The Jimi Hendrix Experience "Los Angeles Forum: April 26,1969" [2022-11-18]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Sep 7, 2022.

1. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

no details yet.............

2. tededfred

tededfred Forum Resident

3. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

JEM512, kees1954, jhm and 8 others like this.
  5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Curious to see who is mastering this

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  6. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Agreed. It's an already finished product that will be released as soon as the legal clouds have passed. Looks like it'll be worth the wait.

musicfan37, Swansong and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

And one suspects legal clouds may be passing, or have passed, with the release of an Experience era concert.

Swansong, jhm, Mullin and 3 others like this.
  8. melkor_morgoth

melkor_morgoth The Real Toe

Was not expecting this! Very excited, hopefully it's well-mastered and mixed (if the sample in that LAist article is representative, sounds like it to me!)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. debased

debased Senior Member

dee, Mark J, kees1954 and 4 others like this.
  10. tededfred

tededfred Forum Resident

Let me rephrase my comment... I can't believe the 1970 box isn't happening this year.

It was ready to go. If the legal issues are resolved why not just release it now? With this release it would appear that legal issues are resolved.

That being said I'm good with this now and looking forward to it. Just get us the box by next spring.

Swansong likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yeah, is this on cd too?

12. tededfred

tededfred Forum Resident

Son of a... It better be on CD.

13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Looks that way:
    Los Angeles Forum – April 26, 1969 presents an extraordinary live performance by the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Before a raucous, sold-out house, Hendrix, drummer Mitch Mitchell and bassist Noel Redding tore through a unique set featuring highlights such as "I Don't Live Today," "Purple Haze," "Red House," and an astonishing medley of "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" and Cream's "Sunshine Of Your Love". This pristine recording, newly mixed by Hendrix's long-time engineer Eddie Kramer, captures the original Jimi Hendrix Experience in their unrivalled, peak form. A portion of this performance was previously included as part of a short-lived Westwood One radio documentary box set [Lifelines 1990-1992] but has been unavailable in any form for two decades. The CD release with a 24 page booklet--complete with liner notes from ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons who witnessed the show first hand--gives this seminal performance its proper platform, presenting the complete performance mixed directly from the original eight-track master tapes.

TRACKLIST

Side A

1. Introduction
    2. Tax Free
    3. Foxey Lady

Side B

1. Red House
    2. Spanish Castle Magic

Side C

1. Star Spangled Banner
    2. Purple Haze
    3. I Don’t Live Today

Side D

1. MEDLEY Voodoo Child (Slight Return) / Sunshine Of Your Love / Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

14. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

"A portion of this performance was previously included as part of a short-lived Westwood One radio documentary box set [Lifelines 1990-1992] but has been unavailable in any form for two decades." (Quote from above product description.)

A portion? Try everything except Foxey Lady. So...a big, big "portion" was previously released on Lifelines.

Anyway, still glad to see this. I'll take a new mix of this performance.

15. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Maybe EH figured that, with the current vinyl backlog and supply chain issues that are going on right now, that this would be a more feasible release than a 5 LP/3 CD and Blu-Ray box set?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    wildstar, 905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Foxy was dropped 30 years ago due to the space limits of CD. Hopefully they can add the intro and FL and between songs stuff without too many edits and at the right speed.

Paper is also a supply issue. I'm still blaming Adele.

17. A great show. I'm sure it will sound awesome. On the other hand, Billy Gibbons on the liner notes is sure to have some falsifications. :)

18. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i think this is a SBD if i remember. glad its not another bootleg audience at least.

19. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

There have been ugly Hendrix covers over the years, but this one’s a contender for the top prize.

20. PacificOceanBlue

Agreed. Because of the cover, at first I figured this was another public domain/grey area release.

Buda, Danikk74, andrewskyDE and 20 others like this.
  21. Library Eye

Library Eye Forum Resident

And that gig's rendition could be found as the final number on the 1989 CD bonus track reissue of this…
    The Jimi Hendrix Concerts - Wikipedia
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  22. PacificOceanBlue

This concert, along with San Diego, should have been officially released years ago, both in their entirety. EH has been overseeing the catalogue for 25 years, and these two prime concerts have been overlooked for far too long.

23. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

One does hope this release signals the legal issues have been resolved, if indeed that is what was holding up the Electric Lady Studios box. And that, maybe, they decided do LA Forum first because the box set calls for the ramping up of a more substantial hype campaign...Actually, I'm not too happy with this particular rationale: Live At The L.A. Forum doesn't seem to be out until 11/18, which doesn't seem like a rush-job placeholder for the box. Wouldn't November/December be the logical timing for a box set? Sigh. Another round of speculation.

Hey wait - the box set was originally planned for March 25, right? Did anyone actually specify which year?!

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

slipkid, bluesbro, C6H12O6 and 13 others like this.
  25. JimiHendrix

JimiHendrix Forum Resident