Guitar Rock.

But if you take the line from Chuck Berry & Little Richard through The Beatles then Guitar Rock is Rock & Roll.

Just enjoy good music.